Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Top March Madness Moments for the Scarlet & Gray

+9 HS
OhioAgainstTheWorld34's picture
March 19, 2019 at 11:14am
38 Comments

Since the tournament gets slated to start this evening I thought I would compile a list of the top 10 moments the Buckeyes have had in my life time. Disclosure, I was born in 1990 and don't recall those early years with Jim Jackson and company, although I vaguely remember Randy Ayers final years, it was the coming of Jim O'Brien and the Michael Redd/Scoonie Penn years that I recall pretending to knockdown shots as #22 on the Fischer Price goal in the basement.... So here we go....

#10.) 2018 5 Seed Ohio State vs. 12 Seed South Dakota State - In Chris Holtmann's inaugural season as the Buckeye basketball coach he guided the team past all expectations and beat a game Jackrabbits team that had Mike Daum.  It was another game where Keita did his thing and lead the way with 24 points.

#9.) 2015 7 Seed VCU vs. 10 Seed Ohio State - Anytime you get to watch your team win a tournament game in OT, it is a great one.  This was the D'Angelo Russell show down the stretch as he poured in 28.

#8.) 2012 1 Seed Syracuse vs. 2 Seed Ohio State - The signature play in this one for me was an inbound pass lobbed high for Sam Thompson in which he hammered it down.  This one punched the ticket into the Final Four, the Buckeyes last trip there.  That Kansas game still stings a little.

#7.) 2013 2 Seed Ohio State vs. 6 Seed Arizona - If my memory serves me correct the Buckeyes played well early on and held a decent lead in this one before the Sean Miller lead Wildcats tied things up toward the end.  Que LaQuinton Ross from deep.  I am not gonna lie that two game stretch of buzzer beaters was fun.  I really wish we'd have not dug ourselves such a big hole against Wichita State, this team had the defensive prowess and scoring from Deshaun Thomas to win two more against Louisville and TTUN.

#6.) 2007 1 Seed Ohio State vs. 2 Seed Memphis - Outside of the opening round game against Central Connecticut State, this was probably the most anticlimactic, but taking a Calipari lead team to the woodshed will always be something I enjoy.

#5.) 2007 1 Seed Ohio State vs. 2 Seed Georgetown - The near obliteration of Roy Hibbert by Sir Greg Oden will always be something that comes to mind when I think about this game.  But this game had a lot of star power showcased as you think about the two aforementioned names along with Mike Conley and Jeff Green.

#4.) 2013 2 Seed Ohio State vs. 10 Seed Iowa State - Aaron Craft for the win... Do I need to say more?  C'mon Bucks, Friday at 9:50 PM lets repeat the outcome.

#3.) 2007 1 Seed Ohio State vs. 5 Seed Tennessee - I vividly remember thinking at halftime, I can't believe this team may go home... As soon as the half ended I went up stairs, took a shower and changed... You can't convince me otherwise that the changing of clothes didn't spark the largest Ohio State comeback in tournament history.  Man, that was fun... Capped by the Greg Oden block to seal it.

#2.) 1999 3 Seed St. John's vs. 4 Seed Ohio State - So I can recall having this game recorded on VHS and watching it over and over.  This was before the days of uniformed courts so there was that awful huge orange state of Tennessee on the floor, luckily those scarlet uniforms of the Michael Redd and Scoonie Penn years were beautiful.  Ron Artest starred on the Red Storm, if you are looking to kill some time and relive a Buckeye Classic, YouTube doesn't disappoint.

#1.) 2007 1 Seed Ohio State vs. 9 Seed Xavier - Well... I was in attendance and nearly threw up twice but Ron Lewis burying that shot from about 28 feet was absolutely nuts.  We had incredible seats for the action and having two really annoying Louisville fans behind us the entire game bad mouthing the mess out of us was quite awesome to win that and watch A.C. Law send Louisville packing.  Man, it doesn't matter which Kentucky school people cheer for down here.  They are the worst. P.S. Gus Johnson never disappoints.

Here is to hoping this 2019 version can give us a memory or two to add to the list.  It is March and anything can happen.  Chris Holtmann seems to always get the most out of his guys and I like the fact that he has had a week to prepare.  Enjoy the ride because anything that happens now with this Buckeye hoops team is icing on the cake. GO BUCKS!!! Beat Iowa State.  Is anyone heading out to Tulsa, OK?  I know it is extremely unlikely but should we be playing in St. Louis, I do have arrangements in place. Fingers crossed.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments