Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Whats the Odds the Embrace of Sports Gambling Will Destroy the Integrity of Sports in the US or Has It Already Been Destroyed?

+8 HS
Toledo87's picture
September 11, 2023 at 12:31pm
58 Comments

Back in 1919 gambling and baseball went hand in hand and look what happened. The difference now is that the Sports Leagues and the media/broadcasters are openly in bed with the gambling companies. Will the corruption and match fixing scandals of that era, modern day international soccer, or the most recent International Tennis match fixing scandal show up in sports here in the US? 

Now there are have been gambling scandals in the US since 1919 but they weren't as widespread in comparison to the early 1900s era and what's happened internationally.

I'm asking because with the rise of legal sports gambling and it's full on embrace by the leagues and media in the last couple years, there have been a significant number of NFL players suspended for gambling, some not necessarily for betting on the NFL. We also have the gambling scandals with Alabama baseball, at Iowa and Iowa State with players betting on games their teams were playing in. Remember gambling is like a drug for many people, it's not gonna matter how much people are paid to play a sport, if they are hooked on gambling. 

Another question is how many players or even refs have not been caught? All you really need is a burner phone, cash app card, and a relative/friend willing to collect.

Personally, I think it's a major mistake to be pushing/glamorizing sports gambling, like they've been doing this season. There's a reason they don't push cigarettes on TV anymore. I just think it's just gonna create more gambling addicts and we are gonna have more Pete Rose's in sports in the near term and major corruption scandals over the long term. People will say there is already illegal sports gambling, well legalizing it brings more money into it and there's now more incentive to fix games than before.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 58 Comments