Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer met with reporters Wednesday after practice. Here’s what you need to know about what he said:
- Meyer won’t have a script written for Cardale Jones to come in and spell starting quarterback J.T. Barrett. “We’re not gonna do that … just be ready to go.”
- Meyer on his pre-game message to Barrett: "That’s a great question, it’s not like in the second chapter of coaching 101. Everybody’s demeanors are different … I anticipate anxiety … Every player’s different. Tom Herman has done a really good job with J.T. It’s gonna be his first Thursday practice as a starting quarterback tomorrow."
- Meyer said Ohio State made a decision to start preparing for Navy “day one” of training camp. “I think we have a handle on it, but I think who we’re playing is really good at it. This is one of the better ones I’ve seen over the years as far as efficiency, as far as production out of their quarterback."
- Meyer confirmed freshman cornerback Marshon Lattimore had surgery for a pulled hamstring he first hurt back in high school: "He did pretty good during the summer ... we had some issues and then we all said, 'God doesn’t make a hamstring to be sore for five months.' He had surgery today, it’s about a three-month injury. He’ll redshirt this year and be ready for spring."
- Meyer said he’s excited to watch his running backs play and added they’ve done everything asked of them. “Bri’onte (Dunn) and Rod (Smith) were kind of written off, we didn’t talk about them but they’re not written off anymore. They had a good training camp."
- Meyer said he recruited Curtis Samuel to be an H-back. “He just was so productive in the spring at running back that we kept him there, we’re all anxious to see what he can do.”
- Meyer on Navy: "You can't three-and-out against this team, that's when you've got problems."