Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Estaban Weaver: Ohio high school basketball legend

Gobucks2204's picture
August 9, 2014 at 12:48pm
10 Comments

Came across this interesting article about the Ohio basketball legend of Estaban Weaver. At one time he was the best 9th grader in the nation for basketball ahead of McGrady and Lamar Odom and Ron Artest.  I remember watching him play at the Worthington Summer league. He never really reached the stardom or lived up to the greatness that was projected. I was interested to see if anyone on here knows his story. If not this excellent article will fill you in.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-best-that-never-was-the-legend-that-...

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

I've taught several young men who were, at one time or another, nationally ranked as basketball players prior to entering high school. The brief glow of the spotlight seemed to always give way to ego and intense pressure within themselves and jealousy and petty backlash from the community around them. Good kids all, but I wonder if they had the chance to do it all over again, if they would have passed on the acknowledgement.

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I always wondered how his career would have panned out if he didn't have all the issues. Ohio State assigned a coach specifically to watch all his games for recruiting. Would have been great to see him at OSU, and what could have been.

The Rill Dill's picture

He was the most 'pure talented' player I've seen.  Just didn't have it between the ears.  One HELL of a basketball player.

+1 HS
ShoeHolder's picture

Estaban Weaver was easily the best high school basketball player I've ever seen in person. I remember watching him practice at Hartley. He threw an alley oop off of the side wall of the gym (the top part of the wall above the bleachers) to himself and slammed the ball home. It was absolutely amazing. 

"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the Earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

+2 HS
dmurder's picture

He was a legend. We always were talking about him and it is ashame the way his career never materialized 

"We have always had the best damn band in the land, now we have the best damn team in the land"- Jim Tressel 1-03-03

+2 HS
dmurder's picture

He was a legend. We always were talking about him and it is ashame the way his career never materialized 

"We have always had the best damn band in the land, now we have the best damn team in the land"- Jim Tressel 1-03-03

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

He was so good you said it twice :)

+1 HS
1stYrBuckIClub's picture

Talk about a blast from the past... My high school was the one that dethroned Bishop Hartley in the OHSAA tournament his freshman year (I believe that was '94) only to be beaten by eventual champion Youngstown Ursuline. The reputation was legendary (it was rumored he had to be 17 to play that well as a freshman, but perhaps his academic issues contributed to the rumors), but for his skill and for his attitude. 

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

This brings back so many memories, what a phenomenal ball player. Thanks for sharing the link. 

+2 HS
BuckeyeChief's picture

Phenomenal player, couldn't stay out of trouble...he could never put it all together.

"Damn I miss El Guapo"

+3 HS