Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Tatum 1.03 Release Notes

Jason Priestas's picture
March 1, 2014 at 2:34am
45 Comments

Let's call this the performance update. Some of these fixes and features rolled out early, but most are just hitting the site tonight.

• Fixed the performance problems with mobile Safari. You're now free to scroll longer comment threads on your iPhone or iPad without injuring your thumb. It flies now. FINALLY. Give it a try.
  • Spell check works in the editor now – with a catch. Since right-click is used by the editor, you must hold down Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) when right-clicking a misspelled word to get suggestions.
  • Cut front page Buckshot count from 5 to 3. Lowered font size for headlines on these Buckshots.
  • Buckshots now support OpenGraph and Twitter card images.
  • Featured articles are no longer providing a double-slashed link to click on (transparent and didn't break anything, but annoying).
  • Article Facebook share count now shows correctly.
  • Fix for section pages that weren't displaying any content when there weren't at least three pieces featured.
  • Fixed errors being thrown by the user profile page.
  • Fix for issue where visitors could see unpublished articles in an author's activity stream.
  • User menu works for iPhone and iPad now.
  • Opened the Premium Membership Lounge.

We still have quite a few issues to complete, including fixes for IE8, Samsung Galaxy, and Firefox.

As always, thanks for your patience while we work through this.

buckeye_heart's picture

I am part of the Premium Membership lounge!

+2 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

What is in the premium member lounge all I see when I go there is the same stuff that is on the front page without pictures?  How do you get in, how many helmet stickers??

CALPOPPY's picture

If you don't see "Access Denied" then you can get in to the premium lounge. You have to have an account.

But I can't really divulge where the real premium lounge is located. On second thought, you don't want to go to the real premium lounge, it is a silly place.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

A silly place?  Like Camelot?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!

This is probably the best visualization for how it feels around here.

"I have to push the pram a lot."

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Scrolling is great on mobile Safari now for sure! Has been pretty good for a while - but is perfect now. Is there something in the works for the drop downs on mobile Safari? Like pushing on the football menu & being able to click on the schedule? I'll see the menu for a split second & then it disappears. Also, along the same lines - I can get to my account but I have to click my username several times before I can get the menu to stay up long enough to click on it. Thanks.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Yeah, that's on the list, for sure.

Poison nuts's picture

Thank you & in all sincerity - your work to get things fixed up & taking suggestions to heart is greatly appreciated. Some people spend their time on the internet on social media sites or wherever - I spend my time on the internet here. Knowing that the people who make things go on this really give a sh*t, is very, very cool.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

SilverState's picture
Anyone else feel as though the current headlines are a little hard to read? Depending on the picture...

The caption when hovering is a lot easier on the eyes to me:

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Some photos are going to work better than others. We'll see if there are other things we can do.

brandonbauer87's picture

<insert congratulatory GIF>

Hovenaut's picture

The Lounge is open.

Have fun all...and please follow the instructions.

+3 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Damn Hov, I thought you promised to delete that footage of me!

Football is complicated...

+1 HS
bukyze's picture

I use Chrome, and the main black header still extends down too far.  I can barely see the bottom part of 'Active' in the 'Active Discussions' headline at the top right.  On the main page, it cuts into a large part of the 3 main headlines along the top.

Jason Priestas's picture

Do yo have your resolution jacked way up or something? Here's my view on a standard 13" laptop screen.

My view...

JYBUCKEYE's picture

What problems are you having with the samsung galaxy?  I'm thinking of switching to the galaxy from my iPhone. 

Jason Priestas's picture

Layout issues.

JYBUCKEYE's picture

Thanks for the reply. Definitely not gonna switch until that's figured out. 

CALPOPPY's picture

Jason, you weren't kidding that scrolling is significantly faster. Awesome!

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

What is in the premium member lounge all I see when I go there is the same stuff that is on the front page without pictures?  How do you get in, how many helmet stickers??

-1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Now that's fast

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

CALPOPPY's picture

It is a situation like this where I wish we had the ability to hide images.

This hurts my brain.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+2 HS
FitzBuck's picture

With the super fast scrolling you don't have to look at it long......you're right I think I had a seizure.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Great job Jason

BlockO's picture

Hey Jason, Just wondering if there was a way to post things (offers, events, blogs, etc.) in the premium lounge that would not be available for the whole site to see. I think that it would restore more of the communal feel of the site. This is a great way imo to take advantage of the premium lounge.

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

-2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

I really would like to avoid things like that because we want to stay free and accessible for everyone and that's kind of a step down the premium path.

FitzBuck's picture

The premium lounge has always been a joke about the leaderboard and helmet stickers. I'm with Jason Let's keep it that way.

+9 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Wooooooo hooooooo

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

Fitzbuck, what movie or show is this from?  It looks so familiar but I can't recall for the life of me.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

OSUStu's picture

Wow, I totally forgot this show existed.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Hooray for spell check.  It helps me pretend to be smart.

+1 HS
GoBucksOSU's picture

What was the reason for cutting Buckshots from 5 to 3? Just increases the chances of missing a Buckshot.

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Screen real estate. Load speed. We're able to put a lot more on the front page now, so Buckshots aren't posted as frequently as they were on the old site. On a busy day we'll have three. Most days, one or two.

Baroclinicity's picture

The Safari fix is great. Keep up the good work!

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Killer nuts's picture

Greatly appreciate the efforts to improve, listen to the people, and make this the best Buckeye site on the interwebs Jason. Keep up the good work 

Seattle Linga's picture

Oh yeah...........

Unky Buck's picture

Thanks for the hard work, Jason and the rest of the staff!

+2 HS
Sebastian's picture

Lower the pics on top of the front page sometimes only half are in view..thanks

flipbuckeye's picture

Works like a dream so far on my Iphone 5 (Safari). 

Killer nuts's picture

I've had issues with a lot of crashing on my iPhone, particularly when commenting and especially when editing a post. Otherwise its working great

Michael's picture

I'm confused about the story flows and where the newest content on 11W is first displayed.

Right now the three marquee stories are "Bucks Fall in Bloomington" (Mar 2 @ 6pm), "Time to Flush the Rush?" (Mar 2 @ 8:15am) and "Can Buckeyes Beam Up Kirk?" (Mar 2 @ 5am).

These all seemingly fall in line in chronological order, but the first story in the main column is "Net-Cutting Lessons Sold Separately" (Mar 2 @ 6am).

I'm also fairly confident that earlier today, the Christian Kirk story was not one of the three marquee stories, but rather, the first story in the main column.

Do new stories begin in the marquee, then funnel down to the main column? Or are the marquee stories the three "biggest" articles currently relevant? I'm just trying to figure out how I'm supposed to be navigating the site.

Jason Priestas's picture

I think you nailed it with your last question. We're using that space for the three biggest articles currently relevant. We have some flexibility with the system and may discover better ways to use these tools, but as of right now, that's pretty much our approach to those three.

Michael's picture

Have you guys possibly thought of having all content fall in the main column but highlighting the top stories in the marquee?

It is kind of a weird user experience seeing stories change positions depending on browsing session.