Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Remembering Apollo 11 and Ohio's Moon

+6 HS
GrandTheftHarley's picture
July 20, 2017 at 2:38pm
9 Comments

I couldn't help but wax nostalgic when I woke up today and remembered that July 20th marked the 48th anniversary of the first Man-on-the-Moon landing. I was a young teenager living on Woodcliff Drive in Whitehall at the time, and had been fervently following the NASA space program since John Glenn's famous Friendship 7 flight from 1962.

It made my heart swell that yet another famous son of Ohio, Neil Armstrong of Wapakoneta, was the first to step foot on the Moon. Although it was a grainy video feed in primetime that memorable evening, I sprawled on the living room floor in front of our TV enraptured by it all.

The '60s was a tumultuous decade in myriad ways, and much of it was a blur to me, but that late July evening in 1969 still stands out in my noggin as a crowning achievement in American and human history.

Advance apologies to any Gen-X or Millennials out there in 11W Land who either were too young to remember the event or weren't even born yet. ;-)

And just to shut the door on the Russians...

That's Ohio's Moon.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 9 Comments