Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

The Cleveland Indians...in the crosshairs.

0 HS
Rob Reese's picture
July 10, 2015 at 3:53pm
31 Comments

The Chief is on life support.  It's only a matter of time before he's gone, whether it be 1 year or 5; he's on the clock.  He's doomed and we all know it.  Despite being one of the most recognized logos in all of sports, and as fond as I am of the Chief, I can easily live without it.  The Cavs have had revolving logos for years and no one's really noticed or cared a great deal.

But what about the team name?  "The Indians" are burned into the N.E. Ohio psyche.  Pretty good chance that ends up in the crosshairs sooner or later, too.  That's a more difficult pill to swallow.  I'm not sure I can cozy up to the Cleveland Black Sox.

I suggest 11W think tank start the process in the very likely renaming of one of MLB's original 16 clubs.

I'll start by offering a name; the Cleveland Tribe.  I admit, it takes a while to get used to and not exactly thinking outside the box.  And I'm still not sure how I even feel about it as the official name.  But it's a name we're familiar with and use already, and keeps to the franchise identity all of us identify Cleveland baseball with.  It also opens the door of allowing fans to unofficially still refer to the team as the Indians, should they chose to, and not feel completely awkward or foreign about it.  

I, personally am not totally adverse to a completely new name if it works.  Although the Cleveland Riverbandits, for instance, I feel would be difficult to reconcile together with the team's long 114 year history and a new franchise tag.

Throw some ideas out there.

Goodbye old friend

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments