Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Football/Basketball Combo Top 16 - B1G Dominates

TMac's picture
March 19, 2014 at 12:37pm
24 Comments

Just Jeremy Fowler's opinion, I would switch the top two but I may be biased.  I also think it would be hard to argue that the B1G has the top two locked down, 

TMac's picture

Thank you for fixing my error!! I didn't test it out.

dc28's picture

I have said this for years that year in and year out the BIG 10 has the top ten combo programs in the country. I keep looking at Ohio State as the best in the past what, 15 years. Michigan State has us in basketball probably but in football I don't believe they have had the success that OSU has had in the last 15 years.

MacG91's picture

Yeah MSU isnt even close to having the same success in football in the past 15 years as OSU. MSU has only one BCS bowl win, and has only really been a B10 contender for the past 4 years. 

Mac..yeah

Unky Buck's picture

Everyone is big on the "what have you done for me lately" and I think being fresh off a conference tournament win along with the conference championship and Rose Bowl victory is too fresh in the mind of Fowler for him to look objectively at this. I think they make a great case for #2, over the last decade, there isn't really a team that I could think of that I would place ahead of OSU on the 2-sport combo ranking. He even states that he's doing it by dropping Florida for one pretty awful year, but I think it's safe to say that Florida over the same period would be a #2 or #3 overall as well, not #5.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Admittedly, sometimes reading is not my strong suit, but I read the thing a couple times and it felt like for some of them he was ranking programs and others he was ranking coaches, which aren't always one and the same. 

Regardless, lists like this don't carry much weight for me, they seem to be attempts at page-clicks and message board arguments.

Unky Buck's picture

I 100% agree. His arguments weren't the same across the board and some teams he penalized while there were others he didn't for the same problem. All in all, though, it is an interesting question to be asked. With proper data and what not, a list could be made that isn't so subjective. Of course I'm from Ohio and too lazy to care to do any of it...someone else can do it.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Oh yeah, I agree the concept is interesting and if properly researched, someone could come up with a definitive list. And they would have to clearly state what criteria they are and are not considering upfront and stick to it. 

But alas, I am too "busy" to attempt such a task...

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

As of right now Dantonio is a better coach than Urban and Izzo is better than Matta

DIRECTIONER

-5 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

If Dantonio were better than Urban he would most likely be the head coach at Ohio State right now. I do agree about Izzo.

LEBRON

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I won't argue with Izzo. The guy has a national title, 6 Final Fours, 7 B1G championships and 4 B1G tourney championships to Matta's 0 titles, 2 Final Fours, 5 B1G championships and 4 B1G tourney championships. But, Izzo's been at MSU for 19 years and Matta has only been at OSU for 10.

If you're saying Dantonio is better than Meyer right now because Dantonio has 1 B1G championship game win (2013) while tying for another league title back 2010 and a BCS bowl win while Meyer doesn't have a league title or a BCS win, okay. But they are 1-1 against each other and Meyer has only been at OSU 2 years while Dantonio has been at MSU 7 years. Dantonio has had 3 mediocre seasons (out of 7) already at MSU while Meyer is 24-2 thus far at OSU.

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Meyer was outcoached by Dabo, Hoke, Dantonio, Fitzgerald, Ferentz and probably a few others just last year. Sorry, but Urban was mediocre in 2013, and terrible when it counted most. Dantonio is the best coach in the conference right now. When you coach 3 stars to the best defense in the nation, and cruise by Meyer, and win the Rose Bowl, I Dantonio deserves the crown for at least a year. Just my opinion.

-2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

This comment has ignorance written all over it.... Mediocre coaches don't go 12-2 on a season.

LEBRON

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Well, to be fair, Hoke went 11-2 in 2011. Maybe it's just me, but Ohio State didn't seem very "Ohio State" last year. Tressel would have demolished that sorry Michigan team and beat Michigan State, Clemson too. Either Urban has lost his touch or he is just warming up as the Ohio State coach. 2013 Ohio State = play a ranked team and lose. Not entirely true, but it kind of feels that way in retrospect, and I hate it.

BassDropper's picture

I agree. I said "as of now" Dantonio is better than Urban. Urban seems to have lost his touch and no where near the coach he was at Florida, meanwhile Dantonio is taking these 2/3 star recruits and winning a B1G championship and a Rose Bowl.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

You realize that he has a bunch of 4* recruits too, its not just 2 and 3 *s

Mac..yeah

BassDropper's picture

Comparison of "stars" between OSU and MSU dating back to the 2010 class

Michigan State 0 five stars

Michigan State 16 four stars

Michigan State 51 three stars

Michigan State 9 two stars

Michigan State 3 Not ranked

Ohio State 12 five stars

Ohio State 48 four stars

Ohio State 29 three stars

Ohio State 1 two star (Bryce Haynes)

Ohio State 1 NR (Adam Griffen)

Ohio State has 3 times as many 4 stars than Michigan State.

Michigan State has almost double the 3 stars as Ohio State.

RIGHT NOW you can't make an argument that Urban is a better coach than Dantonio. Now that Michigan State is an elite team and has a lot of national buzz, top recruits are taking notice and seriously considering Michigan State. If Michigan State starts putting together top classes, Michigan State will have multiple national championships.

DIRECTIONER

sivaDavis's picture

Thad and Izzo are both very successful coaches, but add in Urban's success everywhere he has gone and the fact that Dantonio's success seems to be RECENT success (he went 6-7 and I'll never forget!!!) I think he is a tad overhyped as of right now. He is a great coach no doubt. IMO Urban's success gap over MD outweighs the success gap from Izzo to Thad. But maybe I'm biased.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Go1Bucks's picture

I just don't get the Matta disrespect here.  He has an incredible record and consistency, but has lost so many players that would have raised our finishes had they not left early. I guess he needs the title to earn respect. 

Urban's only 2 losses in the last 2 years, in the waning moments of each game, not including his Florida record, make him one of the most successful coaches in recent memory- short of 'Bamas titles.

OSU should be #1, but alas, we are OSU. lol.  The B1G has 4 of the top 10.  Good Call Fowler.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

BTN Live just tried to show their picks on this same subject having _yshitcan as 1, Wisky 2, OSU 3, and MSU 4.  They must be drunk today.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

ok, ok, everyday. lol  smartass.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Sometimes I think that's my middle name

+1 HS
headina's picture

Duke at 4? Lolz

GO BUCKS