Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Michigan is Now a Basketball School - and I'm Not Ok with That.

+11 HS
BeatMeechigun's picture
March 29, 2021 at 11:27pm
51 Comments

Maybe I'm greedy, maybe it's schadenfreude taken to an unhealthy level, but 

1. I don't want to see the Wolverines taste any success in football

AND

2. I'm not ok with the Wolverines tasting success in basketball either

We all know and relish the Michigan football decline: from powerhouse pre-1950, to AP poll presence rarity post-2007, to dodging games and losing everywhere in 2020.

With the continued state of their programs and ours persisting, Ohio State could very well own both the overall W-L records and most conference titles in the near future - things I could only have dreamed of with faint hope as a kid during the Cooper era.

Ohio State is without a doubt a football school first, but there's no 11th commandment that reads "Thou shalt not be good in both football and basketball". The Buckeyes typically rank about 10th-13th in all-time program success polls for basketball (ahead of TTUN btw) and while a heavy portion of the supporting reasons for that ranking stem from significant successes for OSU in the 1940s (3 Final Fours to go with another in 1939) and 1960s (4 Final Fours), the program saw high level success in exactly 3 years in the 90s ('91, '92, and '99) and a resurgence under Thad Matta with 5 Big Ten titles 2006-2012 and Final Fours in 2007 and 2012. Holtmann has the Bucks back on the radar, but... there are significant things being achieved Up North this year and admittedly we haven't hoisted any type of trophy since 2013.

The Michigan man's battle cry of late has been to default to basketball especially after the Juwan Howard-led program's 2021 Big Ten title (only the school's 3rd conference title since 1986 BTW). Those M fans that exist up here in NW Ohio are more than vocal about their future optimism for the program and have been citing the March performances of the maize and blue since a random year chosen completely arbitrarily ...like 1989 as if that were the start of the modern era of college basketball.

So, my question is - are there really Buckeyes that don't care if Michigan basketball succeeds?? Is it too much to ask that the Wolverines not only stink at football, but at basketball as well?

Do a segment of Buckeye fans not have their skin crawl when they think back to the Fab Five and the 'should have been' season for the '92 Buckeyes? Is there a segment of Buckeye fans that does not care if Michigan eats away at OSU's lead in Final Fours, Big Ten regular season titles, BTT titles, and our head-to-head advantage in the W-L record? I only pray that does not exist.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 51 Comments