Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Lack of Common Sense Fueled the Braxton Rumors

0 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture
July 10, 2015 at 2:38pm
13 Comments

I'd meant to comment in this morning's Skully thread that the sports media could have avoided looking so silly on the Braxton transfer rumors if they'd simply focused on "the basics." Well, damn it, I did like four whole minutes of painstaking internet research that I don't want to go to waste, so here goes . . .

I won't rehash all the "common sense" reasons why Braxton was always likely to stay at Ohio State. Most of you know those better than I do.

But it seemed to escape the media that guys like Russell Wilson and Everett Golson had different life situations than Braxton. Maybe all three guys had "strategic" reasons to consider taking advantage of the grad transfer rule, but basic life factors are often are more important. 

Russel Wilson was born in Ohio and then grew up in Richmond, Virginia where he played his high school ball. He then went out-of-state to play football at NC State, albeit not far from Richmond. In 2010, he was drafted by the Rockies and played summer ball, traveling throughout the Mid-Atlantic/southeast. By the time Wilson decided to become a grad transfer to Wisconsin in 2011, he'd become somewhat of jet-setter and really didn't have any roots in Raleigh and/or NC.

Golson was born and raised in Myrtle Beach, SC. He initially committed to UNC before changing his mind and going to Notre Dame. When he was banned from the ND campus due to his academic suspension in 2013, he went back home to Myrtle Beach until his suspension was over. In 2014, after Golson turned the ball over six times in a loss to Arizona State, a reporter said to Golson's head coach, "of course, not all the turnovers were Golson's fault." Kelly responded, "Why not?" When Golson decided to transfer to FSU, his goodbyes probably weren't all that protracted or complicated. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments