Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

What happened 11W?

Stellar's picture
July 2, 2014 at 8:56pm
36 Comments

Two 5 star guys commit to Ohio State and ElevenWarriors crashes at the same time? How dissapointing it was to be locked out of the best buckeye site on the web.

What happened? Did the sudden traffic spike really crash the servers? You guys have handled other major announcements just fine in the past as well as other high traffic events like game days and Signing day. Perhaps the new site design is to blame? Or some unrelated server trouble at an inopportune time?

I'm not trying to complain because you guys do such a great job hereq - just curious what happened and hoping it can be fixed so we don't miss out on any more big buckeye moments in the future!

tennbuckeye19's picture

Man, I heard MGoBlog didn't have any problems today whatsoever...

+51 HS
BierStube's picture

Truth be known, they have never had this sort of problem...

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+7 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Didn't know about Eleven Warriors at the time but I read that it crashed when Vonn Bell committed. You have to understand what a huge spike it is in users on the server when something like that happens. Even sites like Twitter and Facebook have server issues occasionally when there are huge spikes in people using the site.

+2 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Raekwon was the first to KO 11W, Birm forgot to put the cover letter stating 5 star Wednesday, shame really, now his 8 bosses are going to tell him about it tomorrow at work.

+5 HS
OSUpawn's picture

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I posted a gif.

Two, to be honest.

I feel shame.

+20 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I left my cubicle, my office. Hell, the building...

But yeah, that was pretty much my reaction around 10:20 this morning, CB.

+2 HS
rdubs's picture

I think Pantoni's to blame for dropping this bomb on Buckeye nation:

+4 HS
Killer nuts's picture

You should demand a refund 

+10 HS
rdubs's picture

Tough crowd, they already extended your subscription:

+20 HS
holtzy's picture

Birm tripped over the power cord again.

+13 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Our old fav Beverly D'Angelo didn't flip the light switch in the garage again.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+9 HS
BuckeyeNTexas's picture

+1

.“In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team.”― Jean-Paul Sartre

Crimson's picture

To be fair, I visited two other Buckeye sports sites for the first time in a long time, and they were down too.  The recruiting pages anyway.

+2 HS
BierStube's picture

Now you have something for the next "confessional" thread.

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+2 HS
TexasBuck11's picture

While I agree that I would've liked to access the best bucks site on the web this morning, I have to admit, the fact that the site was crashed brought a smile to my face. I would rather the site go down when there is good news than to have the ability to log on and read about how Hilliard and cornell chose ND.

+2 HS
Sebastian's picture

MichiganTears Short Circuit

+1 HS
brumon's picture

Fickell is to blame

+3 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

We need to formally request that all commitments take place at 3am when site traffic is low.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
Daddypete's picture

When I came to the site this morning after reading the Cincy Enquirer, I knew it was a good omen that the site was down...went over to ESPN.com and at least got the news about the commitment. Funny thing was my son texted me the info at 10:08am and I got that text at 9pm this evening. I guess AT&T did not want to reach out and touch me. awesome day to be a buckeye fan and thanks Birm for the extra years "prescription". That is a little pharmacy humor for all my customers that come in to get their "subscriptions" refilled.

"Stand and Deliver!"

+2 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

The site was actually down for me yesterday, so it wasn't just Cornell/Hilliard traffic. That doesn't eliminate it as a factor, but I think it's more than that. 

That said, this fiasco has really taught me that ESPN sucks and there's nowhere out there quite as good as 11w for Buckeye news. 

Knarcisi's picture

So, I heard we broke the Internet today ...

+2 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

Trying to get the servers back online

+3 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

It's mostly just a function of our growth. Our hosting company said there were up to 5,500 simultaneous connections hammering the site when it went down. There's not a lot we can do about that, beyond shelling out for a bigger server and we already pay the equivalent of a small car's worth of money in annual hosting fees.

We're going to work on some things to ensure we can avoid things like this as best we can going forward, but at some point, it's just a server for an independent outfit and we're going to have some hiccups. I do take exception with the fact we were down for over four hours, though. That's unacceptable.

One Bad Buckeye's picture

When the site went down, my thoughts immediately went to all of you guys (the staff members) watching the action go down like the rest of us fans and then suddenly the oh-shit-o-meter spiked to 100+ and you probably didn't get to enjoy the great news as much as you might have hoped.  As a small business owner myself, I can appreciate or rather relate to the heartbreak, panic and eventual frustration you guys must have felt during those four hours which probably felt like four days.  

I know I speak for many other members of the 11W community, I truly love the site and respect and appreciate everything you guys do.  

Go Bucks!

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+5 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

i would like to advertise on the site...not through Google ads....Is there any way to do that?

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

Earle's picture

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/advertise

Priestas, do I get some sort of a commission or finders fee?

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS

i checked the media kit from 2012...old format page....doesnt look like the same advertising is available....and since my book is on how to sell, chapter 46 tells how referrals should never come with a referral fee, as a referral is a great way to gain credibility....because you a re referring for the right reason.

www.the3wows.com , by the way.....

www.septemberheisman.com

Earle's picture

Ha!  I'm not sure credibility is going to buy me much in this context.

Just be careful, things didn't work out too well for the last guy who tried to hawk his wares here, but then again, that was because he started yelling at people.

+1 HS

I figure if I advertise, i can accomplish two goals...1.  i can sell more books.  2.  I can support 11W so they don't have a "Pepsi Syndrome" event when we get a 5 star.....

www.septemberheisman.com

Earle's picture

Yeah, I'm guessing that if you're some sort of sales guru, you've probably figured out not to yell at potential customers already.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I'm still waiting on my helmet sticker compensation

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

We appreciate you! I would buy a hat if there were any to order! 11w is the best!

I season my simple food with hunger

BHT's picture

Don't worry about it Jason. We know (we can guess) how much hard work it takes for you to run this wonderful site. Yes, I was bored for 5 hours, but this site is a wonderful site. You guys do a great job with this site.

albinomosquito's picture

I consider it an accomplishment!

+1 HS