Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Columbus Bucks?

BlockO's picture
May 16, 2014 at 10:35am
23 Comments
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I think the NBA would do well here, especially if we had a team capable of making the playoffs.

Imagine the potential rivalry games with the Cavs, Pistons, Pacers.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

Just imagine the confusion.  If we could get the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Pittsburgh Pirates (Bucs) to move to Columbus we would really have something going.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+7 HS
BlockO's picture

Mayer Coleman has already written a letter, 2 years ago, to the former NBA commishioner lobbying for a team.

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Would never happen for reasons stated in may others comments.  Small market, too many competing.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
BlockO's picture

Actually the Columbus market is bigger than Milwaukee's market. So I don't see why it couldn't work. People would pay to see nba basketball.

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Im not sure NBA theory wouldn't allow for a second small market team in Ohio.  The Cavs already have issues.  Now maybe we win a Championship, that might change.  

Go Bucks!

Knarcisi's picture

Have you seen the price of an NBA ticket lately?

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Not ideal in Columbus I wouldn't think - Indiana, Detroit, and the Cavs all within three hours.  But, the Arena is already set up if it were to happen - and paid for too!  They might need to add a separate basketball training facility like hockey has.  I think a lot of people would latch on and the team would get great support.  It might dilute fan attendance for the Blue Jackets and OSU hoops - I'm not sure it's realistic all three could get great support during the winter months.

But honestly, I think Seattle gets a team first out of anywhere else in the country.  I also think Vegas is on a short list if an NBA franchise were to move.  I have heard rumors about Virginia Beach being a destination for a franchise as well.

+1 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Regarding the Milwaukee Bucks, i recall hearing a few weeks ago that there was a provision in the sales contract that required the team to remain in Milwaukee. Not sure if anyone else can vouch for the accuracy of this. 

I live in Cleveland and i am actually surprised that the Cavs still attract a decent crowd despite the fact that they are so bad. I had always hoped for an NHL team in Cleveland, but as long as i have my Blue Jackets and yet another reason to come down to C-Bus i am quite content with that!

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Now that Mike Brown is gone, i'm sure the attendance will fall.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

d5k's picture

The key component in the sale will be the push to get a new arena built in Milwaukee in order to make it stick. The new owners will have until November of 2017 to have a deal in place, otherwise the NBA has the right to buy back the franchise — a strategic move made to ensure the Bucks stay in Milwaukee, which is commissioner Adam Silver’s preference.

From the link.  The NBA has a buyback option in the event there isn't a new arena deal.  In other words the NBA will have the leverage rather than the new owner if it comes to decisions to move or contract the franchise.  And until the Seattle domino falls, there is no way Columbus is next on the list. 

+1 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Thank you very much for that info!! Much appreciated!

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

#FireFickell

UFM_Renewal

-1 HS
elitesmithie's picture

As a Cleveland fan I never want to be behind taking a team from a city so I can't back this. With that said, Columbus deserves another pro team. 

+2 HS
sharks's picture

What if we gave them the Cavs?  Barely anyone goes to games anymore, that idiot who is good at basketball isn't coming back, and the team is a four alarm tire fire right now.  Columbus would be doing us a favor.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

-4 HS
703Buckeye's picture

17,000 fans a game is not "barely anyone." The Cavs are 16 out of 30 in attendance this season, beating out playoff teams like the Wizards, Nets, Hawks, and Grizzlies. The Pacers barely beat them, averaging only 172 fans more than the Cavs and they're going to the ECF.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

The Cavs average(d) more fans than the Indians lmao

703Buckeye's picture

It's pathetic. Years of listening to the Dolans, Shapiro, and Antonetti drone on and on with very little tangible results has demoralized the fanbase. One of two things will re-energize the Tribe fanbase... a deep playoff run or new owners. I don't think the Indians are talented enough to compete with teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Rangers, or Tigers and we all know the Dolans won't give up their cash cow team.

The Dolans said in the past they would spend when the team started to compete. The Indians made it to the Wild Card game last year and the Dolans did nothing to add to the team.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
elitesmithie's picture

Going by attendance Columbus would be doing us a favor to take the Indians so we don't have to hear the "A" word on Cleveland radio throughout the entire summer.

Groveport Heisman's picture

They say the word "ASSHOLE" on the radio in Cleveland too? Thought that was isolated to Cincinnati.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

There have been several nights the last few years when the Clippers in Huntington Park drew more fans than the Indians.  It also helps that HP is only 5 or 6 years old in a thriving entertainment district downtown.

Seattle Linga's picture

Smaller markets have a harder time b/c there is only so much money to be spent in sports tix. I do wish Columbus would get an NBA franchise.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

If Columbus gets an NBA team I will die in the city.

And to people saying it's "too small of a market" should probably do some research into the size of Columbus.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.