Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Florida State DB Jalen Ramsey tossed from practice after knocking down QB Jameis Winston

0 HS
airbuckeye's picture
August 11, 2014 at 2:17pm
32 Comments

Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey, one of the Seminoles’ best players, is in hot water with his coach after a series of altercations led to him being kicked out of practice Sunday.

Ramsey got into it with several Florida State players, including knocking quarterback Jameis Winston to the ground, which prompted coach Jimbo Fisher to toss his freshman All-American out of practice.

"It ain't typical. It's not what we're going to do," Fisher told media after practice. "He was told not to do something and he defied me. So we'll judge from there. And I'm very upset with him. It's lack of leadership. It's lack of character.

"He'll decide if he wants to play at Florida State."

Prior to knocking Winston over, Ramsey got into a tussle with starting running back Karlos Williams and shoved receiver Kermit Whitfield in the back after a play. Also, during a non-tackling period, Ramsey took out tight end Ryan Izzo.

Winston hit the turf after a blitzing Ramsey pushed Williams into the Heisman Trophy winner’s legs.

That was the last straw for Fisher, who yelled at Ramsey while he exited to the locker room through the stadium tunnel. Florida State practices are usually closed to the public, but this practice was open to fans because it was the annual media/fan day, which includes a meet-and-greet and autograph session.

"You're going to do things my way or they're not going to play here," Fisher said. "When I tell somebody to do something and they don't do it, it's serious. That's how you have problems."

Last season, Ramsey, who started 14 games, became the first freshman to start at cornerback for Florida State since Deion Sanders. He finished the year with 49 tackles, a sack, an interception, a fumble forced, a fumble recovery and a quarterback hurry on the nation’s No. 1-ranked pass defense.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments