Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Seth Davis zings Matta & OSU for schedule

0 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture
December 2, 2014 at 12:01pm
38 Comments

I know OSU's ridiculously easy non-conference schedule has been discussed on here quite a bit, and I get it. It's a fair criticism of Matta and his non-conference scheduling tendencies: lots of cupcakes with a few big opponents sprinkled in (get it, cupcakes and sprinkles?...)

But I saw this yesterday from Sports Illustrated writer and CBS analyst Seth Davis from his 'Hoop Thoughts' on si.com, and it made me laugh:

• Ho, hum, another Thanksgiving week is done, and Ohio State never left Columbus. They hosted the Buckeye Classic featuring the likes of Sacred Heart,Campbell and James Madison. The Buckeye Classic will continue in December featuring ... wait for it ... Colgate, High Point and Morehead State. I give Thad Matta credit for signing up to play North Carolina in Chicago in the inaugural CBS Sports Classic on Dec. 20, but the Buckeyes’ only true nonconference road game (at Louisville on Tuesday) was forced upon them by the conference because it is in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge. This is a big-time program, right? Can’t they just step it up a little?

He also had this to say in his prediction for OSU's matchup tonight with Lousiville:

Ohio State at Louisville, Tuesday, 9:30 p.m., ESPN

Louisville has been feasting on really weak teams, and if this game weren’t being played at the KFC! Yum Center, I’d go with the Buckeyes. But as I noted above, Ohio State also has had an easy go of it thanks to a soft, home-cooked schedule. For once, the Buckeyes are the deeper team in a big game, but the Cardinals’ starting five is just too strong.

Louisville 74, Ohio State 68

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments