Blast From The Past: Oct. 17, 2009 // Purdue

Matt Gutridge's picture
October 16, 2015 at 5:06pm
20 Comments

NO. 7 Ohio State AT PURDUE October 17, 2009
  1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
No. 7 Ohio State 7 0 0 11 18
PURDUE 3 6 14 3 26
Ohio State 2009Not many people had Rose Bowl thoughts after the 2009 Purdue game.
BACKGROUND

The Buckeyes entered this game with a 5-1 record. Ohio State opened the season with a 31-27 win over Navy. The second game of the season the Buckeyes lost a heart-breaker 15-18 to No. 3 USC in the Horseshoe. Ohio State then won then next four games and was ranked seventh in the nation. Purdue came into this game with 1-5 record and was on a five-game losing streak. 

Pryor
Ohio State finished the game with 66 yards rushing and 5 turnovers.
OHIO STATE PLAYERS
  • Terrelle Pryor was 17/31 passing for 221 yards and a touchdown. He rushed for 34 yards and a touchdown. Pryor also threw 2 interceptions and lost 2 fumbles. 
  • DeVier Posey had 9 receptions for 87 yards and a touchdown.
  • Brandon Saine rushed for 32 yards (4.6 ypc).
  • Chimdi Chekwa had an interception.

PURDUE PLAYERS
  • QB Joey Elliott was 31/50 for 281 yards, 2 TDs and an INT.
  • Ralph Bolden rushed for 43 yards (2.5 ypc).
  • Keith Smith led all players with 12 receptions for 125 yards.
  • Aaron Valentin had 97 receiving yards (9.7 ypr) and 2 touchdowns.
  • Brandon King had 2 interception.

2009This was the darkest day of the 2009 season. Fortunately the Buckeyes rebounded.

KEY PLAYS OF THE GAME

From espn.com

Ohio State got the ball back and moved into Purdue territory. Kerrigan sacked Pryor on a third-and-5, setting up a fourth-and-14 from the Purdue 38. Pryor's inaccurate deep pass was batted away by David Pender, and Purdue took over.

The Boilermakers appeared to be stopped when a screen pass on 3rd and-9 went nowhere, but one more mistake ended the Buckeyes chances. Doug Worthington was flagged for a facemask and the personal foul gave Purdue a first down and the Boilermakers could kneel out the clock.

QUOTABLE

Terrelle Pryor's thoughts about the game per espn.com:

"Yeah, it hurts," said Pryor, who threw two interceptions and lost two fumbles. "Right now, we've just got to be worried about the Big Ten because the national championship is gone.

Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan:

"It's an unbelievable feeling, I'm speechless. There's no words to describe how good this feels. It's a new season now."

THE REST OF THE STORY

Pryor was prophetic when he said the team needed to focus on the Big Ten. Ohio State would not lose another game and finished the 2009 season with six consecutive wins and its fifth straight Big Ten title.

The Buckeyes faced No. 7 Oregon in the 2010 Rose Bowl and won 26-17. Ohio State finished the season as Big Ten champs, Rose Bowl champs and ranked No. 5.

MY THOUGHTS OF THE 2009 PURDUE GAME

I was only able to watch the first quarter of this game due to the wedding of my wife's cousin. I had to listen to the rest of the game on a radio in the back of the church and in the crying room with my one month-old son. From what Paul Keels described on the radio I was fortunate I didn't have to witness it.

Ohio State's 2009 Schedule and Results
Oppontent Result Score
Navy W 31-27
USC L 15-18
vs. Toledo* W 38-0
Illinois W 30-0
at Indiana W 33-14
Wisconsin W 31-13
at Purdue L 18-26
Minnesota W 38-7
New Mexico State W 45-0
at No. 11 Penn State W 24-7
No. 15 Iowa W 27-24 OT
at That Team W 21-10
Rose Bowl: No. 7 Oregon W 26-17

Total 11-2 377-163
Big Ten: 1st  11-2 29-13

*Game played in Cleveland

THIS WEEK'S ARTICLES
The Rundown: Penn State at No. 1 Ohio State
Recruiting Recon: Penn State's Offense
Recruiting Recon: Penn State's Defense
The Series History

NEXT ARTICLES

Ohio State On This Date: 10-17
The Prep Tracker Week 9

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments