Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Most Indispensable Buckeye

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
May 12, 2015 at 2:43pm
110 Comments

I saw an article on college football's most indispensable players a while ago on Bleacher Report - and I remember thinking at the time that "indispensable" was an interesting way to look at it.

Usually, the question is more likely to be about the "Most Valuable Player". So, when I noticed a forum post by our own Remy today seeking opinions on 2014's most valuable defender, I thought it might be interesting to ask:

Who do you think is our most indispensable player for 2015?

By the way - to help clarify the actual difference -  the most pertinent definitions I could find as it concerns this question are as follows:

Valuable - a. having desireable or esteemed characteristics or qualities  b. of great use or service

Indispensable - absolutely necessary

So they way I look at it, a player could be valuable - but not necessarily indispensible.  But you might not realize the actual value of an indispensable player until he's not available.

As an example, our sack leader from 2013, Noah Spence, was certainly very valuable - he was our sack leader.  But as the 2014 season unfolded it became  clear he wasn't indispensable.

One could make a similar point about Braxton Miller.

I hope we don't have a player who is absolutely indispensable.  We may be deep enough across the board that we're not so dependent on any one player that he's absolutely necessary for us to reach our goals.

But for the sake of discussion, who is the closest thing we have to absolutely necessary?  Who would be our 'most' indispensable player this season?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 110 Comments