Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Parenting Question: When you disagree with a sitter

0 HS
osu07asu10's picture
January 21, 2016 at 9:06am
190 Comments

Last week, YTown postured if it was ok to leave your baby/kid in the car to run into the gas station to get beer pay cash for gas. I fall into the category of yes, it is quite fine to leave your kid in the car to go grab some beer. For me, if my car is running the key fob is in my pocket and the car can't go anywhere without it and I lock the doors. If it isn't running, I lock the doors.

Today, this was taken to a whole new level. We take BST-1 (Baby 07/10-1 for the F'n Newbs) to a babysitter during the day. It is to a family's house who has two kids of their own, and watches one other girl BST-1's age (16 months). They are reasonably priced and they love BST-1 and BST-1 loves being there. They came to her b-day party, got her a christmas gift, etc. We feel really lucky...

Today though, I go to drop BST-1 off and realize I left her bag (lunch, diapers, milk) at home and had to go back to get it. So I'm on my way back to the sitter's house and I'm about 2 blocks from her house (8-10 houses) and I see the sitter and her two kids all bundled up walking to the bus stop, but I don't see BST-1 or the other baby.

I didn't really believe it at first but then as I pulled in to her driveway, the sitter came sprinting back to her house to get the bag. I was too shocked to even say anything but I think my WTF?!?!?!?! face adequately conveyed my emotions.

I would never walk 2 blocks from my house and leave BST-1 in the house by herself, sleeping or not (she shouldn't be sleeping at that time, it isn't nap time). I'm not a helicopter parent by any means but I can't justify leaving two 16 month old kids in a house by themselves to take a 6 and 8 year old to the bus stop. I also know that if I leave BST-1 alone for 30 seconds, she is probably on the kitchen counter, kitchen table, sticking her head in the toilet, or generally doing something that requires supervision. The kid is a f'n ninja.

I didn't say anything because Mrs. 07/10 loves them and before I turned it up to 11, maybe the Dad was inside? I don't know. It just left a really, really, REALLY, bad taste in my mouth.

Am I wrong here? What are other 11w parent's thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 190 Comments