Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XXIX

+8 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
July 3, 2017 at 3:51pm
22 Comments

First song today is one from one of my favorite American power metal bands, Symphony X. This is from one of their older albums which showcases their early sound: corny, bombastic, but epic and endearing. More recently they've embraced a heavy, brutal, almost industrial sound that I find colder and less interesting for all its technical merits. This song features some overwrought yet sincere lyrics such as the chorus:
"Whispers from you, calling out from above
Visions I can't see, like the wind and your love
Whispers to you, calling out through the night
Words I can't hear, graceful figure in white"
This is "Whispers" by Symphony X.

So I know I've been sharing Hundred Waters a lot lately, but I recently discovered that they dropped a new EP last month called "Currency." So naturally I'm eager to share. The sound of this new album is clearly influenced by their patron and label head Skrillex, and features a happier energy than its predecessor, the absolutely wonderful album "The Moon Rang Like a Bell." The song I'm featuring here is smooth, soothing, and ethereal. This is "Everywhere."

Now here's a track that's been working its way back into my heavy rotation after about a year of being forgotten. This song by New York based master of lyricism, Aesop Rock, features a fantastic guest offering by fellow New Yorker C-Rayz Walz (look up his album Ravipops when you have the time, you won't be disappointed). This is "Bent Life" by Aesop Rock.

Now seeing as our nation's birthday (sort of, it's a fake birthday like Jesus's birthday is a fake birthday--he totally wasn't born in December, and the Declaration of Independence was actually signed on August 2nd) soon, I figured I'd end this edition with a patriotic song. So here's Joe Satriani playing the national anthem:

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments