Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XXXIV

+8 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
August 21, 2017 at 1:22pm
27 Comments

After a long absence (a big thank you to Thursdsty for filling in for me with his own series) while vacationing in Europe, I've returned to resume my weekly alliterative musical series.

Up first we have a true classic of American metal from Southern groove metal stars Pantera. Pantera works through a few emotions in their music, mostly anger, but with this song there's a tonal shift away from their usual in-your-face, aggressive style to a more elegaic one. "Cemetery Gates" is a song about facing up to loss, recognizing that some things once lost can't be recovered.

Up next we have a song from Irish-American folk-punk group Flogging Molly. While I've heard some less than stellar reviews of their live performances, no one can doubt Flogging Molly's aptitude for creating songs with that perfect blend of traditional Irish verve and modern American rock. The song I'm including here is one of my favorites of theirs, a ballad that's equal parts comical and heartfelt, with a protagonist lamenting missed chances romancing a beautiful but difficult woman who he (spitefully) believes will be worse off without him. This is "Death Valley Queen."

Next we have a banger from rapper Young Jeezy featuring Kanye West. I'm not really a fan of either, but god damn does this song fuck some ears.

So, as you may have heard, there's an eclipse going on soon. In fact it might be beginning right now depending on where you are in the country. Seems like a good time to drop this song then:

And lastly, because I'd like to close on some blues, we have one of the landmark songs of the blues genre, Rolling Stone (Catfish Blues) by Muddy Waters.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments