Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Ohio High School State Hockey Final End in 1-1 tie after 7OT

Baroclinicity's picture
March 8, 2014 at 9:53pm
15 Comments
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Probably the best call...but I bet OHSAA adds a shootout after the 2nd OT.
Sylvania Nothview has been a hockey power the last few years...and if youre from Sylvania or Toledo its pretty amazing theyre beating the big boys (or tying them).

+1 HS
William's picture

There's a national rule that prevents shootouts from determining state championships. They'll most likely add in a rule where the game will be suspended and played the next day after X amount of periods, or they'll switch OT to 4-on-4 play. A shootout should never determine a championship.

InvertMyVeer's picture

Better a shootout than just not determining a winner if you ask me. Hats off to both teams though, they obviously played their asses off. 

Football is complicated...

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

A national rule that prevents shoot outs? I don't see a reason why a shootout is not a good solution. It would still be putting the outcome in the hands of the players, which is what sport is all about.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Going to 4 on 4 after 3 OTs, and then maybe 3 on 3 after 5 OTs would make the most sense.  Shootouts are not the answer.  It would be like having a free throw or 3point contest after a basketball game if it went to 7+ OTs.  Does not make sense.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

ESPN is giving this some pub, trying to create a story. This is a good decision. If a kid gets hurt in the 8th OT, they'd get crucified.

CC's picture

Just playing devil's advocate, but would it really be different than if he got hurt in the 7th?

Seattle Linga's picture

FOX SPORTS 1 as well covered this too

KBonay's picture

NBC talked about it as well during the (pathetic) Wings v Rangers game today.  Mike Milbury expressed his displeasure.

Seattle Linga's picture

One of the mothers for a player on the Northview team is a doctor and I believe she saw how dehydrated the kids were, wish they would have had a shootout

dc28's picture

It just goes back to how this country is today. Every child gets a trophy now. Kids get babied and told how great they are. The parents/adults are ruining this whole sports thing. Unreal, two state champions. Kids are more resilient than you think. I would have to think that these kids are upset. I am sure they are happy they got a state title but they will never know if they were truly the best.

-1 HS
William's picture

Has nothing to do with the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality, and more to do with the fact that the coaches had kids that couldn't even walk from constant cramping. Of course, it must be easy to critique this decision, sitting on your couch. I'm sure the players were upset that the game was brought to a close, but it was only a high school game, and it was not worth risking severe injury to several players. 

Seattle Linga's picture

If a player had gotten severely hurt or died - EVERYONE would be screaming "WHY DIDN'T THEY CALL THE GAME."

dc28's picture

William, I take it you were at the game then? You actually saw kids cramping up? Why not just call the game then and finish it up the next day? There has to be a better solution then just to declare both teams State Champions.

MordenoftheSith's picture

To everyone saying "go to a shoot-out":  Shoot-outs are a skills competition and shouldn't be in ANY level of hockey except the Skills Competition in the various All-Star games.  It doesn't matter how you want to crown a champion, whether it's 3 on 3 for 10 minutes after a 4 on 4 for 10 minutes, or postponing the game for a day (if feasible as this particular story is addressing HIGH SCHOOL KIDS); simply stating "go to a shoot-out" is extremely ignorant and is not a true form of team competition.

The next thing you folks will be stating is instead of going 9 extra-innings in baseball, go to a home run derby after 5... complete and utter non-sense.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.