Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Taking Up Abe's Fight - Anyone have a hookup at OSU Athletics?

0 HS
93ReefBlue's picture
January 30, 2016 at 10:49am
19 Comments

Hey 11 Warriors,

I work for a company that has a regional office in TSUN.  Well my colleague and a close personal friend told me the story of her friend's son, Abe.  Abe is in his teens now and loves the Buckeyes.  Abe has had quite the rough path and has an amazing attitude.  My goal is to maybe get a shout out or photo from Urban/OSU/Whoever.  I am pretty much Twitter inept so not sure where to start.  I thought someone here might be able to help me out.  His story is below:

"Here's a summary of Abe's journey!

In June of 2004, Abe, who was 3, started having quick headaches where he would grab the back of his head and cry and then it would be over in a couple minutes. I called the pediatrician and he told me to journal it and record foods he was eating. On day 5, he woke up and threw up. He complained his head hurt bad so I took him to the pediatrician immediately. They did an exam and  sent us straight to the hospital for a CAT scan. A couple hours later we were taken down a long hall to a quiet private room where our pediatrician was on the phone and he informed us our child had a brain tumor (called medullablastoma)  and needed surgery immediately. We were admitted and less than 24 hours later, Abe went in for brain surgery. The tumor was attached to his cerebellum and his walking, sitting up and balance were all affected. We also learned the cancer had metastasized throughout his whole brain and spinal column. He developed hydrocephalus shortly after surgery and required another brain surgery to place a shunt in his head. Then the daily radiation treatments began on his whole brain and spine. After 6 weeks of that and having 2nd degree burns on his scalp and back, the 9 months of chemo began. We were inpatient a week and then home a week and inpatient a week and home a week. That continued the whole treatment. Then a few months after treatment ended, Abe had his first stroke. He then had another one which left his left side very weak, he was blind for a few days and he had to have therapy to learn to speak and use his left side again. A lot of therapy followed. Then things stayed quiet and we focused on his learning disabilities that had resulted due to treatment and the physical therapy and occupational therapy to make him stronger. Then in 2012 we noticed a bump on the back of his skull. It was diagnosed that he had another type of cancer called osteosarcoma, that was the result of the radiation he had received years earlier. He had major surgery in October2012 to remove a large portion of the back of his skull. At this time, they also had to remove part of his trapezius muscle to cover his brain since there was no bone to protect it. That surgery also required a skin craft and was a long, painful recovery process. The surgery was followed by 9 more months of high- dose chemotherapy treatment in which he would be in the hospital for 5 days, then out a week, then back in a week, and the process continued.

Then everything was smooth until a routine scan in 2015. Abe was displaying no symptoms but the scan showed a recurrence of osteosarcoma in his dura. He underwent a 7 1/2 hour surgery and it was removed on December 1st. He is no longer able to receive any high dose chemotherapy and their are no protocols for his current condition. We are working with oncologists to determine what can be done at this point. We have gone for second and third opinions and no one has seen anyone still alive after all he's been thru. He has tried one chemotherapy that was supposed to be very easy and have minimal side effects, but it has had to be stopped due to his inability to process it correctly. He is an amazing kid!!"

Any help would be so so appreciated.

Jeff

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments