Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

I just don't understand why top tier TE's refuse to want to come to oh st?

Shaffbucks's picture
June 20, 2014 at 5:27pm
17 Comments

Help me understand ??

Groveport Heisman's picture

Cause we got too many big D!cks running around...They want to star at TE not split end.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
teddyballgame's picture

take me back to the ben hartsock days pls

Seattle Linga's picture

If Baugh stays clean and true - he is going to be a tough cover.

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

Well last year was a case of we put all out eggs in Mike Gesicki basket and lost. Kid grew up a PSU fan too so can't blame him for his choice.

This year we've put all our eggs in the Chris Clark basket thus far and lost to TSUN. Remember it's only June and we still have several camps to evaluate kids and land a TE this season. If you read Jordan's article today he breaks down our options and did an awesome job as always. 

I think we need a TE this year, but it's not going to absolutely kill us if we don't get one. I also think everyone disregards the fact Urban landed the #4 TE in the nation in Marcus Baugh for the 2013 class and has Nick Vannett for 2 more seasons. Ohio's 2016 class looks very promising as we have two very talented TEs in the state with Jake Hausmann Luke Farrell who are currently ranked the nations #3 and #9 TE respectively.  Ohio State is sitting very well with both of them. 

+1 HS
beserkr29's picture

I think it's a combination of scheme and results. OSU has put TE after TE in the league, but isn't churning out players with big receiving stats. Heuerman had some like 480 yards receiving last year, a big uptick in TE production since Tress's halcyon days. Additionally, Urban's scheme isn't TE centric. Yes, Hernandez, but he had a really stellar season with a couple pedestrian ones (relatively speaking) in a system not like many pro setups. Other teams run stricter pro setups with more concepts that you can see on Sunday, whereas the Buckeyes (under Urban) show underneath and vertical passing to the wideouts as a change of pace to running with Hyde and Miller. Heurerman got his yards on 2 to 4 passes a game that Herman called to punish the D for cheating. It has worked great, but as a recruiting pitch isn't as seductive as what other schools are saying. Obviously other factors play in as well, but those are the two I think are most responsible.

+2 HS
s.pasadena fl's picture

Don't be to quick to write off Clark!  Have you forgotten about Baugh?

Ed Hopper

BuckNutzGasMan's picture

Clark visited us then comitted to Michigan 2 days later.  Don't think you get much more rock solid than that.

+2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

According to this there are 34 other schools who turn out better tight ends than does OSU, that might have something to do with it. Who was our last "star" TE??? The Owl Wes Fesler???

ESPN OSU Position U ratings:

LB #1

DB #1

K #1

QB #7

OL #9

WR #10

DL #12

RB #13

TE #35

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

#1 Kicker Tressel would be proud. 

FROMTHE18's picture

ESPN said it so it must be true

Poison nuts's picture

Ok, I'm gonna do it & hope people like jokes:

I guess nobody's going for the whole "next Aaron Hernandez" pitch.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Short answer, recently we have not known to be a producer of TE talent in the Urban Meyer era here..  yet. Michigan and Penn State throw the ball to TE's often, when we do it's broken coverage on a seam route. We have plenty of games where you wouldn't know we had TE's. That is all. This can all be erased in recruiting once one of our guys has a big year. That's all it will take. It's recruiting, you're dealing with young kids in the "What have you done for me lately generation",  Until one of our tight ends has a monster season like Funchess or produces like Jake Butt or the trio of guys at Penn State, we won't land a big time tight end. Once we have a guy breakout, we will get our man. Pretty simple really.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

We set offensive records last year. Who gives a damn about the whole 'highlight the TE position'. We score, and we move the ball. TE's get touches and get opportunities in the redone in this offense. All we need is a dude who can run routes, block, and catch passes. 

sharks's picture

He never had a 1000 yd rb until last year, now the big name recruits are lining up.  Work Heuerman into the O even more this year, and watch the TE tap turn on too.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Right on the money. Hydes year helped reverse negative recruiting and I fully expect our TE's to be a "major" part of our offense this year.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Hayze's picture

At this time last year people were just starting to realize who Mike Gesicki was.

+2 HS