Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My JT Barrett Criticism (bring on the hate fellas)

0 HS
Dmac3212's picture
October 20, 2014 at 12:17pm
172 Comments

I know its almost impossible to criticize JT at this point. He is playing phenomenal football, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about his arm strength against teams the contest each throw.  There was about 5 throws in the Rutgers game that was very worrisome. The ball fluttered (no spiral) , which caused him to under throw receivers. I do not know how he missed the deep ball to Dontre wilson. Only time will tell, but he looks like the type of quarterback that will struggle up North in the weather conditions. 

There are ways to make up for arm strength, all you had to do was watch Peyton Manning last night. His anticipation and timing with receivers is unbelievable. Jt has been very successful doing the same. The times when he missed open receivers in the Rutgers game was when he was late. He waited for receivers to get open instead of throwing them open. He does not have the arm strength to make up for being late. This will come with experience. JT is so used to playing in a spread offense against lesser talent, which gives him the privilege of waiting for receivers to run wide open. Every game this year, he has under thrown receivers when pushing the ball down the field. Sometimes we give him the benefit of the doubt and think he's throwing back shoulder. The VT game was full of under thrown deep balls. Just like Peyton I see him putting up astronomical numbers early in the early season. I just think he might struggle down the road in cold, windy conditions, because his inability to push the ball down the field. I know I am nit-picking, but I am usually I pretty good judge of talent. Luckily for us Buckeye fans, there are not many teams with the ability to play press coverage and challenge the QB to make great throws. Tim Tebow is arguably the greatest CFB player of all time, but he struggled throwing the ball (JT definitely has better arm talent). I think Jt is the man who can lead the Buckeyes to the promise land, but he is not a perfect quarterback. I think defenses like MSU, can really take advantage of the items i mentioned above. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 172 Comments