Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Date In Gray Box History: Drew Basil, Justin Hilliard and Jashon Cornell (7-2)

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 2, 2015 at 7:32pm
17 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I'm working on it. 

Drew Basil

Drew Basil did not have a comp. rating or ranking for the 2010 class.

ON JULY 2, 2009 DREW BASIL (K) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE
An article from dispatch.com:

Drew Basil, a kicker-punter from Chillicothe, toured Ohio State yesterday, then became the eighth commitment to the 2010 recruiting class.

"I grew up as an Ohio State fan, and my parents and I had talked about (the possibility of committing) before today," Basil said. "But the tour I got, it just made us say 'wow' even more."

Basil, 6 feet 2 and 190 pounds, told coach Jim Tressel his decision in person. Though the Buckeyes project Basil primarily as a kicker (he was 8 of 12 on field-goal attempts last season), he had a 39.8-yard punting average.

Drew Basil

Ohio State Stats: FG 33 / 42 (.786) XP 169 / 173 (.977)

Justin Hilliard

JUSTIN HILLIARD had a .985 comp. rating and was the 2nd ranked OLB in the 2015 class.

ON JULY 2, 2014 JUSTIN HILLIARD (OLB) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE
An excerpt from John Brandon's Gray Box article:

After a strong June on the recruiting circuit, July is off to an even better start for Ohio State with the commitment of five-star linebacker Justin Hilliard, who made things official just moments ago during a ceremony at his high school, Cincinnati's St. Xavier.

The top player in the state of Ohio chose the Buckeyes over his other finalists: Alabama, Iowa, Michigan and Notre Dame. He also had offers from just about everyone else, including Michigan State, South Carolina, Texas A&M, USC, Florida and Georgia.

Hilliard is the 11th member of the Elite 15, and could very soon be joined by another five-star, Jashon Cornell, who will be announcing his college choice today as well.

[…]

"I just wanted to commit at the right time and I felt that was it," Hilliard told 11W last week. "I'm glad the process is ending because it's time for me to be a recruiter. I'm excited to go out and get a class together that will hopefully be a top-three class nationally. I've been thinking about that since I got my first offer. I want to win."

Jeremy Birmingham's inked article

Hilliards commitment:

Jashon Cornell

JASHON CORNELL had a .975 comp. rating and was the 7th ranked SDE in the 2015 class.

ON JULY 2, 2014 JASHON CORNELL (SDE) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE
An excerpt from Jordan Wagner's Gray Box article:

The Buckeyes added commitment number 12 for their 2015 class when Jashon Cornell announced his decision to select Ohio State over Iowa, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Penn State.

[…]

Cornell has repeatedly mentioned wanting to play with five-star linebacker Justin Hilliard and he'll get his wish. Cornell also formed strong relationships with Larry Johnson Sr. and Urban Meyer. 

"I have a very good connection with both of them," Cornell said of Larry Johnson Sr. and Urban Meyer. "When I was [at Ohio State], it felt like family."

While he was originally expected to announce a decision on August 28, he decided this weekend to move his decision date up to today. 

Cornell's HS highlight tape:

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments