Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Van Jefferson Tidbit

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture
July 31, 2014 at 1:22pm
43 Comments

DISCLAIMER: I am not a recruiting analyst and I do not have recruiting ties. I'm a teacher/coach in Murfreesboro about 25 minutes from Nashville. 

I recently got a job at a brand new school here in town. A lady I work with has 2 sons who play football with Van Jefferson at Ravenwood. I wore my Ohio State golf shirt to work yesterday so it started a convo about Van. She told me that the OSU staff encouraged Van NOT to visit UGA but he does have a visit planned with with them and that his dad is leaning UGA. She said that Van's parents told him it ultimately is his decision to make and they will support him. 

Just thought I'd pass that along. 

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Well presented. The court will accept your exhibit into its records. 

Thank you. 

+22 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I went to OSU...but I must say I have visited Athens, Georgia and UGA a couple of times and it is the most beautiful campus and cool college downtown I have seen in my travels. 

Two amazing options for Van...obviously OSU is better but props to Athens, Ga. 

+3 HS

UT is still in the running...  From the convo we had, I don't think he is leaning that way.  

+3 HS
AJBor41's picture

Did you actually visit Athens, GA, or did Mark Richt just draw you a picture of what it looks like in order to convince you of how cool it is?

+12 HS
mh277907's picture

I went to OSU...but I must say I have visited Athens, Georgia Ohio and UGA OU a couple of times and it is the most beautiful campus and cool college downtown I have seen in my travels. 

Two amazing options for Van...obviously OSU is better but props to Athens, Ga OH. 

Understandable typos, Chief.

buckeyebobcat

+4 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I spent two weeks in Athens, GA over the summer. It is a nice campus and the town has a lot of support for the University. I ate at Herschel Walker's restaurant (good eating). It's right next door to another good place "Mellow Mushroom" with a psychedelic statue of the GA bulldog. 

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

Clinger76's picture

I live 30 mins from Athens now  and I lived four blocks from The Shoe growing up. I'll take the history, The Coach, and THE Ohio State University every time!!

Our Honor Defend, I will fight to the end for......O-HI-O!!

tennbuckeye19's picture

I live in Murfreesboro as well. Are you working at Stewarts Creek? If so, I guess you'll be spending some time with Kevin Dyson.

I've heard the same thing about Van's father favoring Georgia. And obviously he's surrounded by UT fans on a daily basis wanting him to go there. I've heard Van favors OSU. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

I have heard that Van favors OSU but it wasn't from my coworker.  I am working at Overall Creek Elementary off of Veterans Parkway.  I coach football and basketball at Rockvale Middle School.  

+2 HS
woodi19's picture

I live between Murfreesboro and Lebanon and work in Franklin. Definitely going to catch a Ravenwood game this fall. Glad to see Buckeyes well represented in the 615

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

The longer this one goes - the worse it is for Ohio State.

From what I was told, there was never a plan to commit on his birthday.  I think they knew this was going to be a longer process.

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Both of his parents told me - individually - at The Opening that he was hoping to decide on July 26th but that if he wasn't ready, he wasn't going to force it.

PittBuckeye's picture

Ok, but like, what do they know?

+2 HS
KansasBuckeye's picture

Birm, I can't help but take note that you've been a bit of a Negative Nancy this week.  I was looking at the thread on Chambers commitment coming tomorrow and you were being quite pessimistic.  Not to mention your feelings on Kirk the other day.  This is totally unlike you, usually you're the one talking us off the edge.  I think you need to eat a Snickers or something.

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I call this "Birm being a realist"

+5 HS
KansasBuckeye's picture

I've never been a big fan of modern art.

+6 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I was just skimming, and at first read that as "I call this 'Birm being a racist'". Got a stern double take from this guy.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Georgia is a mess right now with all the off field crap. Hopefully the young man makes his decision sooner rather then later.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Furious George 27's picture

I find it hard to believe that the staff would encourage him not to visit a school for two reasons. First it would make OSU look desparate and secondly if you tell someone not to do something, they'll most likely do it anyway. It was mentioned on this site after the OSU visit, that his father has leaned toward UGA and they are still planned for a visit.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

Yea I usually wouldnt think our staff would do that,but this case may be a tad different. I think the Jeffersons admitted that other schools were basically raising some concerns about the offensive system we run here at tOSU. They came and checked it out and said their worries were alleviated. If another school is going to negatively recruit tOSU and Meyer I could see our staff not wanting them to visit said school. Although I thought it was Butch Jones and Tennessee trying to do that to us,but who knows. You never get hard facts when dealing with teenagers and recruiting.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I fall into the camp that, if you tell a recruit not to take his visits, you are not confident in the job of selling the program and making the recruit know its the best place for them. How many times has Hoke lost good recruits after telling them they cannot check out other schools once they commit.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

Well, if iremember correctly, Urban asked (demanded) that Dunn not visit Michigan. Maybe that was an exception.

EDIT: Sorry TENN. I should've read to the end.

+2 HS
CC's picture

Why do I have the feeling that approach will have the same approach as telling your daughter not to date "that guy"?

tennbuckeye19's picture

It's not unprecedented for a school to discourage a kid from visiting other schools. But I doubt they would just come out and say, "Don't take that visit." I would think they'd be a little more subtle than that. Although, it sounds like Urban did tell Bri'onte Dunn something along those lines when he wanted to visit UM.

Perhaps the staff told Van something like, if he knows he wants to be a Buckeye, why visit elsewhere? I don't know.

+3 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Has Van acquired any new cars in the last 18 months?  If so, do you know which coach gave it to him?  My money is on Richt.

Go Bucks!

-2 HS

Van's dad is a coach on the Titans coaching staff, so I don't think he would need anyone to give him a car.  I like your thinking and sarcasm tho.  

+3 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Forgot that.  Good call.  I let my anti-SEC bias get the best of me.

Go Bucks!

Hayze's picture

Rumor on Tennessee's 247 board is he is committing on Saturday. TIFWIW.

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

I assume they are claiming he is picking them?

+2 HS

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I heard he was picking Kentucky

+4 HS
TNBuckeye1421's picture

If you hear uk fans tell it every 5* in the country is picking them and they will win 9 games this year... They are still spewing this stoopstroops and air raid garbage... I get a good laugh daily down here in Redneck land.

+2 HS
Nashville's picture

I've been pretty skeptical on landing Van for a while. His dad Shawn coached with UGA DL coach Tracy Rocker for the last three years with the Titans. I know the Rockers very well and know they are close to the Jeffersons. If he doesn't come to Columbus, I hope he picks UGA over UT. 

"You can never pay back, but you can always pay forward."

lljjgg's picture

Seems like this is the 4th or 5th place I've read over the last few months that Jefferson loves OSU, but that his dad favors a team other than OSU (sometimes it's UT, sometimes it's UGA). Wonder what it is about OSU he doesn't like? Odd situation.

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

I think the future of the QB position at OSU has some WR recruits a little concerned.

buckeyebobcat

I get what you're saying, but UT doesn't have an elite QB on their roster and UGA's future QB ran the wing-T in high school.  It's not like they have stud QB's on the roster or in the 2015 class.  I know UGA has landed a stud in 2016  tho.  

Grayskullsession's picture

Looks like recruiting WRs is going to be a struggle this year. This is very frustrating.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

-1 HS
OSU069's picture

Down? I think we have gotten some pretty good WR's in the last couple classes. Jalin Marshall and Johnnie Dixon were both top 5 WR in their respective recruiting classes.

Grayskullsession's picture

I agree that last years WR class was great. It seems that we have struggled to consistently land our first choice with WRs lately.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

Turtlebuster's picture

Would be curious if the 11w staff sees at least 2 quality WRs in this class when its all said and done.

buckeyeguy0615's picture

Did we even offer Justin Layne?

jamesrbrown322's picture

I'm no recruiting analyst, but Van lives here in Middle TN, and many of my Tennessee friends, who are fans of the fake UT, have indicated that some within the program think that things are trending back OSU's way, but that Tenn is trying to convince him to hold out on committing until at least after he takes all of his officials. Not sure if it's true, but just adds to the drama. I'd love to see him in Columbus, as the Bucks desperately need a crisp route runner with great hands and size.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS