Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Future of US Soccer

jeremytwoface's picture
July 1, 2014 at 7:56pm
71 Comments

I know most of you don't care anymore.. Right now, you're saying "this soccer thing was fun while it lasted, but how many days until the real football starts again?"

Honestly, I'm almost right there with you. I'm so disappointed that I just want to move on. It's kind of like when the Buckeye's lost the Orange Bowl last year.... "Alright.... Let's start talking about next year"....

Going along with that idea, what do you guys think about the future of this US soccer team. For you 11w's who just started watching soccer.. Will you continue? Will you "kind of" follow it? Will you forget that you ever watched the sport?

For me, my first thought after the loss is... "Damn, these young players are really good." Green, Yedlin, Mix, Brooks.... They are all very good talents and they will play pivotal roles in 4 years. It will be sad to lose Dempsey, Bradley, Howard... they might be impossible to replace. But I think that Jurgen is doing it the right way. Almost like the "Ohio State" way.... Find young talent; Recruit young talent; Win.

Here's to the United States Men's National Team and here's to 2018.....

#IBelieveThatWeWillWin 

Buck Commander's picture

Terrible I'm shocked and confused....... Sure hope to be pepped back up after a HUGE Recruiting spree starting tomorrow........BOOM.......BOON

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

Not a US fan, but Green was extremely impressive.

+1 HS
clogan1032's picture

I do like Green but Jermaine Jones impressed me the most. I love Bradley and I know he was asked to do a lot by playing a non traditional position but he was a huge let down on the biggest stage. 

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Loved Jermaine Jones this tournament.... sad thing is he will be 36 in the next Cup so he won't be playing.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
Urbanabuck's picture

Jones was a beast during the Cup, actually controlled his temper/destructive tendencies and at times was the best offensive player we had. Not sure there is a replacement coming up that will be able to take over his role.

+1 HS
clogan1032's picture

Very true, should have kept to the youth and who will be the up and comers.

Bolt's picture

Jones played his ass off and played with so much heart. He's a beast, but there are also things that he hurts us with, such as being reckless with the ball and being out of position and undisciplined. Most games this tourney it paid off for us. Some instances it led to quick turnovers and difficulty possessing the ball. We've got a few guys like that. What will be exciting is when we have more technically sound and disciplined center midfielders that will be able to distribute the ball and dictate the game more effectively. 

Groveport Heisman's picture

I feel after watching today we gave a warriors effort. I feared us being embarrassed and that wasnt the case. I think the 18' squad is going to be the best yet. I'm also not ready to give up on Howard not returning.Without him today it could have been really embarrassing. US soccer is going to keep improving every year and we are close to competing with the best in the World. Even if we would have pulled this match out of our ass today you have to be honest with yourself and realize we were not going to win it all this time around. I'm excited and I expect next time around it is going to be a HUGE deal like it is in other Countries. Its growing fast and starting to suck in some of our top athletes. I honestly think we will win a cup in my lifetime and by that I mean before 2027. I felt proud today.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

The memories of this US team won't go away quickly for me...Howard was a rock today.

I'll quickly turn back to OSU football, but soccer in America has a good future ahead.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+2 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

American soccer will just get better and better until, like US hockey, there is too much talent to ignore and the competition creates better and better players. The enthusiasm was amazing today, perhaps as good as any country. That, in itself, is crazy.

I live for the day until I no longer have to read the "I don't get soccer" article. I believe it is near.

+3 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

In Russia 2018 the US will be the predator, not the prey.

Be prepared, rest of the world.

+4 HS
Danify's picture

Yedlin and Green are going to be special in four years, plus I'm positive the USA will have a few up and coming players in their teens we've never heard of. 

+1 HS
OSUEXT's picture

It will be interesting to see Green and Yedlin mature...I wouldn't mind the US moving Yedlin to a midfield position, Gareth Bale started out as a speedy outside back. In two months, the US has a friendly against the Czech Republic, and I would be shocked if a 17 year old Gedion Zelalem of Arsenal doesn't get called into that match for the US. Arsenal's coach apparently said on French TV, that Zelalem was part of the reason Arsenal didn't try to sign Cesc Fabregas. 

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedion_Zelalem

This 17 year old we should hear more about sooner or later. Can't imagine why he'd withdraw from Germany's national team system and his father would be scrambling to get US citizenship unless...

Seen several comparisons to Cesc Fabregas (naturally, being he's a teenager making appearance at CM for Arsenal's senior squad)...but if his father is able to get citizenship before he turns 18 he becomes automatically naturalized and eligible for USMNT, for whom he would be a most welcome addition. Let's cross our fingers for Gedion Zelalem!

Deadly Nuts's picture
2014 2018 2022 2026 2030
GK Tim Howard (35) GK Brad Guzan (33) ?GK Brad Guzan (37)? DF DeAndre Yedlin (32)  
GK Brad Guzan (29) DF Matt Besler (31) DF John Brooks (29) MF Julian Green (31)  
GK Nick Rimando (35) DF John Brooks (25) DF Timmy Chandler (32)    
DF DaMarcus Beasley (32) DF Geoff Cameron (32) DF DeAndre Yedlin (28)    
DF Matt Besler (27) DF Timmy Chandler (28) MF Mix Diskerud (31)    
DF John Brooks (21) DF Omar Gonzales (29) MF Julian Green (27)    
DF Geoff Cameron (28) DF Fabian Johnson (30) FW Jozy Altidore (32)    
DF Timmy Chandler (24) DF DeAndre Yedlin (24) FW Aron Johannsson (31)    
DF Omar Gonzales (25) MF Alejandro Bedoya (31)      
DF Fabian Johnson (26) MF Michael Bradley (30)      
DF DeAndre Yedlin (20) MF Mix Diskerud (27)      
MF Kyle Beckerman (32) MF Julian Green (23)      
MF Alejandro Bedoya (27) MF Graham Zusi (31)      
MF Michael Bradley (26) FW Jozy Altidore (28)      
MF Brad Davis (32) FW Aron Johannsson (27)      
MF Mix Diskerud (23)        
MF Julian Green (19)        
MF Jermaine Jones (32)        
MF Graham Zusi (27)        
FW Jozy Altidore (24)        
FW Clint Dempsey (31)        
FW Aron Johannsson (23)        
FW Chris Wondolowski (31)        

Presumed cut off for keepers is 36 but I still threw Guzan in there for when he's 37.

Presumed cut off for field players is 32.

LEBRON

+4 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Guzan is pretty damn goo right now... I honestly thought he was older than what he is. He's still not young though....

Knarcisi's picture

How did Pirlo from Italy play?  He's 35. 

Deadly Nuts's picture

I think I sense sarcasm in your post but i'm not sure... 

LEBRON

Knarcisi's picture

Actually no. I just missed "presumed". Didn't think there was an age limit, but thought there was yet another thing I didn't know about soccer. 

Deadly Nuts's picture

I just added presumed following your first comment. My bad, I should have made that clear.

LEBRON

Bolt's picture

Pirlo had some nice moments and matches in the group stage, but there were matcheswhere the old ass Italians looked like they were just plain running out of gas late into the match.

rosycheeks's picture

You have WAY too many guys from this year's team making the '18 roster.

Deadly Nuts's picture

This is just going purely on age. These are the guys that will probably be in good enough shape if they don't get overrun by some youngsters.  

LEBRON

rosycheeks's picture

Gotcha. And I should have added, thanks for putting that together. It was cool nonetheless. If Cameron is on the team, God help us.

Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed he did not play his "A" game 

TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

See also, Gedion Zelalem and Juan Agudelo. 

Also, Luis Gil is a promising young striker on Real Salt Lake

jamesrbrown322's picture

Bradley will be back for another run, maybe two. He's only 26. Dempsey might be back in a reserve role.

You have ti figure that Altidore, Yedlin, Green, Johnson, Mix, Zusi, Gonzalez, Brooks, Bedoya and Besler make the team. I think they'll be okay, and round into shape in time to win CONCACAF again. Then, everything will depend on the draw.

The biggest question mark is Keeper honestly. Where do they go from here? The US has had one helluva run in Keepers with Keller, Freidel, and Howard, all of whom enjoyed great success in the EPL. Who will step in now?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Deadly Nuts's picture

Guzan. Guzan is badass.

Heck, maybe Howard comes back when he's 39 if he can keep himself in good enough shape.

