Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

I Miss You 11W

brandonbauer87's picture
February 11, 2014 at 9:52pm
128 Comments

Dear 11W,

I miss you. I miss us. 

I remember a time when you were my favorite online Buckeye sports bar. Now you're more like that stuffy, snobby, upscale cocktail lounge. You still get me drunk, I just don't drink as often. And I don't enjoy drinking as much as I used to.

I thought Jon Taffer was coming in to re-decorate. I counted to three, opened my eyes, and I didn't even recognize you anymore. 

I got inside and checked out the changes. There was still beer, but I had to count backwards from 100 while gargling water to get any. The jukebox was still there, but I had to use Canadian quarters only. Someone tells me I can still get a burger and fries. I'm not sure I believe him. 

The new bar looks nice, but it just doesn't feel like my bar. I just want easy access to beer and conversation. 

703Buckeye's picture

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+11 HS
FitzBuck's picture

I get what you're saying.  Really.  But change is part of life.  Remember the people that make your "bar" great are still here.  The juke box still plays your favorite music.  They beer you are waiting longer for still tastes as sweet.  Give it time and you will feel at home.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+7 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Keep comments to a minimum so I can still use my phone. 

+15 HS
hodge's picture

I will admit: scrolling the site on an iPhone is a serious pain in the ass.

+18 HS
BEREABUCKEYE's picture

Works great on my old Galaxy S2! :)

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Hodge you are not kidding.  My right thumb is nearly double the size of my left.....wanna thumb Wrestle?

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

el duderino's picture

I'm glad I'm not the only one having a problem with this! I keep accidentally clicking on random links instead of scrolling through the comments. The fat finger downvote has been replaced by the fat finger link click.

"This is a very complicated case: a lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what-have-yous."

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'm loving the new site. I think a lot of people are just used to the old site. Give it a few weeks.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

It just doesn't function as well as the old site. Plain and simple. I appreciate change, and it does look better. Too many things that weren't broken were fixed. I don't want to sound like some ungrateful punk, it's just truth. Fact: I have to scroll through potentially hundreds of comments to view a different post. 

+20 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Remember, this is not set in stone... the staff can and will make adjustments.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

They had the old layout for six years. They haven't even had this one for six days. Refinements will come.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+8 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I understand his dilemma, I can barely use the site on my ipad or iphone - lag is terrible so I have gone back to mostly just reading, and that takes a long load time.  Sort of wish the BETA had been run longer.

Go Bucks!

+6 HS
NW Buckeye's picture

I was having a lot of trouble on my iphone as well.  Tried browsing on Chrome on the iphone, and it is much smoother and faster.  Safari sucks.  

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Yeah, I would think Safari is the issue with iPhones. They're obviously superior machines to my Pantech Marauder (NOT AS DURABLE THO!!!!!!) and scrolling ain't no thing for me.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

CALPOPPY's picture

Too many things that weren't broken were fixed.

And you know this, how?

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

-6 HS
OSUStu's picture

I think this was a statement of opinion.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+6 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

But my point is that most of us don't know why the site was changed. We have ideas and a few comments or statements about why the site was transitioning. But we don't know the details of the situation. Maybe the code was legacy code that wasn't going to allow the staff to implement their vision for the site. In that case, then maybe they fixed all of their problems.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

-2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

I don't want to sound like some ungrateful punk, it's just truth.

It was a statement of fact?

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

-1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Haha.  Although he has affirmed it as "truth", it is, in fact, opinion.

I agree that there could have been underlying issues with the previous site.  But BB was indicating that "too many" things were changed that didn't need changing, I don't want to speak for him but he can say that while also recognizing that some things may have needed to be changed.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

brandonbauer87's picture

You spoke pretty well for me. From my understanding, the changes that were necessary didn't require changing the user experience. If you're going to change, change for the better. Not for the sake of change. 

-1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I had to step away for a few but I came back and thoroughly enjoy it. Someone who works in enterprise software knows every knew release has a few hiccups, adoption is slow, and the end result is usually much better.

Give it time.

EDIT: Jason, if you're reading, please give us the Gray Boxes back!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+8 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Brandon, I am old and change is difficult, but I am working to stay connected here. It takes me more time to find what I am looking for, and I have changed beer preferences and I stocked up on Canadian quarters, but this site is too much a part of my daily routine to let go, so I have to adapt. I feel your pain, though.

+6 HS
ColdBuckeye's picture

I noticed that my subconscious pull to click on 11W has diminished. 

+16 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Just think of it this way - act like you don't remember the old site and the new site is the latest thing since sliced bread.

brandonbauer87's picture

If I didn't remember the old site, I wouldn't still be looking at this one. 

+11 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I looked at the new site & initially, I thought it looked very cool. Then I started actually looking for stuff. I can hardly use it on an IPhone or IPad, I miss a lot of the old features (recent comments, recent blog posts, GRAY BOXES - please, please give those back) and...well, I won't go on a whole rant but I will say that I'm struggling with the new site so far & miss the simplicity of the old site. I thought it was the best site both for the content, but also how easy it was to use. I'm sure I'll adapt, I'm sure they'll make some adjustments, but I tend to agree with the OP - at least for me to this point, it was not a change I'm loving at all...

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+15 HS
Poison nuts's picture

After writing this (above) earlier this week, I did want to mention that you can now edit comments that have been replied to, edit UVs/DVs, & a huge plus - get notified you got a reply from someone to a comment (something I really like), so the new site has some great additions...

I'm getting more used to it now, but still missing Recent Comments, Gray Boxes, Recent Blog posts. Either way, I'm here to stay & still very much appreciate what a great site it is for us unwashed masses to enjoy for free!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I prefer the old 11w, but I do like some of the new features.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
Earle's picture

I promised I wouldn't bring it up again, so I'll just say that Oyster really misses the Recent Comments feature from the old site.

+8 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

He does? I must have been sleeping. But I heard that real champions put that in their signature line.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Did he have 3 dots at the end of the sentence?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

He did not. I've taken the reigns on the dots as it is my signature (hard to see though). Now that people know, Earle will be forever pissed at me.

teddyballgame's picture

I miss the old site too, but eventually I think I can get used to this.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Idea: youtube video from staff telling us where everything is, why it was changed, why some of the old stuff doesn't work the same, etc. I likewise don't like some of the change, but I'm also willing to recognize that these guys care too much to intentionally create problems - maybe some background info would help back some of the old guard away from the ledge. I don't mean to suggest that we're "owed" an explanation - just a humble thought. For example, forums aren't bumped on the home page the same way they were before because (insert logical reason). I'll stop telling you how to better give me free stuff now.

+4 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

It's different but it'll feel like home again here in a bit. The loading has gotten much better since day one. I can't highlight my text anymore so I have to up my sarcasm Earle-style now without the font lol.

Football is complicated...

Earle's picture

No one said the new site didn't have its benefits.

+1 HS
JollyFatMan's picture

Rolled out new software last year. EVERYONE hated it. Now? People are dying to get the new stuff and get away from the old stuff. End game = this is what we got and we aren't going back. Suck it up, help the team work out the kinks, and next thing you know, you will be bitching about the next change in 6 years. ;)

How firm thy friendship..

+2 HS
CC's picture

Would it be better if people didn't express their dislike for the new site and slowly faded away?  The result being less clicks, less ads etc.

KeithMC33's picture

Gentlemen,

I was using internet explorer on the new site and i thought it was a little difficult to navigate through, then i tried it on Google Chrome. Holy crap....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! i i highly recommend going through Chrome, it really makes the navigating experience MUCH easier. This is also coming from someone who doesn't know s#$t about computers, so if i can do it then anyone can!!!

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

I'll say this much: Jason is a damned pro who has been working on this far longer than most would imagine. The man doesn't make a move without first pondering all his options. 

Change is part of the game. If 11W didn't change, eventually it would become outdated and look like a Geocities/Wordpress site.

This new system is cleaner and much easier to publish content. More content = more revenue = more coverage that everyone seems to crave.

I loved the old site, and I too was a bit scared when I heard it was being scrapped. I still would be completely fine with the old site, but as a writer, the new platform is a vast, vast upgrade. It's going to make it very, very hard on our competitors. 

I also think a lot of the navigation issues stem from Safari and IE. Internet Explorer has gone the way of Netscape. Get rid of it. As for Safari, my Pantech Marauder handles the new 11W system flawlessly. So does my girlfriend's iPhone 4, but she uses Chrome as her browser.

I get it, change sucks, but things are rarely as good as you remember them. (If you're a nineties kid like me, try playing GoldenEye 64 sometime for a lesson on this.)

Once Jason bangs out these last few bugs/makes some additions (the man is a pro, as I said) and you get the lay of the land, I think you'll come around on the design. I think what makes 11W great isn't the design, but rather the people involved and the community we have here. Those things remain.

Just my two cents.

osu07asu10's picture

Change is part of the game.

That's it right there DJ, those that adapt stay those who can't fall behind (not specific to 11w)

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

No seriously, I wanted that cheese.  Where is it?

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

I don't like soft cover books.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

I'm lactose intolerant. 

Come to think of it, I'm generally intolerant, period.

By the way, the 90's called:  They want their management theory back.

+9 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Who Moved My Cheese? is a classic book.  The principles in that book will never change and, therefore, I sure as hell won't change.  The 90's can't have their management theories back because I'm using them.  Further, you can tell the 90's to stop living in the past and boldly embrace change, just like the book says.  If I give them their management theories back they'll never get as far as I've gotten.  Why is this so hard for people?    

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Well, it was a joke (imagine that), but I'm amused by your insistence that you won't change, given the theme of the book and your passionate defense of it.

+8 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

He said he wouldn't change, not that he wouldn't move to where his cheese had moved.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Maybe it would have resonated more with me if it had been about bacon.  Do mice like that?

+2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

I don't know about that. I'm not sure how that tastes.

But bacon, mice would probably eat bacon. Especially bacon wrapped around cheese. But if one were to remove the cheese from the bacon then they'd probably skip the bacon to find where the cheese was moved.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Maybe I should change my approach to sarcasm.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Or maybe just switch to decaf.  All in good fun, my friend.

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

vitaminB's picture

my Pantech Marauder

Wow, you really are a Marionaire.  I bet you drink Royal Crown Cola too.  You eliteist snobs make me sick.

Seriously, can we get spellcheck back.

DJ Byrnes's picture

I refuse to text on a touch-screen with predictive text. It absolutely infuriates me. Marauder is cheap, durable and has a banger keyboard. I love the thing. Wouldn't change it for any other phone right now.

As for liquor, I've always been a disciple of Lady Bligh.

And spellcheck will be back. Lord knows my publicly educated ass needs it.

vitaminB's picture

I rocked the Pantech for a couple of years, and I agree about the keyboard, but you'll get used to it..(heard that somewhere before?)

And I was trying to make an RC Cola/Simpsons joke that didn't get off like I thought it would.

Poison nuts's picture

All good points , but I have a serious question: 11 W has competition?

+2 HS
Norwalk's picture

I was a late comer to 11w. I had been a part of Bucknuts for several years both free and paid for a couple years. I only came to 11w when there was a link from their site. I thought 11w was hard to navigate because I had gotten seed to theirs. The changes made here are a great improvement. I like the stories at the top of the front page and find it really easy to view and add comments when I click the forum tab. 1 thing I did like about the old site was that new comments were much easier to find. Otherwise, its still my favorite hangout.

+3 HS
Phoenix824's picture

I appreciate what is said but I use a Samsung G3 and the site is basically unusable at this point for me on my phone so my time on the site has gone down.   I know it will get fixed but it is frustrating so lose what I loved until the bugs get worked out.

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

You take that back - MARIOKART64 4EVERRRRR!

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

MarioKart64 is probably the most timeless n64 game. Followed by Super Smash bros.

