Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

High and tight boo boo

+7 HS
Zimmy07's picture
December 25, 2016 at 1:55am
46 Comments

i can't remember if this was Darren Lee's mother's tweet at him when he fumbled a pick or it was someone else.

i loved that tweet.

I helped coach youth football in Texas a bit back & saw talent that surprised me.

I did not coach running backs - though I played RB in HS.

i got to coach Line.  Interior Line (do something with these guys - the rest of the coaches don't care about any of your assignments - but make it work.

i read as much as I could about drills on positions I never played & tried to make it serious, but fun.

- anyway one team I was helping with probably had a RB who is about to hit college soon - if he stayed straight - he was that good.

his issue (too me) was using the weight of the football to counterbalance his cuts.

i caught him in a moment where none of his teammates could hear & told him that holding the ball away from his body would be a problem when he started facing equal athletic competition 

I also practiced with my twins about stripping balls loosely held.

the uber talented running back didn't believe I knew anything.

we lost games because of it.

i think my twins may have remembered the practice & stripped someone else during a game years later.

- the hold the ball high & tight went back to when I was 8.  (Actually - 2 both arms before contact - same thing - age 8)

if you fumbled, you ran to the fence - A LONG WAY AWAY!

I did fumble in a game, trying to score - no one could tell me I wasn't the worst person in the world at that point.  I weak arm stiff armed the last defender I could see between me & the end zone & put him down but he stripped the ball from me on the way down.

It was on a cut back due to overpursuit - exactly like what I saw that kid - 20x more talented than me doing.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments