Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Urban gets Braxton 2.0

0 HS
Becool12's picture
April 17, 2015 at 10:27am
31 Comments

So, the other day when Tristan Wallace and Jarrett Guarantano committed, I had a brief second to think about it. In 2011, Urban offered a quarterback out of Huber Heights, Ohio. The quarterback was very highly ranked but wasn't the top target on his board. Florida, instead, received a commitment from a 6'4, 220-lb mobile "pocket passer" who was consistently ranked higher by almost all recruiting services. Now, by the time Driskel committed Urban was no longer the coach in Gainesville, but he played a major role in developing the relationship. This quarterback, like Guarantano, was a very mobile passer with almost college-ready mechanics and well above average athleticism (he juked and burned Doran Grant in a high school all-star game). If you watch their highlight tapes, Guarantano reminds me a lot of Driskel, both in size and game. But, the quarterback who got away was Braxton Miller, a 6'2" very mobile passer who committed to Ohio State and Jim Tressel. Despite lacking proper fundamentals and mechanics, as well as being less college-ready, Braxton was able to use his athleticism to revive one of the best brands in college football. Driskel, committed to a Florida with a weak depth-chart and a coach who was said to be the next big one and was going to turn around the program... That never happened. With that said, I wish Guarantano the best in Knoxville, but I will be happy to take Braxton 2.0.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments