Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My theory on the JT-Cardale Situation and Urban's Decision ( not a conspiracy theory)

0 HS
T-townBuckeye's picture
October 18, 2015 at 1:39am
58 Comments

DISCLAIMER: This is not a conspiracy-tin-foil hat, Urban made promises to Cardale or Ted Ginn Sr. thread. ( IMO I think Urban would have been fine if Cardale went pro, It would have made his QB decision a lot easier) 

Instead this is my opinion of how the situation developed and Urban's logic behind picking Cardale. Take it FWIW:

I think the fact that JT couldn't participate fully until fall camp really hurt him. Urban said JT needed to beat Cardale out (which is fair, Cardale won a natty) and he wasn't able to do that while splitting reps.

When Cardale started the first game, he began getting full reps with the first team in practice, further hurting JT's opportunity to "beat him out." The games JT got in, he had been getting reps with the two's, was rusty, and forced some plays, solidifying his role as the backup. Simultaneously, with the outside pressure on Urban to pick a full time starter, he went with Cardale.

Unfortunately, the experiment wasn't working well. Hence the JT in the red zone solution. This allowed JT an opportunity to work with the ones and work himself back into the QB conversation. Tonight, JT got his chance and seized it.

I think the reason JT only threw 4 passes is because he's primarily been working on zone read plays, and red zone passing. Of the 4 passes he had, I remember 3 of them being:  a red zone play action, a back shoulder end zone fade, the infamous jump pass. All red zone specialty plays in my opinion. Now that JT had his opportunity to shine and made the most of it, I (along with most others)  believe he gets the nod next week and they begin to open the playbook a bit more for him after more time spent with the ones. 

I love both these guys and what they've done for us. I've seen a lot of crazy questioning on Urban's decision making here all season and thought I'd post my #take on the situation. Take it as you will or rip me for starting another QB thread... Either way the bucks are 7-0 and that's all that matters. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 58 Comments