Unky Buck's picture

Agreed on both points. My buddy and I would have some epic races of MarioKart64 during some down time while working the kitchen at the Varsity Club.

Both also translated really well to the Wii platform.

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Not buying it, DJ.  Multiplayer/one-hit-kill/slappers-only goldeneye is always BETTER than I remember.  

+4 HS
Jack Fu's picture

My friends and I used to all go into the bathroom in the Facility on slappers only, each get into a stall and close the stall doors. Then we would count to three, and we would all emerge from our stalls at once, slapping furiously.

Yes, I understand how that sounds. And yes, it was intentional.

+3 HS
45OH4IO's picture

I do miss Gray Boxes. I was trained in a Pavlonian way how to find the best stuff with the old site. BUT this change is happening at a perfect time of year where less is happening and all the kinks can get ironed out before the season ramps up. This site does improve credibility with it's fresh look. Now we just have to improve the functionality level equal to that of the old site.

Honestly, with how the bball team is doing, I should probably be thankful I can't find all the latest content covering them! Hey-oo!!

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Wait. The site changed? I haven't noticed. When did this happen? 

Earle's picture

The J-Law gifs are much larger now.  Like I said before, the new site is not without benefit.

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture
Speaking of J-Law. 

I think this might've been her expression when she first started using the new 11W. But after a couple days, she's back to:

+6 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Tenn, I think she was more like...

+5 HS
UrbanCulture's picture

Can anyone explain the three pics/articles at the top are? Are they most recent articles? Most important articles? Just seems kinda out of place

+2 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

These are featured articles, and a way for us to keep the most prominent news... well, prominent, and not have it get buried in the chronological feed that was the old 11W.

SOF_Buckeye's picture

Serving 23 years in the military special ops community, change was always happening, though normally for operational/functional reasons. I always felt it was good to have individuals who wanted all the new, high speed kit, and those who liked the current, operationally proven kit/equipment involved. The former pushed for change- something newer/better (at least in their eyes) all the time; while the latter pushed for status quo, the time proven items. They tempered each other, so that when change happened, it was thought out, tested, and added value/improvement; but kept us from change for changes sake, without added value or purpose. 

I'm adapting to this slowly, but still look back with greater fondness on the 11W that I started with.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+4 HS
CC's picture

SOF-

Well put.  I work in technology and I have a simple test for new technology: "Did it make my life easier or better?".  If not I don't think it should be done.  I'm not always right, for example I didn't see the need for an iPad, woops.  So far the site has made me less active because it takes more effort to find, post and respond.  My guess is that the changes will allow the staff to do things they couldn't in the past, i just haven't really seen them yet.

Honestly I think the layout of the new site leaves a lot to be desired.  I give a pass on the bugs, that's part of development, my issues are more with the design.  The reason I have come here for the last few years is the content, not the layout.  The new site has made the content harder to find.  The top 3 topics in the mousover are confusing, they don't give me what's new.

For the "change is good" crowd, ask yourself why google search still looks the same after 15 years while virtually no other site does.  Change for change sake is not a valid reason.

The only thing I really care about is getting news, forums and 11W staff opinion/articles.  IMO the new site has made getting to that data more difficult.

Just my 2 cents.

+4 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

CC, I think this is an excellent comment. I have my moments of snark when people have complained about the site (see one of my comments above) but that's because some of the comments border on ridiculous. The staff has welcomed criticism but some of the silly comments get in the way of the problems people really have. So you may be better articulating what others have been trying to say.

I find the site much easier to read and I don't have as much a problem finding and responding to comments. But I likely use the site differently (not better, just different).

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
ep's picture

I generally love change and get bored easily, and I think there are a lot of things to like about this redesign.  But generally, I'm more of a minimalist, and prefer the simple to the complicated.  It seems that the powers-that-be love it, and it sounds like there's a bunch of great things on the back-end that have improved... awesome. Anything that improves 11W overall, I'm for.  But visually, I think it's a little too busy, too cluttered.  I think the interface (front page primarily) is too image heavy for a site that is largely based on words of its contributors.  I open the front page and see Nicholas Cage first, not the article titles. I hover over the Football/Basketball dropdown, and see 80% of the screen taken up for 8 links and three large pictures.  I guess, personally, I'd like to see more emphasis on the title and text, and less on the featured image of the article, and why I LOVED the old 11W.  See Medium.com for a text-centric, but still visually appealing site for example.  

