Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Shared 11W Vibe - And Depth at Corner

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
May 15, 2015 at 1:50pm
21 Comments

I've had some questions swirling around in my head for a while on a few specific topics.  I've been especially curious about how we're going to look at (the '1 technique') defensive tackle, depth at cornerback and Dontre Wilson's status. 

So you can imagine my surprise when yesterday, during my typical perusal of 11W, articles on our sophomore defensive tackles, (cornerback) Eli Apple and Dontre Wilson appeared - one right after the other.

Of course, my questions weren't answered.  They probably can't be until well in to fall camp.  I just thought I'd share this unusual phenomenon with my 11W brethren.  Weird, huh?

By the way, I do feel a little better about the prospect of Donovan Munger backing up Tommy Schutt at the '1' after reading that piece.

But I still think we may have a real issue with depth at corner.  Until we know for certain that Marshon Lattimore is up to speed, we have one back-up (Damon Webb) for two starters (Eli Apple and Gareon Conley). 

In my opinion, that is not particularly 'deep'.  Especially, considering the emphasis we put on corner play in our press coverage scheme.

Based on brief exchanges I've had in the past, I realize I'm in the minority with this opinion.  But I don't know why.  Lattimore is coming back from a surgically repaired hamstring.  At a position like corner, that could easily be a lingering problem.

Some say we could just move a safety over if somebody goes down.  On the surface that sounds reasonable because our safeties could probably all fill in at corner successfully.  But then that would leave us in the same spot at safety.  Namely, three viable players available for two spots.

Plus, somebody is going to be named as the 'starting' nickel out of that group, eventually.

We have some promising freshmen coming in.  But of course, they'll all be true freshmen.  They're not even here yet.  Hard to count on that.

I not freaking out about it by any means.  But corner is one of the the most impotant positions in the game.  With the amazing depth we have virtually everywhere else, I think it's worthy of note we don't have great depth at every position. 

We are all hoping for another fifteen game season - depth means more than it ever has.

Or, am I missing something?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments