Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

2016 5 Star QB Shea Patterson

305Buck's picture
August 5, 2014 at 1:22pm
22 Comments

Recently decommitted from Arizona and has been contacted by Meyer per a poster on Bucknuts close to his recruitment. Says he will visits for the Rutgers game and he grew up in Toledo as a Buckeye fan before moving to Louisiana, and he still has family in Toledo.

He's rated as the #3 Pro-Style QB and #2 player in Louisiana.

Early Season Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2109332/highlights/85017401

Second Half of the Season + Playoffs Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2109332/highlights/118520380

KansasBuckeye's picture

Thanks for the info, 305Buck. That would be an impressive get.  I've felt for a long time that Ohio State needs to put a top flight QB into the NFL to truly help our quarterback recruiting cause.  Obviously there's no telling how a 2016 recruit will do at the next level yet, but I'd love to see this type of quarterback in Scarlet & Grey.  And it would certainly boost our receiver recruiting as well (although I'm very excited about Johnnie Dixon)!

Then again, we did land Justin Zwick once upon a time..

+3 HS
tussey's picture

Cool cool. He looks good.  He was also pretty mobile for being a pocket-passer.  I liked that he had good movement in the pocket and that he can throw different types of balls, touch when he needs to and rockets into tight windows.  

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Between Shea Patterson, Dwayne Haskins, Jawon Pass, and Malik Henry, I expect Ohio State to get a big time top 40/5 star QB in the 2016 class. Once we get that QB, WR recruiting will take off. You will see players like Cam Chambers and Nate Craig taking a 2nd look at Ohio State.

+6 HS
KansasBuckeye's picture

My big hope is that one of these guys commit to the Buckeyes early to provide a clear class leader.  After watching the way these five star quarterbacks made an impact on other big time recruits at the Opening (see Christian Kirk), I would love for us to be in a similar situation next year during the camp circuit.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

Didn't even mention Jarrett Guarantano, Xavier Gaines and Brandon McIllwain. We're also in the top group for all three of them too.

I'd be surprised if Craig signs with Auburn on signing day. He may well sign with OSU.

305Buck's picture

The 4 that I mentioned imo are the top tier group. The 3 that you mentioned are good, but Patterson, Henry, Haskins and Pass are all on another level from those 3.

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

The #3 pro-style qb is still a 5 star? Am I the only one who was surprised by that?

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

247 composite has him as the #27 overall recruit and has 5*'s up to #29. The 2 guys in front of him in position rank are both rated in the top 10 overall.

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

His brother was hired by LSU as offensive quality control position 6 days before he de-committed from Arizona. 

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/news/105535/51157883/LSU-Hires-Sean-Patterson-The-Older-Brother-Of-2016-Five-Star-QB-Shea-Patterson

Patterson has stated he wants to go play where his brother is 

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football-recruiting/2014/05/35446/ohio-native-shea-patterson-wants-hear-buckeyes

Article was from 05/01/2014 when his brother was at Zona...

"I really want to play where my brother is on the staff, and right now he's a GA at Arizona. He taught me everything I know and he's my role model," Patterson said of his brother. "I like everything about Arizona, though. The weather, they have a great campus, and I love the coaching staff and the offense they run."

+1 HS
tussey's picture

Well after seeing this, my guess is that he is headed to LSU

305Buck's picture

LSU has a high ranked QB in their 2016 class already Felipe Franks (spellcheck).

305Buck's picture

Yup #1 dual threat QB in the 2016 class is already committed to LSU.

http://247sports.com/Player/Feleipe-Franks-26082

tussey's picture

Oh well then nvm?

willshire58's picture

LSU just hired his brother, Sean, as a GA or an offensive quality control guy.

Toilrt Paper's picture

What would Urban do with a Pro-style QB? Playing his HS ball in Louisiana and being the #1 Pro-style QB in Louisiana.  Arizona out recruited Les Miles and SEC/LSU? LSU had to resort to hiring his brother to get him interested?

KB3RG's picture

Danny Clark is a pro style QB

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

I'd rather we just bury the term "pro-style" qb along with the "Percy Position." With Kaepernik, RGIII, Vick, Russell Wilson, even Luck and Alex Smith, what does pro-style even mean.  It shouldn't just mean slow tall dude with a giant arm.  Because none of those dudes fit that description, but they're all solid to very good professional qbs.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

It means Brees, Brady, Manning(s), Rodgers…"Pro-Style" is run only when required to (e.g., scramble). At the college level, pro-style QB's are very much like how stanford and alabama play the QB position. What OSU would prefer is a 80% Pro-style, 20% "Dual". By "Dual" I mean running is their best attribute. In other words, Urban wants a guy who thinks pass first all the time on pass plays. As an example, Braxton has been and is still developing into that. 

rdubs's picture

Maybe you missed my point a little bit, but a lot of people we would probably label "dual" threat qbs are very good professional qbs so the label "pro-style" is obsolete.  

FROMTHE18's picture

he turned Alex Smith into the #1 Overall pick….I think he knows what to do with Pro-style QBs. 

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

LSU is getting Patterson because his brother is coaching there.  I have no worries for the Buckeyes landing a good QB in the class of 2016.  

Go Bucks!

whiskeyjuice's picture

seems to be a promising athlete

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-1 HS