Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

If you were unfortunate enough to try to defend the Buckeyes?

0 HS
cmented36's picture
September 23, 2015 at 10:50am
34 Comments

If you were fortunate enough to make 6-7 figures as a D Coordinator but unfortunate enough that it wasn't at OSU, how would you scheme to slow down this years offense?

I think it's been shown that the offense has struggled this year with blocking the 3-4 (even though they pimp slapped Wisky last year). I have a feeling this has more to do with the personnel than the actual alignment. I think traditionally most 3-4's have a larger D line than OSU's been seeing, due to Vtech showing at times the line will struggle with quicker, more athletic linemen. I think if I was coaching a defense I would play basically the same with two quicker ends and a DT closer to a 3tech player than a traditional nose guard. I would also probably stick with a nickel package in the backend closer to a 3-3-5 alignment having the extra DB as another cover corner, I'd roller the SS to the passing strength and shift the LB towards the run strength/opposite the RB if defined. I'd play mostly cover 2 man/ cover 1 man/ cover 2 zone and keep the FS overtop, having only to worry about the run 10+ yds downfield. I would let the DL loose with the goal to be penetration and shooting gaps instead of particularly being worried about being gap sound, cause havoc, disrupt the timing, and get to the QB, DE's on the inside shoulder of both tackles, nose head up. Have the LB's running downhill with a very strong run first mentality, and depending on the situation, have one designated to play run through pass rush on every play. 

I think most of the issues have been self inflicted on the Bucks with the play calling but I think a lot of it also has to do with the quicker athletic players shooting gaps and slanting, keeping a very active front has seemed to cause rhythm issues in the backfield. I think with the play calling we've seen for the most part this year this would be my choice for defending the Bucks, but I think when they decide to switch it up, you pretty much just have to pray Meyer respects you enough to not run it up big. 

I'm usually a big fan of a 4-3 defense but I think something of this variety would be somebody's best bet at this point in the season, but obviously having a team with the personnel that are talented enough to play something like this for 4 quarters against OSU is pretty difficult to find. I guess I'm just interested to see what you all think you'd try if you made the money to get beat down. (I apologize, it is Wednesday and the week is dragging.) 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 34 Comments