Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Furious George 27's picture

As a Reds fan, no.... The writer made a good point in who do you think of when you think of the Indians in the 90s and he wasn't at the top of my list.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

Fatpants's picture

No title, no statue.

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Progressive field, no. The Jake, maybe. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Put the Thome statue right next to the Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, Omar Vizquel, Kenny Lofton, and Sandy Alomar Jr. statues.

+4 HS
GoBucks713's picture

I'd rather have an Kenny Lofton statue than a Jim Thome statue.

-The Aristocrats!

+8 HS
Wilkins78's picture

Maybe if he's giving a high five to Kenny Lofton and Omar Vizquel.  I can see this outside the stadium:

+4 HS
tussey's picture

Those were the days

+3 HS
Earle's picture

This is the iconic image of the 90's Indians:

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

When I think 90s Indians I think Lofton.

What about a statue of Jason Grimsley hanging from the ceiling to retrieve Albert Belle's corked bat?

+2 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Disagree, I think it was this...

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

-2 HS
Earle's picture

I remember it more like this:

Italics are for emphasis.

MAVBuck's picture

I remember it more like this...

Hovenaut's picture

Speaking of iconic images...

MAVBuck's picture

Put him in the Indians HOF and give him a plaque if you want to but I dont know that you can give him a statue. He hit homers and was great guy but what did the team actually accomplish...

To me thats just searching for a reason to build a statue

Bucki78's picture

I think Charles Nagy deserves a statue before Jim Thome does.

"But I don't have to rely on a lot of people to tell me about the traditions of Ohio State. I lived it, I breathed it, I know it and I love it." - Urban Meyer

Rob Reese's picture

Loved the guy growing up in the 90's.  Thome said all the right things as free agency was closing in, but in the end he jumped for the last peso. And I'll never begrudge a player for that.

That said, statues should be for more, in my opinion, than just late inning home-runs and signing autographs for kids at the ballpark.  It should be for character, loyalty, service and yes, even sacrifice. Thome had the God-given talent of hitting the long ball down pat.  I'm just not so sure about the rest of those rare, special traits (see Bob Feller for an example of all of those).

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS