Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson Update

305Buck's picture
August 9, 2014 at 4:01pm
64 Comments

Per Ryan Bartow, he just spoke with Gibson at Miami Dolphins media day, and Gibson still has Ohio State in the drivers seat. He will take a few official visits after his visit to Ohio State on Sept. 6th, before deciding on October 20th. Full story coming later tonight.

305Buck's picture

Teammate 5 star CB Tarvarus McFadden also looking to take an official visit to Ohio State. It will be hard to beat FSU for McFadden.

+9 HS
Habu71's picture

Thanks 305. 

I've read in several places that Arizona WR Kirk might favor certain quarterbacks and that this will be a huge factor in where he ends up. What players (in your opinion) would possibly be swayed to TOSU after a commitment from Gibson? 

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Not sure, at first I would have said Ridley, or any of the other top South Florida kids, but word is that Ridley loved catching passes from Barnett, and Barnett made him feel even more comfortable about selecting the Tide.

Gibson just waited to long to visit and commit. Had he visited and committed earlier, this could have been a class for the ages as many were predicting.

+2 HS
lljjgg's picture

Top247 WR Lawrence Cager and Torrance Gibson supposedly struck up a pretty close friendship at the Opening. Cager is also very high on OSU, so it certainly wouldn't hurt with the other to get either.

+3 HS
Habu71's picture

Thanks, LL. I appreciate the insight and hope things play out as you've stated.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed - TG is one dynamic player and we need him

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Thanks 305. You're all over this stuff. Much appreciated.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Not sure what this means:

@JWagnerOSU: Does this mean no more #TorranceTuesday for #VolNation? /sadface

+3 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Torrance didn't include the Vols in his recent top teams list.

allinosu's picture

Not saying we won't get him but he will probably change his mind a few more times before he commits.

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Nah. He's all in.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

If he was all in he would be committed and helping recruit other elite players like Kirk and Harris. Hilliard and Cornell are  all in.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS

Do I really have to explain the joke?-_-

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+9 HS
kmp10's picture

Negative!! You are not allowed to voice any "negativity" on this site. The negative police will DV you for any opinion they interpret as negative, anti Buckeye, anti ass kissing of recruits… anything that doesn't cast a rainbows, puppy dogs, sunshine and balloons light on Ohio State and their recruiting targets. Don't you know Gibson will read your comment and be offended to the point that he'll drop OSU in his top 5??? 

I like Spielman's recruiting pitch: 'You wanna come and be a part of something special at Ohio State? Great. If not then go to Nebraska (or wherever)… Ohio State is far bigger than any one player'. 

305Buck's picture

The Buckeyes remain in the driver’s seat.

“Just the academics. The business school is tremendous,” Gibson said. “Great program. Great tradition at Ohio State. Crazy fans. That’s the type of fan base I like. They’re on me right now.”

Bartow mentioned that TG would look to transfer from whichever school he commits to immediately if he were switch to WR. He said Gibson's heart is set on playing QB and that's why he's high on Auburn, Arizona, and Ohio State. You put TG in a spread up tempo offense where he gets to run 10-15+ times a game, and only passes 20 times, then the kid will be a beast and a nightmare for every defense in the B1G.

+10 HS
Dips's picture

Well, at least we'll get em for a year then.

+8 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture
Shouldn't have laughed, but I looked something like this.
+5 HS
Dips's picture

At least you laughed. :)

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

If OSU gets him and after working with him decides he's a better fit at WR, then Im more than okay with him transferring as I trust our coaching staffs assessment of players. IMO, Urban wants a pass-first mobile QB, and from what Ive seen via film and read about from reports, he has a long way to go with his passing game to be an effective pass-first QB. Not saying he wont become a great QB, but I feel like right now he is the type of player that you put at QB in NCAA Football and just go out of shotgun every play and take off because he is so much faster than the DL and LBs. If he puts in the work and develops, good for him, but if he doesn't develop and a staff feels he is better at WR, its a bit silly for him to have that automatic transfer consequence hanging over coaching staffs' heads, they are looking out for themselves (the team winning) and Gibson's future as a legit college football player. 

Katzfan's picture

Look how many games TP won at TOSU... i wouldnt classify him as a "prolific" passer. Just sayin...

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got nine guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time." -- Urban Frank Meyer  -- I LOVE THIS DUDE!! :)

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

He was more accurate then fans gave him credit for.  His issue was anticipation and not finding the open receiver.

+1 HS
apack614's picture

Regardless Danny Clark will be following him and will almost positively take his spot at QB especially with the bond he has with Meyer it is exactly like the bond we see this year with Raekwon and Samuels. He is a great player and a great kid but what they are here for is to play football how the coaches tell them and if that means playing WR because there is a better option that would more likely benefit the team's well-being then that is what needs to happen

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

I think you are assuming a lot if you are saying that a guy who hasn't even played his sophomore year in high school yet is going to pass a player up who is 2 years older than him and also very talented. 

+2 HS
apack614's picture

Yes, 2 years younger and hasn't played his sophomore year yet but still showed up to FNL and outplayed TG in everything that has to do with QB's except speed.

OSU069's picture

I mean, I think Clark has a great future but running is a major part of our offense. And a lot can change by then. Plus, I heard that TG was pretty good and they were both pretty even at FNL. TG will have 2 years on campus before Clark arrives so if he is a very good player by then Clark is not going to pass him up. 

+1 HS
apack614's picture

We will see, I believe TG is a great player and can do great things I assume I'm not as crazy about him because he hasn't committed yet. Let's get back to this conversation in 2017 when it really matters. Have a great day Go Bucks!

whiskeyjuice's picture

If OSU does get Gibson, I hope he isn't the starting QB unless he is really ready. I would hate to see a season of random interceptions and offensive learning. I would have to think one of our current QB's would to be the starter next year.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+4 HS
305Buck's picture

Imo Barrett starts the 2015 season, but Gibson is looking to early enroll so he will be in the thick of the competition as well. If he commits to Ohio State, I want to see how he progresses over the spring during spring practices and the spring game.

I still believe Barrett will win the starting job in 2015, giving Gibson at least 2 years to sit on the bench, learn and develop. He wont get thrown into the fire like Miller was.

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

He just might realize playing time now is at receiver which is ok also.

buckeyedexter's picture

I don't think he'll get the start unless he beats out all the other QBs.  He might get a couple plays here and there like Tebow got his freshman year, mostly running the ball.

osu407's picture

I believe that due to Meyer's skill as a recruiter, the days of transitioning a fullback to middle linebacker and starting a freshman quarterback who isn't ready are over. We have enough quality depth that who ever starts at any position should be put in a position to succeed. If Gibson becomes a starting quarterback for Ohio State, it will only be because he gives us a better chance of winning than the other very talented quarterbacks on the roster.  Based upon who we have, and who we are likely to sign, there should be no situation like Pryor and Miller walked into without other viable options forcing them to start before they are ready. 

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

We have some depth at QB. There is absolutely no reason he couldn't come and and learn the position and develop his skills. At Elite camp, the comment that was repeated over and over is how coachable he is. Listens to advice and adjusts. And his talent level is off the charts.  I'm fairly certain we have the staff to make him a star. 

+6 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

I'm hoping Urban does something like he did with Tebow. Tebow came in and was 2nd string behind Leake, but still got reps. Urban had some certain sets for him, so I think that would be great for Torrance. With Torrance's athleticism it would be even harder for the defense to cover, not to mention the priceless gift of experience.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Absolutely great athlete that can help your team, but if things play out how some expect they might, what happens? 

Do you start a qb like Barrett or Burrow later down the road if they can complete 60-70% but aren't as good running the ball or Gibson who may only be 50-60% but is Braxton-esque with his legs? 

Time will tell I suppose but it's probably a good problem to have. 

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

Yesterday I watch video of his down side which was focused whether or not his upside offsets that. The pick sixes were just plan awful. Bad decision making combined with poor mechanics which lead to poor throws. He has the ability to run out of just about any situation. They did go on to say the work ethic and desire was there for him to improve but as wide receiver he was right up there with sweat as a talent. His seven on seven team was much better when he was at wideout than QB. They felt he would have to be a package player a few years while he worked on mechanics before he would be ready.  

-1 HS

Link?

+4 HS
allinosu's picture

Behind the scenes: grading Torrence Gibson

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

For all the speculation about him being a "diva", this last stretch of his recruitment has been pretty straight-forward and an October 20 announcement date is downright humble compared to the kids who've gone beyond National Signing Day in the past, ostensibly to have all eyes on them.

I love our chances as his upcoming senior season will occupy more of his time and limit the silly season conjecture from him and everyone.

+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I agree with you. I will say, when it comes to the QB position, I like when a kid wants to build a class, so he decides to commit early. That said, October still gives you plenty of time to go out & help build the class up. And you're right, it's nothing compared to kids who commit after signing day...

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
Gray Box's picture

Gibson interviewing McFadden:

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Pretty funny. Gibson seems like a funny guy. 

Buckeye419er's picture

Glad he liked my edit. 

305Buck's picture

Philly Brown doing some crootin.

+7 HS
SilverState's picture

Nice find, 305. Did Torrance release another list recently? People saying he left off Tennessee. Just wondering who else is on his list.

KansasBuckeye's picture

Doesn't this corey brown character know you can't tweet at recruits??

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Nope, he's an @sshole!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

People saying that he is a diva or immature need to remember that he is still a kid. Everyone matures a different rate, he is just enjoying to process.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+3 HS
CC's picture

You're dead on.  I was pretty reckless around 18, I image many of the people here were too.

+1 HS
TCOB_6's picture

The ones that claim they weren't are usually the ones that were the worst.

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

Also I feel like if he was a diva he would not be making his decision in October. He would probably wait until at least NSD if not after. He also has a 9 out of 10 intangible rating on 247 sports. 

-1 HS
SilverState's picture

I think Gibson is enrolling early, so post-NSD isn't really an option.

TheBadOwl's picture

I've been saying this for months. The whole "Gibson is a diva and I don't want him here" circlejerk really died down after he said OSU was his leader.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+12 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Well of course it did, no fans ever sit around bad-mouthing a big name recruit who just announced their favorite school the leader. That's how it works with every single fan base with any recruit who handles his recruitment in a manner similar to Gibson.

Look at Alabama fans saying Vonn Bell wasn't fast enough or good enough to play for the Crimson Tide. One of a billion examples.

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

Don't know who this guy is, but has some interesting tweets:

+2 HS

Bosa is down to FSU and tOSU? God damn, how much I would love to beat out Florida State back to back on Sweat and then Bosa...

+2 HS
Woodshed's picture

Yeah, it is fairly well known that those 2 schools are the main threats for bosa. Bosa's parents have actually gone on the record that when Joey chose osu that it was really hard to tell "jimbo" that Joey wasnt going to fsu.

+2 HS

Didn't know that, I guess we would just be finishing the trilogy; Bosa, Sweat and Bosa II.

In this case, 2 out of 3 wouldn't be too bad

Woodshed's picture

Holmes was also rumored to be an fsu lean before committing to osu last year.

Osu has lost quite a few players to fsu as well though.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Lamarcus Joyner comes to mind. It would have been great to have him in our secondary last year.

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

We gotta lock down Nick. It just HAS to happen. Otherwise Gluefingers' Bosa stories are for naught and that is just unacceptable.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

jasmill31's picture

Gibson pushing back official visits to take SATs
09/05/2014 by Rivals.com
Length: 1:43 | Views: 822
OSU is leader

Jason Miller

OSU069's picture

So is he going to commit before he takes official visits?