Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Durant quits USA Team

Silver Bullet 10's picture
August 7, 2014 at 9:26pm
21 Comments

Refuses to tough it out to represent our country. Cited physical and mental fatigue as his reason for leaving. If this was LeBron, the media would blast him. 

Texasbucksfan's picture

The Paul George injury scared him.  

+4 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Possibly. I could see it.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

The media should blast him. If you don't intend to finish, don't start. 

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

The media should blast him

I really hope this is sarcasm.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

WhySoSerious's picture

so what are you really trying to say? What do you have to say about Kevin Love? 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
leezy531's picture

I don't think any of us have the right to judge a professional athletes decision.  Yea, they're getting paid millions of dollars to play a sport, but honestly, the amount of training and preparation they do, i highly doubt most of us could withstand doing that day in and day out. especially after the paul george injury, that has to be on the mind of every single player currently in the usa program. 

+6 HS
My2Sons's picture

And your point is what?

-6 HS
Eph97's picture

Oh boo hoo. Let me give you my perspective. I'm a third year medical student. I get yelled at by pompous pricks in the hospital all day. Have a tough subject exam after every clinical rotation. Have three tough board exams before I graduate, which incidentally will be with $250k in debt. Obamacare f'd up my future; I'll probably make around 150-200k a year after 4 years of pre-med hell in college, 4 years of med school, 3 years of residency and 4 years of fellowship where I'll work 80-100 hours a week for $50k a year. Oh yeah, if I F up once with a patient I'll get my ass sued and possibly my license revoked. Lives are going to be on the line.

So boo hoo that Kevin Durant feels tired playing a game earning $20 million a year or whatever he earns and can't tough it out for his country's olympic team. Yeah, Yeah I know market forces and all that but what a F'd up world we live in when entertainers (and I include actors here too), whose "work" is not essential to society at all, live like kings.

-10 HS
ShirtPants's picture

Amen my dude I'm right there with you

Byaaaahhh's picture

Oh yes, clearly your life as a medical student compares nicely with Kevin Durant. We should set up a phone call between you two so you can straighten that guy out.

+7 HS
Rob Reese's picture

My fiancée is just starting her second year at NEOMED.  I'm grateful she doesn't have your bitter disposition or dreary outlook.  Then again, she studied her options and knew what she was getting into.

Good luck; sounds like you're going to need it.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+11 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Amen to this!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+4 HS
OnlyOne's picture

We all make choices in life.  If you want to make lots of money go work for some hedge fund firm.  If you want to cure someone's illness or lessen someone's pain/suffering stay in medicine.  Either is OK, but please understand there are many folk who have worked just as hard who would welcome making $50k/yr.

+3 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Some of us would welcome $30k/yr...

Then again, my career goals are to help people, not get rich.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+3 HS
gumtape's picture

Durant does not have a history of being a knucklehead/douchebag/liar. I would take him at his word. He says he doesn't want to play, give the younger guys a chance. I won't be watching anyway.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+7 HS
osu_chris's picture

Kevin Durant has played US summer basketball for the past 4 or 5 years, including being the best player on the 2010 FIBA world champion team and the second best player on the 2012 Olympic gold medal team (you could argue he was the best player on that team after all the records he broke). If he never wants to play internationally for the US again, there is nothing wrong with that. He put in his time and was a major part of the team's success. He doesn't owe anything to anyone.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Oh no, USA basketball is only going to win all of their games by 20 now instead of by 25.

Man, I like basketball, but international basketball is the most pointless thing ever.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Since 1990 the US has only won two gold medals in the World Cup. Over that same period they've had three bronze medals & one sixth place finish.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Honestly, if it were the Olympics, I'd care. But isn't this only the World Championships? They'll still probably win, and it's not like he hasn't played for Team USA and given his all before.

Let the man live. It's his choice. By all accounts, he's a pretty high character guy, so i believe him when he says he's just worn out. I do not blame him for not playing. It was, after all, the ridiculous requirements of his national team commitments that really wore down Yao Ming and derailed a promising NBA career. I do not want to see that happen to Durant, and I am not even a Durant fan.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

Well, they don't get paid for starters. It is asking a lot of these guys to represent their country and risk being injured for free. And they are in a tough spot - refuse to take on that burden and everyone thinks you're an asshole. Remember that playing basketball is these guys' livelihood. Most don't even have a college education to fall back on. And, yes, they make a ton of money but that is no different than anyone else who is the best in the world at what they do. To me, if you want to play for Team USA then great. If not, I completely understand not wanting to and I won't hold it against you.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Can't we all just get along?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes