Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Stephen Curry - a great quaterback?

0 HS
OnlyOne's picture
May 17, 2015 at 12:15pm
3 Comments

After watching Stephen Curry’s ¾ court shot several times I got to wondering what is it about him and other great athletes, like quarterbacks and high percentage hitters in baseball, that allow them to accomplish such feats.  From my perspective this shot was not just a lucky heave that happened to go in. I am thinking it has got to be more than just muscle memory.  Muscle memory could explain good free throw shooting.  The shooter is always 15 ft from the backboard and the rim is always 10 ft above the court.  Plus the free throw shooter has time to concentrate.  I think it has to be more than lots of practice.  Lots of practice could probably explain good golfers because, again, they have time to assess and concentrate on each shot.  I am thinking there must be something special about Curry’s brain.  In a fraction of a second his mind assesses the situation, distance to and height of the rim, then get his body to launch the ball at the correct angle, with the right amount of effort to reach and go in the basket.  The brains of great quarterbacks, particularly those who are good at moving in the pocket, must also be very special.  In fractions of a second they must avoid oncoming rushers, know where there receivers are supposed to be on the field given the defensive alignment, their current position on the field relative to these positions, then get their bodies to throw the ball in the right direction, with the right trajectory and with the right effort to hit a moving intended target while avoiding interception by the defensive player.  I find this amazing.  Does anyone know of a biological or neurological study discussing this?  Is it genetic, the survival skills of a good hunter or Warrior?       

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 3 Comments