Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Straightening out this Soccer Stiff

toad1204's picture
June 26, 2014 at 9:37pm
37 Comments

As opposed to another thread...

Amazing that the USMNT has qualified for the knockout round for only the fifth ('30, '94, 02, '10) time in history after fielding teams since 1930.  Coincidentally '30 was their best finish ever (3rd)).  Also worth noting, this is the first EVER back to back appearance by the USMNT in the round of sixteen.  

I was surprised they slighted Donovan a spot.  He would have been useful given Altidores injury, hindsight is foresight.

They have a good shot at beating Belguim, even better if Jozy comes back.  

#IBELIEVE

That is all.

m5987usus's picture

They are going to beat Belgium. 

O-H!

+3 HS
JDunc686's picture

I believe that...

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

I believe that the American media was a bit sensationalist about Klinsman leaving Donovan off the roster. With that said, this squad has done well and I look forward to them playing in the more urgent single elimination tourney against a great team. #IBelieve

How Firm Thy Friendship

+3 HS
bedheadjc's picture

OT:

Best US Soccer scarf: "Home of the Brave" ?

I would love to see a "Shall Not Perish" scarf. Maybe "Damn the torpedos!". Or "Retreat, Hell!".

+3 HS
AndyVance's picture

All excellent choices!

+1 HS
sharks's picture

We have met the enemy and they are ours. Several midfielders, a goalie, and some strikers.

That would be a long scarf, but anyone within 100 miles of the lake would want one.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
bedheadjc's picture

I was going off of the "Gettysburg Address"; I had totally forgot about it being excerpted in Red Dawn. Excellent memory, sir!

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

For whatever reason I still have the entire ending monologue memorized.

I never saw the brothers again.

In time, this war, like every other war, ended.

But I never forgot. And I come to this place often, though no one else does...

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

This is one of the all-time great military addresses. It is Eisenhower's 11th hour letter given to the troops before they were deployed for D-Day. Here's a link at which you can read it better. http://www.archives.gov/global-pages/larger-image.html?i=/historical-docs/doc-content/images/ww2-eisenhower-d-day-order-l.jpg&c=/historical-docs/doc-content/images/ww2-eisenhower-d-day-order.caption.html

I thought of it immediately ahead of the Nazi Germany game. It is still motivational for me,  And I love the closing paragraph.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I only remember one portion from the speech our CO gave when we deployed to Saudi in the fall of '90.

"Look to the Marine on your right, now look to the Marine on your left. One of them will not be coming home with us."

That left an impression that still sticks with me. He wasn't candy coating things or offering false motivation. He was reminding us that we were going to war and of the costs involved.

Oldschoolbuck's picture

I hope Jurgen leaves Gonzalez in for Belgium - the defense was impressively stout against Deutschland, the score came on a set piece that was poorly defended after Howard made a great initial save. Also, Bradley has got to step up his game - he's been disappointing so far. If Altidore is back, that would be a huge lift, obviously, though some unlikely heroes have risen to the challenge (where is "Johnny Futbol" [Brooks] btw? I thought he might be used a lot more). Overall, I think our speed and athleticism will be the difference against Belgium, though they have some world-class players - Kompany, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Hazard and their keeper, Courtois. Keep an eye on Hazard - he's extremely talented (plays for Chelsea in the EPL). With all that being said:

I believe...!

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I think Fabian Johnson and Jermaine Jones have had a hell of a Cup so far. Probably earned themselves some $$$$$. 

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Bradley has got to step up his game - he's been disappointing so far. If Altidore is back, that would be a huge lift.

Not sure if you meant to imply a cause and effect with these two sentences, but if you did I'm in complete agreement. Putting Altidore back up top gives Bradley a comfortable target for long, pressure-relieving passes, and brings Dempsey back into the midfield for more options in possession and building attacks.  The three of them were really clicking in the last friendly against Nigeria, and Bradley has looked a bit lost without them.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

The question is how to utilize Altidore. Honestly, if his injury was bad enough that he cannot get to 100% by the round of 16, they should have called someone else up and replaced him on the roster. However, I am hopeful that he was ready to go for Germany, but knowing that they only needed a draw, they didn't want to risk aggravating the injury. Imagine if they pressed him and he wasn't ready to go, then he re-injured it more severely, and they had to use a sub to pull him. That could hurt everyone involved.

But I do agree that if he's 100% good to go, they need to utilize him in some fashion. Doing so, allows Dempsey to play for freely and creatively, Jones to continue to push and contribute to the attack, as well as contribute more defensively, while Bradley is free to do what he does best - chase down the ball, defend, and distribute.

OldColumbusTown's picture

Agree on the Altidore bit here.  He injured himself on 6/16.  It will be almost exactly two weeks of rehab time for him prior to the first knockout game.  Even if healthy, I doubt his stamina and form will be quite where it needs to be to go a full 90 minutes (if he can go at all).  His presence has surely been missed - Dempsey has done a good job up top, but it's easy to see he's not a natural target man, and we've not gotten a chance to see much of Clint with the ball, running at a defense.  Altidore against Belgium, even for 45 minutes, could be gigantic.

The question though becomes - who is taken off the field?  Does Jones move to a more wide position when he's been the best field player by far for the US in this Cup?  Do the US go back to the diamond midfield, with Jozy and Clint up top?  Interesting, interesting questions to be had and all depend on the health and availability of Jozy.

gumtape's picture

I am not a soccer fan and I don't know much about the sport. With that said, I am always going to hope for the good guys to win at anything, whether it is air guitar, beer pong, or soccer. This is also true regarding Ohio State and TTUN.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

I had Belgium pegged to the finals in the 11W bracket pool, but they may be the least impressive 3-0 team in recent memory. (Little surprise, since ASTON VILLA DYNAMO CHRISTIAN BENTEKE is out.)

Germany was the better team today, but we didn't get whooped. We won't be favored to win, but we can definitely beat Belgium. Messi would present his own challenges, but damn we could beat Argentina too.

I gotta give props to William. I said early on we were going to get rolled and he disagreed with me. I talked myself into the USMNT in the lead up, but he was a firm believer from the get-go. We'll need to go on a four-game blinder, but hell, anything is possible.

FIFA DONE GOOFED LETTING US DEFY DEATH.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

jeremytwoface's picture

Speaking of the bracket pool.....

Mine sucks.

I had Spain beating Croatia and England beating Ivory Coast in the first round of the last 16...... I had Spain beating Argentina in the semis and then getting beat by Germany.

I think I'm out of it.

Someone by the name of cOtter1994 actually picked Greece and Costa Rica correctly so I'm going to say that he cheated.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

To make it out of this group was a statement.  Two of the top 4 teams in world rankings and no Altidore.  I'd say we have a shot to make some noise.  Germany and Brazil are our worst matchups and the only way we would see them is in the final. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

I have said this before, but if any of you have not checked out Men in Blazers on ESPNFC, you should. They're very entertaining, and they really do love US Soccer, and are unabashedly rooting for them. If you don't care for them, that's fine, but I recommend that you at least give them a shot. Their Boot Room Extra clips are great!

http://www.espnfc.us/video/men-in-blazers/103/index

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I started watching their videos on Grandland's YouTube channel before the tournament started. They are hilarious.

Roger Bennett (the one with the glasses) is actually the producer of the Inside: U.S. Soccer's March to Brazil episodes that were on ESPN leading up to the tournament which I thought were very good.

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

We can stop talking about Donovan, Good Lord...

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Landon who?

I really think that LD not being on the team has helped Jermaine Jones blossom, and Dempsey feel more comfortable.

KB3RG's picture

I hate to say this but leaving Donovan off the USMNT was a good call. He was known for his speed and his speed is not world class anymore. Add on the fact that Donovan is 5'8 and a sopping wet 155. He would not have started on this team and could have played off the bench (even with Altidore out.)  Donovan has done a lot for the USMNT.  

06/24/2014 Landon was playing for the LA Galaxy against Carolina Railhawks and Galaxy lost 1-0. 

I think USA will beat Belgium. Just have to watch out as a few USA players have yellow cards already. Belgium ended up losing a back up midfielder with Steven Defour getting a red card this past game. Any little bit helps.

+1 HS
Wilkins78's picture

I was fine with Donovan being left off until I watched as Brad Davis did absolutely nothing for over 60 minutes yesterday.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I think the argument people have is that Klinsmann consider's Donovan a forward so it wouldn't be a fair to compare him to a midfielder... but I think Donovan would have been a much better option in the midfield than Davis. Davis is decent on set pieces, but when you don't have any of the ball, you aren't going to get many set pieces.

jeremytwoface's picture

I think the US has a chance against Belgium.

Belgium has some really good players. Hazard could cause big problems for the US and they have some quick forwards that could hurt the back line. They also have one of the best goalkeepers in the tournament.

All that being said, I think the US will be much more aggressive than they were with Germany and I can see them winning. 

If they do win, they will likely play Argentina and, if I'm trying to be honest with myself, I don't think they can win that game.

I'll say this - after watching much of yesterday's game against Korea, and having seen bits and pieces of their bout with Algeria, I'm not impressed at all with the current form of Belgium.  For having so many world class players, they really struggle to combine their pieces into anything of a cohesive unit.  I'm not "happy" to see the US paired with the Belgians, but I'm also not scared of the matchup like I, and so many others, were prior to the start of the Cup.  They've looked pedestrian for long stretches.

The US is keeping shape so well defensively, and they've had stretches of good possession the past two games.  It is now time to take it to the next level.  Can they do it?  I think so, but it will take a massive effort again from players who have worked their tails off so far for 270 minutes plus.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

The USA is 1-4-0 all-time vs. Belgium. They last played May 29, 2013, in Cleveland, Ohio where Belgium won 4-2. Belgium FIFA ranking is 11. USA is 13.

Do not base anything on Belgium's last game as they rested several key starters.

jeremytwoface's picture

I'm not sure it's just the last game that has left people feeling less worried....

They needed an 80th minute goal to beat Algeria and an 88th minute goal to beat Russia. Most people thought they would absolutely cruise through their group.

According to ESPN's Soccer Power Index (I trust this much more than FIFA's rankings), Belgium is 9th, Russia is 27th, Algeria is 30th and South Korea is 61st.

Yes they got 9 points from their group, but their performance was very underwhelming.

Jack Fu's picture

Really amazing we got out of the Group of Death considering we only had Jozy for about 20 minutes before he got injured, and we've gotten maybe 45 minutes - combined, through three games - of quality play out of our best player (Michael Bradley). Jermaine Jones and Fabian Johnson have really stepped up, and The Beaz has been better than expected at left back. Most of the predictor models have Belgium as 60/40 favorites, but 40% is a pretty good chance.

jeremytwoface's picture

That's about the same percentage of a chance we had to get out of our group...

#IStillBelieve

AND those percentages are predicated on what has happened in the past to put Belgium/United States at their power index rankings, not as much on their current form.  Belgium has looked as pedestrian as you possibly can while still going through with 3 victories.  Coming out of probably the easiest of groups, how battle tested will they be?

toad1204's picture

~~Forward Jozy Altidore's status for the knockout stage remains unclear, though he's making positive progress since straining his left hamstring in the first half of the Americans' opening win against Ghana on June 16. He ran at a good pace around the field at Sao Paulo Futebol Clube and did some stretching.

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2014/06/27/us-midfielder-jone...

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Seattle Linga's picture

Mark my words - we will not lose to these puffs

toad1204's picture

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS