Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

I need some advice from the 11W dad's.

+2 HS
D-Day0043's picture
June 29, 2017 at 8:44pm
94 Comments

My 6 year old son has been looking at some stuff on YouTube that I thought was a little too much for his age. He is a huge fan of Jaws and he likes to look at some other scary movie stuff. So I have cut out his Internet access for a while.

This morning he asked me if he could look at some pictures. He usually looks at Lego stuff and other toys he likes, so I let him. He does this thing where he gets under the covers whenever he plays his games, and he was doing that this morning. I figured he got on YouTube and was looking at videos which he wasn't supposed to be doing, so I lifted up the cover and he had Googled pictures of naked women. I was shocked and totally unprepared for that.

I had a talk with him and let him know he wasn't in trouble, but he had to tell me the truth about where he learned to do that from. He said his best friend told him about it last week. I didn't shame him about it and I explained that I didn't want him to get the wrong idea about that stuff, and secondly you can get computer viruses from pulling up things like that.

Today is a totally different age then when I grew up. Kids have access to so much more stuff. Have any of you dad's had to deal with anything like this? How did you handle it? Is there any way to put a filter on their devices to keep stuff like this from popping up?

I'm still in shock about the whole deal. I called his best friends dad and gave him a heads up, and told him that we still love the little guy and he doesn't have to stop being finds with my son. I just wanted him to keep an eye on what he was doing.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 94 Comments