Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Random draw by FIFA

Deadly Nuts's picture
June 20, 2014 at 6:06pm
8 Comments

Do you guys think there is a legit chance that the second place team in Group G could be chosen by a random draw by FIFA?

Current Table:

Team Diff. Goals For PTS
Germany +4 4 3
USA +1 2 3
Ghana -1 1 0
Portugal -4 0 0

FIFA Rulebook:

The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all the group matches;

b) goal difference in the group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in the group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their ranking will be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee. 

Things that would need to happen for the USA and Portugal to end up matching each other in points, goal differential and goals for:

• USA and Portugal draw their game (Any score, let's say 1-1)

How the table would look (just say that Germany beats Ghana 3-0):

Team Diff. Goals For PTS
Germany +7 7 6
USA +1 3 4
Portugal -4 1 1
Ghana -4 1 0
  • The USA loses to Germany 3-0 and Portugal beats Ghana 2-0.

How the final table would look:

Team Diff. Goals For PTS
Germany +10 10 9
Portugal (tie for 2nd) -2 3 4
USA (tie for 2nd) -2 3 4
Ghana -6 1 0

Would you like our chances in a "random" FIFA draw?

Seth4Bucks's picture

Simple, we just need to beat Portugal!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Ronaldo is still wearing the leg brace while their best defender will not play

BroJim's picture

I would like for them to be at their best. 

I season my simple food with hunger

Deadly Nuts's picture

We're not at our best right now. I don't care what happens as long as we don't injure one of their players on purpose,

LEBRON

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Cool.

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
Seth4Bucks's picture

They will be out two of their starting defenders as well as a forward. US will miss Altidore as US struggled to threaten once he went down and Dempsey got his nose broken. I'm feeling a lot more confident about this game than I did back in December when the groups were drawn. But that doesn't mean it's going to be a gimme.

I'm hoping Klinsman's comes out with the right tactics and lineup, that Bradley plays like his normal self, and the team plays with confidence. I could see a close low scoring game by both sides with US coming up with a 1-0 win. Hopefully Brooks has another dream about scoring!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I am really hoping that Wondo see a lot of the field.

MacG91's picture

We won't have altidore which is a huge loss, Clint will probably be moved to striker and run with 2 d mids, 2 wingers and 1 striker. They're are with out their 2 best backs and their striker. If we win or draw, we should be fine. I don't see Germany beating us 3-0 considering they'll most likely play reserves if we don't beat Portugal. Not saying we beat Germany but it won't be 3-0. But if the straight up draw does happen, FIFA better do a 50/50 flip in the open. 

Mac..yeah