Anyway, my 2 cents, as unimportant as it is.  I'll still be here everyday regardless.

+10 HS
KBonay's picture

An iPhone APP could fix the scrolling issue.....is there one in the works?!

+2 HS
vitaminB's picture

I'm working on one that takes all new content and converts it back to the old format.  I'll make millions.................

+7 HS
Oyster's picture

You make that happen and I will throw away my Tracphone and buy an iPhone, I promise.

brandonbauer87's picture

I feel the need to clarify something. I like change and progression. I just think this isn't for the better. It looks different, and that's fine. The staff says it works better for them. Beautiful. My problem with this fact is that Nike doesn't design shoes with the design team's approval in mind. Overhauling the design aspect makes sense. You need to keep the appearance fresh. Overhauling the functionality for users fixes a problem that didn't exist. I hate to be cynical, but the current format makes more page views to access the same content. Intentional?

-1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Don't get the "more clicks to access the same content" thing. It's not like we page break our stories or pimp our stuff for page views. Our QuantCast scores are already good enough.

vitaminB's picture

Mike Mitchell blows your QuantCast scores out of the water.

+5 HS
CC's picture

I don't think it is necessarily more clicks, but rather it is just harder to find stuff.  When I'm search for things it takes more clicks.

There are places where it just takes more clicks.  For example writing this post takes more clicks because I can't go up to the line above without using the mouse.  The focus is annoying.  My assumption is that it was done to help imbedding, tweets etc but it makes a normal text post difficult to write.

The front page takes more clicks because the images resize with the size of my browser window.  My monitor is large and the window is large, when the images resize it basically means no matter how larger my window is I get basically the same content.  In theory I should get more of the 11W site if I have a larger window.  One of my bigest design complaints is that the images are too large which forces me to navigate/scroll to see the content.  For example in the Joey Bosa car post I barely get any of the text without scrolling.  There is a lifesize image of Bosa.  I'd be fine with a small image of Bosa with an option to click on the image if I wanted to see it large enough to see his nose hair.

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Yeah, I don't get the more pageviews argument, either. Old site, you read a couple of paragraphs, click "Read More" and that's two pageviews. New site, you read a blurb, click the link and read the rest of the piece: two pageviews.

vitaminB's picture

I think, and this has already been brought up, the problem is that inorder to find the most recent comments, or to see what everyone is talking about, I have to click on the forum tab, or click on my account and see if I have any replys, when in the past you could just keep refreshing the main page and seeing if someone commented on something.  Just bring that back and all of this complaining goes away.  And if not, I'm going to kill a kitten every 20 minutes and when I kill said kitten I will murmor, "A very particular set of skills." while doing it.

+8 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

VitaminB pretty much nailed it, Jason. I don't really think you have ulterior motives. Not everything is accessible from one page anymore, especially on mobile. No recent threads, no Buckshots unless I'm on the home page, no recent comments. It's just more steps to get to the same places. 

Jason Priestas's picture

Part of that is just life in the mobile era. You put too much on a page for mobile and the experience is slow. I think you'll find that is the situation with every responsive site on earth – desktop shows more because it's assumed you have a faster connection, while you pare down on mobile so the site loads quickly over cellular networks.

brandonbauer87's picture
+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

What is there to disagree about? Take any other site you visit, save the HTML generated for the mobile site and then compare it to the HTML generated for the desktop version. The desktop version will be heavier.

brandonbauer87's picture

I won't argue that fact. I will disagree about the lack of content on mobile. 4g connections are faster than most home internet connections. 

BuckeyeStrong1993's picture

I agree the new site is just too much. I loved our old site so much better. Everyday i would get on here at work and at home , i would go look at other blogs too like MGOblog and other hated rival sites and thought to myself my god our site is so much better than all of these. Now we are right there with them and it sucks it really does. I wish the staff would have included there members of the site and got all of our oppinons on changing the layout seeing how we the ppl are the reason you guys are what you are here at 11W. Its a shame really , I still come here but not like i use too. I thought my oppinion would change after a couple days but no this new site is just awful.

GoBucks!

+2 HS
buckeyebowhunter's picture

I like the new site.  There are some bugs to be worked out to make it more user friendly, but overall I think it looks great.

+3 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Well, on a positive note, since I can't seem to find anything I can just get more work done.

+6 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Tell me about it. That brand new search box at the top has made life brutal.

Junior Samples's picture

I know one thing. The attitude of the staff in response to any criticism has been despicable.

-3 HS
Oyster's picture

Jason doesn't care, it's DJ's problem to deal with now.

+7 HS
Earle's picture

I hear Jason's vacationing with Gordon Gund.

Seriously though, I can't imagine the time and effort that's been put in on the redesign, and I think some of the criticism has been over the top (thanks, internet), so cut Jason a little slack if he gets a little sarcastic now and then (the nerve!) and let him enjoy his holiday.  I have complete confidence that 11W will continue to make improvements and get the vast majority on board with the new site.  For all we know, the vast majority is already there.

So make suggestions, if you will, but let's not bash the very people who made us care so much about this place.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

I think Junior was trying to save the italics for emphasis in this case.  I also doubt that Jason and Mr. Gund are together.  People from Cleveland don't go on "Holiday".

Earle's picture

I may be wrong (it happened once before), but I didn't read it as sarcastic at all, and I usually have my head tilted to one side.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

You let your wife eat cake on your wedding day too?

-1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Search through my comments. If the feedback is well-intentioned, the response is well-intentioned. If not, the response matches the feedback.

The alternative, which other sites do plenty, is to delete the comment/thread or even to downvote comments, none of which we've done.

ToothBuck's picture

No, but you have been known to lock accounts based on how users may have voted on other posts in the past. Fact. 

Jason, you do a lot of good things with the site, and I am sure we have absolutely no idea the amount of work involved, but you really do yourself and the site a great injustice with some of your responses to the community. Please don't take members complaints so personal. Everybody loved this site as their own, and wants to enjoy it as they did before.  I'll paraphrase another user from a few days back, but it is uber important for staff to 'stay above the fray' when interacting and promoting your site.

I miss the old format, but believe the bugs will get worked out. And if the suggestions aren't constructive, you are the big dawg man, let others deal with them because you don't have to.

-1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Since the advent of Helmet Stickers, the only people that have been banned for voting are those that upvoted a homophobic or racist comment. I will continue to ban people that do that because I don't want that stuff on 11W. Since you know this, you probably also know that I have reversed the ban for members that asked to be part of the site again.

That's it. If I wanted to ban people that voted for every comment I disagreed with, half the voters on this thread would be gone. :)

As for staying above the fray, in a sense, you're right and I should be better about that. But, I'm human.

RedStorm45's picture

I have not been able to engage my sarcasm font.  Apologies.

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Since you started with a bar reference Brandon, my advice (and it's my advice for most things, really) is to drink more and see what happens. Often, it's magic.

+1 HS
OSU1995's picture

Have you ever had a cool, unknown band that you really liked? And then the band blew up, and now everybody and their mother likes them. Now you feel that your relationship with that cool band has changed.

“You have to make decisions, ... I've never pretended that every decision I've made was right. And I've been reminded of that.” 
     - James Patrick Tressel

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

+11 HS
BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

OSUStu's image, it seems to me, is making light of those who long for things from the past just because they're from the past.  Folks who use typewriters just because they want others to think they are cool.  Folks who wear clothes and get tattoos in order to communicate the superficial impression that they are cool just because.  Folks are laughing because hipsters who wear scarves in June just for the image aren't very interesting; they aren't very deep and they don't really have anything to say.

Ironically, these are many of the problems folks have with the new site.  The pictures are pretty but large.  The text is huge and is spaced very widely...it looks like Apple, but it's hard to read.  The menus and links to discussion topics are hidden and change depending on how big the window is on your screen. Again, like Apple; the minimalism reduces functionality.  Yes, I know that the "SB Nation" format is "cool" and "trendy."  It's just harder to use and puts the emphasis on pictures instead of words. 

I'm more than happy to repeat another thing I've said: the folks who create and run the site work very hard and have only the best intentions.  And they toil for the best possible reason: they want to share their love for the Buckeyes with us and help all of us form a stronger relationship with all of our Ohio State student-athletes.  It's also very clear that the powers that be have no intention of reducing the amount of great writing they present, and that's what really matters.  Rest assured, no matter what the site looks like or how it functions, I'd happily buy an 11W staffer a beer if I came across one.

I know that the Internet and American society are increasingly turning toward style over substance--believe me, only a small fraction of college students can identify Iraq on a map or name a Supreme Court justice...or even a Beatles song.  I just feel strongly about the change as a result of my distress over this kind of thing.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

OSUStu's picture

Fine points BPL.  But, really I only meant to make light of hipsters.

+1 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

I just found this thread today.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+12 HS
Earle's picture

The fact that I'm not entirely sure whether this is a joke is illustrative of the original point of this thread.

+8 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I think this comment went over a lot of heads. Agree or disagree with my original post, Earle hit a home run here. 

-1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I've settled my bar tab (shoveling snow is very profitable in Maryland now), come join us. It's all good...

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
sbentz4's picture

My one major complaint is that I wish I can use the full site on my phone.  I pretty much hate when mobile sites do not let you switch to desktop format.  I don't have any problems loading on phone, it can handle the full site.  I just think large pages are way easier to navigate that way.  I do not know if this will happen or if there is a work around.

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

I totally agree.  I don't know why I can't switch to the desktop version on my phone which would be much preferred.  

+1 HS
buckskin's picture

I like design of the new site, but I wish it was laid out a little more organized.  I also do not visit as often because it is more difficult to find exactly what I'm looking for.  I pretty much don't view it on my phone anymore.  It would be nice if they could find a way to make the home page as organized and easy to navigate as the old site with all of the new bells and whistles. 

UFest57's picture

This point may have already been made but viewing 11W from the Samsung Galaxy S3 browser is awful. Anyone know a fix besides getting the Chrome browser app?

+1 HS
sbentz4's picture

getting firefox or dolphin...

OSUStu's picture

I tried the the Chrome browser from my S4 and didn't find it to be any better.

Jason Priestas's picture

We're working on this. Thanks for your patience.

Flyermike's picture

I have the Galaxy S3, and the only thing I don't like about this new site is that I can't see the Buckshots on my cell.  Maybe I've got my phone configured wrong?

Jason Priestas's picture

I know we're working on fixes for certain Android devices, including Galaxy, but are you sure the Buckshots aren't at the bottom of the front page?

Flyermike's picture

Well, I guess it would help if I scrolled all the way down.  My bad, Jason.  I know you are putting a lot of work into this new site.  Outside of the drop down issue on the mobile I really dig the new setup.  Oh, and it's still FREE!  Can't please everyone...you could offer a free back massage while you read this site and someone would complain about the size of the massage therapist's hands.  

CALPOPPY's picture

Well, they ARE tiny. I mean, who wants a back massage from a tiny-fingered carney? I expect my next 11W-sent massage therapist to have larger hands or I'll start a Butt hurt thread about it.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

bucki5's picture

Flipboard or another RSS reader on your mobile device is also not a terrible option.

danman9450's picture

I "gave it a week." Content is still great. As for the site, it still sucks. Jon Taffer what do u think?

-2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Still miss the old site, especially the forums

DIRECTIONER

-3 HS
KBonay's picture

One bug that I am still seeing is on iPad.  Can't open your own profile.  When you tap your name, the options come up, but disappear before you can tap anything.