Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Obscure/Regional Sodas You Like

+7 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
June 17, 2018 at 5:04pm
121 Comments

When I was a kid, traveling with my family, the first thing I'd do whenever we stopped at a gas station was check the soft drinks section to see what kind of different sodas they might have. I'm sure a lot of you did/do the same.

Now, there's nothing wrong with a good Coca Cola or Sprite or Mountain Dew or Dr Pepper, but sometimes it's good to have more variety, as well to support smaller, perhaps locally-based companies.

Before I ask you for your own picks, I thought I'd list a few of mine.

Cheerwine (North Carolina)

Cheerwine used to be found only in the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia, and parts of North Florida but has recently expanded its operations to include the rest of Florida, which is Miami's boon. Cheerwine has a bold cherry flavor and is perfect for barbecues and summer activities.

Ironbeer (South Florida)

Ironbeer is a fascinating Miami-based soda with a typically Miami history. It was first formulated in Cuba in 1917 and had to relocate during the 1960s from the old country to Miami after Castro's regime nationalized the factory. The soda is sold for fairly cheap at grocery stores and is also available at any self-respecting Cuban eatery alongside other mainstays like Jupina, Materva, and Postobon. The color is a rich caramel like coke, while the flavor has been described alternatively as a "fruity" Dr Pepper or (in my roommate's words) like a melted, carbonated creamsicle.

MacFuddy's Pepper Elixir (Washington)

Unfortunately I've only been able to find this soda once when it was sold in the novelties section of Publix, but I'd love to get my hands on it again. This is a retro-styled soda bottled in Washington by Orca Beverages, and is also a Dr Pepper analogue, only it takes the "pepper" part seriously. The initial flavor is similar to Dr Pepper, but the aftertaste has a spicy black pepper kick which burns all the way down your throat. It sounds unpleasant perhaps, but as a lover of ginger beers it was right up my alley.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 121 Comments