Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Petition to make Thursday a national holiday

Dweinz's picture
June 23, 2014 at 10:27pm
14 Comments
Go1Bucks's picture
+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

I don't think it's going to make it...

Signatures needed by July 23, 2014 to reach goal of 100,000 --- 97,993

Total signatures on this petition --- 2,007

Football is complicated...

Dweinz's picture

hey, it's at 2,195 now! making progress...

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Everyone in my office will be watching it anyway.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

it's already a holiday in my world

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

BassDropper's picture

I'm all for it, but I have an exam that day and Im pretty sure my Commi teacher won't cancel the exam for a soccer game. 

Gonna be a struggle for me that day.

DIRECTIONER

Seattle Linga's picture

Another good gif - this was a skit on the return of SNL in the first episode after 911.  

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

My daughter played soccer in high school but after she graduated, my interest waned. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I watched the game vs. Portugal and wow that was a great game. Go 'Murica!

+1 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the petition, but rather the viewership and ratings the US games have been getting in this WC.  An estimated rating of over 24 (ESPN and Univision combined) million viewers in the States for the game Sunday is incredible.  I can't say I'm completely surprised since it feels like last WC in 2010 the interest began to rise, and the buildup to this year's cup has been immense.  Yet, the sheer number of people watching is gratifying to many "soccer" people in this country.

I cannot even imagine what the viewership ratings would be if the US can survive Germany, and win in the round of 16.  A lot of if's there, but obviously not an unthinkable scenario.  That puts the US in the quarterfinals either on July 4 or July 5, with the whole nation available for watching.

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

It wasn't that many years ago that soccer was considered unAmerican.  It is kind of ironic that this and similar threads are started, read, responded too, and respected on a site primarily dedicated to real football..the American kind. It will be interesting to see how American's sports interest change going forward as fewer kids play football because of concussions and other injuries and as college football continues to morph into a semi-pro minor league feeder for the NFL. I think soccer will be the big winner but lax might gain momentum too.

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

The win over Ghana kind of cemented a true sense of belief in USA Soccer in a lot of people's eyes. I wasn't able to see that game but was pretty shocked we won and I watched every one of the 5700 seconds of the match vs Portugal. I played soccer as a kid but never have been a follower of the sport but this World Cup has captivated my interest (and many others around the country apparently). I won't miss a second of the game vs Germany and if we win or tie them to make it to the Round of 16, we might see an NBA finals or World series-type viewership in this country for the first time ever.

Klinnsmann might be a genius or master motivator by claiming the U.S. had no chance of winning. Meanwhile, Spain is gone, Ghana's on the brink, Italy is finished, and there's not too many overly dominant teams out there.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

Tater_Schroeder's picture

I will definitely be taking a 2 hour lunch tomorrow. Frickers here I come!

How Firm Thy Friendship