Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

TE Oliver commits to UT

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture
June 22, 2014 at 10:58pm
20 Comments

Kyle Oliver from Oakland High School has committed to UT. He didn't have an OSU offer but he was getting some interest. 

From the pic on Twitter today, it looks that the coaching staff MIGHT be moving Hubbard to TE. Pure speculation. 

Jabba1977's picture

Why are we having problems finding a TE? It does not make any sense!!

SECHATER77

JDunc686's picture

I remember reading that Urban wanted to take 1 per class (on average I assume); that said, I think they were all in on Gesicki last year and didn't want to "settle" when things did not go as hoped for with that.  This year, I think it is a similar situation where they had a few guys they were pretty interested in and if it does not work out then they will adapt as needed from there (aka the possible Hubbard at TE maneuver). This is of course all speculation on my part.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

In today's game of the passing attack, tight ends are used more as receivers, not blockers, and although OSU's TE get some passes thrown their way, they block a considerable amount more than some schools' tight ends. Guys wanna be featured, not role players, especially when you're considered the best at your position. 

Buck-I4Life

+4 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

No offense but that's bullshit that gets perpetuated by posts like this. Heuerman was like 14th in the nation in yards by TEs last year, including TEs like Funchess who are really WRs. You're not helping by posting things like this. 

-2 HS
Mortc15's picture

I hope your wording is just off bc it seems like you think Heuerman had more yards than Funchess. Check your facts. 750 doesn't compare to 460 and there were a handful of RB with more yards than Heuer last year. 

I love Heuerman as a player, but looking at it from a recruit's standpoint, the position doesn't stand out at OSU. 

Buck-I4Life

+7 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

I meant that the group includes TEs that are really WRs, like Funchess.  Didn't mean for it to sound like I thought he had more than Funchess.

TheBadOwl's picture

I meant that the group includes TEs that are really WRs, like Funchess.

Tight End/WR hybrid players have been killing it in the NFL though, and they've been getting drafted higher. Jimmy Graham, Jordan Cameron, Gronk, Vernon Davis, Julius Thomas, and now Eric Ebron. It's a lot easier to sell a kid on that role than on our mostly-blocking tight end role.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Thank you. This was the point I was trying to make, you just worded it better. 

Buck-I4Life

JDunc686's picture

Remember that time when you told someone else that their opinion was "bullshit" but it was ok because you said "no offense" first?

+5 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Haha!  VERY funny.  As stated above, I didn't intend for it to come across like that.  I really didn't mean to offend.  Next time I will take a lesson from the people down here and use, "bless your heart", as in "Wow, you say the dumbest, most ill-informed things I've EVER read.....bless your heart."  Haha!   Hey, we're all Buckeyes here (except for those Mishitgan and ND spies that pop up and try to kill us with kindness.  But are all a bunch of aholes....bless their hearts".

-3 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Sorry man didn't mean to insult you.  The "bullshit" was in regard to the common narrative that tOSU TEs don't get to catch the ball.  Not trying to be a dick to you, I just see that everywhere and was attempting to call BS.  Typing on the Internet never seems to come across the way we intend.  Again, sorry for the way it came off!

-1 HS
Jordan Wagner's picture

Oliver was scheduled to be evaluated at Friday Night Lights, but I don't think an offer would have mattered here. Ohio State is running out of quality tight ends, however, if Hubbard is moving to tight end then I don't think we reach in 2015. Take Farrell and Hausmann in 2016. 

mtrotb's picture

Agree 100%.

mtrotb

Hayze's picture

I still think there are quality TEs out there. This time last year we were just starting to hear about Mike Gesicki.

There's also DeAndre Neal who would be more of an H back but would still fill the role.

+1 HS
OSUlewis's picture

http://247sports.com/Player/Colin-Thompson-7240?Institution=4434

Not going to lie - I did not do any research on this guy. I just saw that he is transferring from UF and he is a TE. Wonder if we would be interested at all?

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Doesn't look like OSU is even a contender.

http://www.onlygators.com/tag/colin-thompson/

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

jamesrbrown322's picture

Funny, I didn't know that Texas was recruiting him.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+2 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

Clark will flip to osu 

jamesrbrown322's picture

After the trash that's he's talking about OSU-UM, I can't imagine that happening. But it will be funny after *ichigan goes 5-7 and the coaching staff is canned.

Then he'll go to MSU anyway, according to him.

BuckeyeJ's picture

Ditto! And I forgot to put in my sarcasm font

+1 HS