Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Spoke with Class of 2016 DE Rahshaun Smith-Update

Mike Rockstedt's picture
August 13, 2014 at 2:39pm
13 Comments

Rahshaun Smith, a class of 2016 DE from Maryland, spoke with Larry Johnson today and things are back in business for the Buckeyes and Smith. Smith is one of the top rated DE's in the country. He is a composite four-star, but rivals has him as a 5-star. Here are some of the things he talked about between him and Ohio State:

• He always loved Ohio State
  • Spoke with Larry Johnson today and he told Smith that he wants him to come to visit for a game.
  • Johnson also told him they are going to start talking more.
  • Communication was ended on both ends. When Johnson was hired, Smith said he did not show much interest.
  • "If a coach wants you, they will find a way to contact you, like they are now."
  • He is building relationships with the staff and is going to get back on campus soon.

Smith is one of the best DE's prospects in the nation for 2016.

osu07asu10's picture

Hahaha I have to get used to seeing the new staff members...I saw this title and I thought, "oh shit, members contacting recruits again..."

NIce work Mike, and nice work Coach Johnson! Love seeing that ridiculous depth on the DLine continue into recruiting efforts! Maybe not as lengthy as you may want a DE but plenty of time to grow. Plays with a motor, pursues plays, finishes them off. I like it!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
KBonay's picture
+2 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

hmmm... seems to start off a little rocky. Rock, in your honest opinion, (I know it is very early), how do you see this playing out? I know if anyone can mend a rocky relationship, it is Johnson Sr. and Meyer. But never good to start off on rough waters, you know?

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

Mike Rockstedt's picture

You are right, but I Smith has interest in Ohio State. I also spoke with him a couple of weeks ago and he wanted to hear from Ohio State but Coach Johnson was not showing much interest. It is going to be interesting to see how this one develops for sure. Coach Johnson has a bg impact on all of these recruits.

MN Buckeye's picture

2016 is looking to be an awesome recruiting class.

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Sometimes kids just don't know they have to be the one to initiate conversation..

PittBuckeye's picture

This is a really good point, nobody ever explained that to me till I was already in college. And I knew a bunch of guys who went a similar path to me as far as assuming the only places at all interested were the ones banging down your door. Soccer is quite a bit different recruiting wise than football, but I wish I would have been a little more proactive with some of the schools I was more interested in initially.

Grayskullsession's picture

Some of these recruits these days have quite an entitlement problem. Especially some of these Ohio kids I have seen lately that get all bent out of shape when tOSU offers an out of state recruit at their position before them.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

-3 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Larry Johnson is as advertised.  Arguably Urban's most important staff hire.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And the best is yet to come. I can't wait to see the line come together this season.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I can't wait to see the line come together this season.

No doubt.  Recall last season at this time, it was one of the biggest question marks heading into 2013.  I admit I'm biased (a lot), but I don't think it's a stretch to suggest it'll finish a top 5 line in the country.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

WOW.  Could we really be closing in on a ridiculous D-line haul?

+2 HS
bucknut8's picture

Yah I agree. This one came as a shock as I thought we were our of the race for awhile. 

#Buckeyes