LEBRON

+1 HS

Guzan. He is a premier league stalwart and is actually one of the best players on the US team. Just has been stuck behind Howard for a while

+1 HS
OSUEXT's picture

Guzan is the clear successor to Tim Howard. He and Benteke kept Aston Villa in the Premier League the season before last. Cody Cropper at Southhampton has shown promise, will probably be #3 in Russia. My guess is Johnson (Chicago) or Hamid (DC) will be #2, I give the edge to Johnson as he's taller and more athletic. 

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Cropper might be the future, given his age. 

I forgot about Brek Shea in the earlier post too. I keep waiting for him to break out, along with Terence Boyd and Eric Lichaj. 

Honestly, what will improve the US going forward is either more support from fans for the MLS, which will help improve play by fueling revenue, more having more players play in the elite leagues of Europe.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Bolt's picture

Brad Guzan is probably one of the best overall keepers in the EPL right now himself...he's just not quite on Timmy's level right now.

jeremytwoface's picture

A player to watch is Will Trapp.... He's been playing great for the Columbus Crew. I think he will start playing an important role in US soccer.

+2 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I was talking with a friend yesterday, and I actually want to check out a Columbus Crew game. After all tickets are cheap, what could it hurt?

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

Do it and try to get down into Nordecke, the supporters section in the NE corner. Do some tailgating before hand and have a good time singing and watching soccer.

brandonbauer87's picture

My main concerns with the future of US soccer is the lack of homegrown talent. We seem to rely on a lot of players with dual citizenship or players who've become US citizens. That's not a long-term recipe for success. 

Another thing I noticed today was the lack of individual skill on the US side. I thought Landon Donovan summed it up very well post game. The effort and teamwork for the US is unlike any other. The fundamentals and precision aren't  anywhere near where they need to be. Right now, we're doing more with less. We may surprise some people that way, but I doubt we ever win the cup that way. 

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I've said this in another thread but I'll say it here too.....

I think homegrown, US talent is severely hurt by the USA's amateurism practices. In other countries, there's not really any college athletics. If you are skilled enough at a young age, you get signed to a club's youth academy (Messi was signed to Barcelona's youth academy at age 11).

If you don't pan out with the youth team, you go to college, get a degree and live a normal life. If you DO pan out, you sign a contract and keep playing. You play against the best of the best in your age group.... and that makes you better player. Julian Green, Aron Johanson, John Brooks... They all have been brought up through these youth leagues. Maybe the US can develop a system like this. Most MLS clubs have youth academys now a days but they aren't nearly as developed as the ones in European countries.

I think the recruitment of players from different countries if vital to the future of US soccer.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

There is IMG, which is associated with the USSF, and has produced Altidore, Donovan, Beasley, Beckerman, Bradley, Onyewu, Johannson, and Spector.

Other soccer, or football if you prefer, federations sink a lot more resources into the sport that the US does. And you are spot on, much like in golf or tennis, in countries like Portugal, Brazil, Italy, Germany, and the like, if you have abilities at a young age, you basically leave your life and begin preparing to be a professional soccer player, or footballer. A lot of Americans are very uncomfortable about that.

Although, similar things happened with Freddy Adu, and it never really worked out. The again, he's 25, so you never know...

bucksk1n's picture

I think the bigger issue is most of the kids that could be great soccer players are shooting guards or wide receivers/defensive backs.  While many kids play soccer, most of the best athletes end up in the sports with the bigger fanbase.  It will take a long time for this to change if it ever does.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah that's an obvious issue.... And it's another reason that Jurgen has gone overseas to find talent. 

Bolt's picture

I wouldn't say it's the bigger issue. It's an issue I suppose but even the Joe Hadens and Desean Jacksons of the world would be ho-hum soccer players without the proper development. There's plenty of athletes to go around in the states, IMO. The bigger issues revolve around development. We have a larger population, however we're a much much more spread out country than, say, Germany. In Germany (which is over 80 million people in a country about the size of one large US state) they can more easily identify and pull out elite young talent and have them pooled together, playing with each other or against each other, getting the highest level of competition their whole lives and getting coached by the highest quality coaches. In the US, because we're so spread out, it makes it more difficult to locate the talent and even more difficult than that is getting that talent together to play with or against each other since they may be stretched across the country. They keep playing in their crappy local leagues or whatever growing up. In order to play the best regional talent they have to join the best traveling team, which has ridiculously high costs on both people's time and their wallets. Athletes that don't come from well off families can't afford to get the better coaching and competition and they don't go anywhere with it. When it comes to basketball, you've got all these sponsors and the likes of Nike, Adidas, etc etc putting on national camps, tournaments, AAU teams that allow less wealthy players to come play for their teams. 

Other countries will pay for the best young athletes to come train with their own professional youth developmental leagues while the US you have to pay your own way to play in a crappy regional travel league. The coaching at the youth level is pretty much crap compared to the Germanys of the world as well.

+2 HS

Definitely the development.  There are plenty of great athletes playing soccer, just not ones being molded correctly at an early enough age. 

TheBadOwl's picture

I've been playing FIFA 13 a lot lately, and Josh Gatt is a beast on career mode in that game. I've never actually watched him play a real game, but for FIFA reasons alone, I hope he makes the squad.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

jeremytwoface's picture

I've seen some highlights of him... He seems like a good young talent. Hopefully we see him play with the US team at some point.

OSUEXT's picture

Gatt's had two severe knee injuries in two years. Sadly, He's like Stuart Holden, I'm not sure his knees can support high level football anymore. 

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Just need to develop more skill and talent to go with all the heart and effort. We're still a good bit behind the best. 

Read my entire screen name....

bleedscarlet's picture

Bleak.... watched a 2 1/2 hour soccer game and yelled "ohhhh" twice. Five seconds worth of excitement in a 2 1/2 hour game of keep away.... keep it

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

-5 HS
Jack Fu's picture

I need oven mitts to handle this hot sprots take.

+2 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

Yes, there are some boring soccer games. I've seen boring football games, too. If you're talking about a specific game, ok. If you're talking about soccer in general, go away.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Year round Soccer fan here - looking forward to the development of the young guns 

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I've never been a soccer fan...and I admittedly don't know the rules....but to criticize soccer for being boring between goals is to admit that you were so intoxicated during the Florida Nobodies nonconference game at the Shoe last year that it has been literally erased from memory. I actually fell asleep on the couch watching that game ...sober ...never happened before. I was intrigued by the US team and was audibly excited at the end of the game today...that penalty kick was set up beautifully - just didn't quite happen. I think soccer will only grow in popularity as the world keeps getting smaller. However, I don't know how we compete on the global scale until the elite athletes start playing soccer. Perhaps the rise of concussion awareness in football will cause cautious parents to push kids to soccer for fall sports instead of football? It won't happen overnight of course.....but the trend seems plausible. Also, from an economic perspective, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to field a youth soccer team than youth football team.

+1 HS
Groveport_Buckeye's picture

Is it poor coaching or lack of talent? 

Groveport Heisman's picture

Not lack of coaching or lack of heart or effort. Just lack of expertise of skills. Although I told everyone when Belgium subbed the big dark dude in extra time he was going to win it for them if we didnt counter sub fresh legs.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

hit_the_couch's picture

Honestly, I'm almost right there with you. I'm so disappointed that I just want to move on. 

Why would anyone be disappointed? They weren't supposed to make it out of the group stage. I was shocked that they did. I knew damn well that the team from the land of chocolate, waffles, and Dutch/ French/ German/ who knows how many languages they speak would throw them an ass whooping.

The U.S. team will likely never be anything special because soccer just isn't really part of our culture here (or at least the males, females are killin' it on the field) like it is in most of the world. There's hope, but I don't see it happening unless football gets outlawed. I believe they have a top 15 FIFA ranking right now and that's great for them. 

I don't think the talent is there, and it kind of shows since most of these guys don't make great money (by soccer standards) in their clubs whether here or abroad. There are less than 10 guys making more than a million a year in MLS and most are basically almost washed up international players that don't even play on the USMNT. Only about 8 guys on the USMNT are under 25 too. They definitely need to get younger talent to fill the ranks, and somehow get them playing in clubs overseas where there is a lot better talent to play against and maybe they can develop better. I don't think they'll get much better playing in MLS, that's for sure.

I can't really say anything though. I follow the Czech NT, and they haven't qualified for a WC since '06. The USMNT would blow them out of the water.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

jeremytwoface's picture

Being disappointed is a good thing. It means your expectations are high. We SHOULD expect get out of the group.... even if it is the 'group of death'. 

We've gotten out of the group before... We've even gotten to the last 8 before. We should expect to progress. 

Getting to two straight knockout rounds for the first time ever is some progress. But we should start expecting more. We should expect to get to the final 8 each year.

Just because our talent isn't quite there yet, doesn't mean we shouldn't have higher expectations.

Groveport_Buckeye's picture

Belgium has 11,000,000 people compared to 300,000,000 + in the states. It's gotta be one of the two, probably both.

bucksk1n's picture

I got into soccer after the 1994 World Cup and I've watched most of the National Team games when they are on TV.  I also have seen two of their games in Crew Stadium.  My other soccer addiction is the EPL on Saturday morning's.

I doubt this World Cup has changed much.  I really have no interest in MLS as it feels like I'm watching AA baseball in comparison to the EPL.  Anyone that has enjoyed the World Cup should check out a Premier League match on ESPN.  The talent is amazing and as an added benefit of soccer is the time investment is minimal compared to football or baseball.  With 45 minute halves, it's two hours and done.

hit_the_couch's picture

There was a free channel on time warner, not sure if they still have it though, but it was Fox Sports plus (or something like that) they would show a ton of EPL matches on there, but most of them were replays from the previous week. I think a couple times a week they would show a live game. I would catch Spurs games on there when they still had a decent team with Gareth Bale, Emmanuel Adebeyor  Rafael Van der Vaart and Cleveland's own Brad Friedel. 

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Kurt's picture

With 45 minute halves, it's two hours and done.

Thank you!  I also love this and honestly support every measure taken in college football to shorten the games.  Before anyone gets bent what I mean is that more measures should be taken to eliminate the dead time in college football.  The true beauty of soccer is that the close never stops.  Our beloved sports here have been built too much around commercial breaks.

elitesmithie's picture

Losing Altidore killed us. We had a very limited attack. We are like a mid major team in the fact that we have some good pieces but a lack of high end depth. I think if we are at full strength we win. Dempsey also played with a broken nose most of the tourney and Jones was injured some as well.

2018 looks bright. Plus Yadlin(spelling?) went to Akron I believe. Good for him.

Jack Fu's picture

Yep. Jozy's absence was one of the keys in the US repeatedly failing to maintain possession when they won the ball back from Belgium. Jozy's a reliable back-to-goal hold-up player who can collect the ball, fight off a challenge, and lay the ball off to midfielder. Dempsey just isn't that player, which raises another issue: Jozy's injury moved several of the US's best players out of their ideal positions. Clint had to try to replicate Jozy's role, and that moved Michael Bradley into having to be a makeshift Dempsey (at which he obviously struggled).

Overall, I think the future is bright. Klinsmann came in promising a (much-needed, IMO) total revamping of the US soccer culture, from youth development all the way up to in-game tactics. Three years in, and you can see the progress. They just need to keep it up and see it through. I believe.

+2 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

You're spot on, Jack Fu. Losing Altidore KILLED our plans. I'm glad we're not running around using it as an excuse, but it's the key. Losing Altidore forced Bradley out of his natural position, &  kept Dempsey from making the runs he ordinarily would.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

Buckabroad's picture

The US team, with its resiliance and toughness, showed that it can play with anyone in the world. Give Jürgen's system time to gel. More success is on the horizon.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

ponder10's picture

Jurgen is the man... I think soccer popularity is high right now but it will die down. Why? Because 1) Americans love sports we invented (Basketball, Baseball and Football) and don't love sports we didn't invent (soccer and hockey) and 2) because the next two World Cups will be played in Russia and Qatar in time zones that will mean the games will air around 2am here in the states.

That doesn't make for a successful 2018 and 2022 as it relates to American popularity.

I was one of those football players that though soccer players were pussies but I love the game now. Jurgen is working this team and pushing kids to play in Europe. The more players we have develop in the European leagues the better we will be in the long run. If the US gets the 2026 World Cup and continues to develop their young talent that would be an epic tournament.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

Kurt's picture

While invented in the US, basketball was invented by a Canadian.  

BucksfanXC's picture

Jeremy, can we get an update post on the ESPN fantasy group?

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

jeremytwoface's picture

Was actually going to do that earlier before the site went down... I'll post a separate thread about it.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

I was extremely impressed with Yedlin.  I hope he can continue to develop and sticks with Team USA.  If he does, watch out... because he looked VERY promising when he was on the field/pitch.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I love watching him here in Seattle - local product doing well. Played for the Zips in college