College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Univ. Texas, Baylor don't like high schools like IMG

+3 HS
1MechEng's picture
July 27, 2017 at 2:50pm
49 Comments

Sports Illustrated has an article that quotes Matt Rhule (Baylor HC) and Tom Herman (Texas HC) as saying that they don't like schools like IMG that poach/recruit HS players from other states (especially Texas!). Rhule even goes so far as to state that no Baylor coaches will step foot in athletic-based schools like IMG. 

Personally, I think this is a major mistake. I get that HS players that go out-of-state for HS are more likely to stay out-of-state for college. I also understand that the NCAA has restrictions on contacting HS recruits that force college coaches to rely on relationships with HS coaches as a means of communications and influence. However, schools like IMG attract the top talent because they can play the best HS teams (and players) in the nation, and provide a much more competitive atmosphere than most local high schools.

I wonder if this is just sour grapes on the parts of Rhule and Herman (though Herman has recruited very well this year, esp. in talent-rich Texas), or if this is being driven by the Texas HS coaches who are losing top players to schools like IMG, Bishop Gorman, etc.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments