Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

KBonay's picture

Count me in as one who hopes so. 

+6 HS
hobochops987's picture

Him and Burrow.  Yes Please.

Trust in UFM

+5 HS
EwanJobi's picture

The QB soap opera continues...

+1 HS
woodi19's picture

Staff, does the recent news from TG change the game for Waller?  I know Birm has been on the record saying multiple times,
"It ain't gonna happen".  Just wondering if anyone thinks that the news changes things?  I for one, am a HUGE Waller fan.

+1 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

We were clearly recruiting TG as an athlete only.

-4 HS
BengalErnst's picture

Can't be true. Birm said, " ain't going to happen. "

Nicholas l Ernst

+2 HS
Katzfan's picture

I certainly trust Birm but having said that, Waller states that he talks to Herman almost daily. I can't believe that the kid would be lying and I sincerely mean it when I say I trust Birm, but this means that there's got to be a "bullshit" card to be played somewhere because the Staff is NOT going to talk to a kid that much if they weren't at least thinking about offering. Am I wrong? Something just doesn't add up here. It will all come out eventually. Recruiting is SO frustrating at times you know...LOL

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got nine guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time." -- Urban Frank Meyer  -- I LOVE THIS DUDE!! :)

+9 HS
otrain2416's picture

I hate to speculate, but I agree something doesn't add up. We've seen him throw a while ago, he seems like a good kid so it's not a character issue, wonder if were waiting on a qualifying ACT score or something along that line.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Maybe Urban wanted to see him in person first?

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

BengalErnst's picture

Didn't mean this to be disrespectful to Birm at all, fully respect and appreciate the man.

Nicholas l Ernst

+4 HS
SilverState's picture

Wasserman has been killing it lately. Great news. Thanks for sharing.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

i say we flip wimbush

+4 HS
305Buck's picture

Think that's impossible. His mom and dad are both Penn State grads, not to mention how we already have a QB in our class, so why join one class that already has a QB, when you can be the man in your own class? And plus he is already recruiting hard for Penn State.

+2 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

...Man I really wanted Wimbush. He was my top get for QBs this class.

OSUpawn's picture

I could be out in left field with this or over thinking.

I think Tom is recruiting Waller and telling him how much he likes him and he is at the top of his QB board. While UFM is recruiting Gibson.  So, they can see where the Gibson drama plays out. That way if they change or lose out on Gibson, Tom can offer Waller and tell him that he wanted him the whole time and Waller won't feel like the second option. 

^ That might have been a little confusing. 

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+5 HS
EDUGOON's picture

#B I N G O

"We Don't Believe You, You Need More People"- Hova #GOBUCKS #FreeElGuapo #Famthik

EDUGOON's picture

#B I N G O

"We Don't Believe You, You Need More People"- Hova #GOBUCKS #FreeElGuapo #Famthik

buckeyeguy0615's picture

1. Tom* not Tim

2. Gibson said he hasn't heard from Ohio State in two weeks

+4 HS
sivaDavis's picture

2. Gibson said he hasn't heard from Ohio State in two weeks

Papa Urbs is a busy man.

Seriously though, I think I remember earlier in the process that Gibson said he and Urban would talk like once a day and shoot messages back and forth. So when a coach is constantly trying to get you to come visit, multiple times telling you that you're the #1 target and instead you visit all these schools, do you really expect them to keep kissing your ass? Especially when they see you visiting these schools like Tennessee for the 50th time and instead of visiting there for the 50th time you could have kept driving and visited OSU "the school you love" for the first time. I personally love the kid as an athlete but if it's true I'm glad they are moving on. He was always too egotistical. Well spoken, but he let recruiting blow his head up.  

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

And just as Alabama jumps firmly in the picture. Typically not a good thing to let 'Bama gain a foothold...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2094250-4-star-qb-travis-waller-talks-alabama-lane-kiffin-and-his-surprise-finalist

-1 HS
305Buck's picture

I cant see him ending up at Bama, 1. They suck at using dual threat QBs and 2. I cant see a Cali kid wanting to live in Alabama.

If he visits Ohio State at the end of June and earns his offer, the kid will be a Buckeye on July 1st.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

What's there to do in bama in your spare time? Other than fishin at the local fishin hole.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Not sure but I heard there are a lot of nervous sheep walking around with puckered up buttholes. Could be fun a couple times I suppose.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-6 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

What is there to do in Columbus? Besides football and beer?

-7 HS
Danify's picture

Is this sarcasm? Plenty of activities to do in Columbus (Easton, Polaris, Clippers, Short North, Commons, Brewery Distance, Columbus Zoo, Art Museum, COSI, and the list goes on). However, I have a feeling this is sarcasm, has to be. Ha. 

+9 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Added these for you Danify

+4 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

I was joking.  But I'm okay with the puckered bum downvotes.

I moved away in 2005 and have only been back to watch games (=football & beer).

+2 HS
Danify's picture

Ha. I figured you were kidding.

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Don't feel bad.  I posted a joke on another article.  Someone that followed it with "oh snap" got more up votes than my joke.  The mob is fickle.

+2 HS
Nick's picture

Alabama is a pretty decent place. Just a lot of ticks...

Ludwig Yards's picture

Yeah, hopefully the article is overselling the Alabama angle. Have to think he has a deeper relationship with OSU at this point too.

-1 HS
305Buck's picture

Yup, kid claims he talks to the coaching staff almost everyday and is practically begging for an offer.

brunstar's picture

Bama doesn't have to worry about scholarship numbers so they're always a pain in the ass.

+7 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Bama doesn't have to worry about scholarship numbers any NCAA rules so they're always a pain in the ass.

+20 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

I was thinking the same thing, every kid I read about has an alabama offer.  I guess they just offer everyone then cut those they no longer need when the season starts.

kmp10's picture

I follow recruiting… but not to the extent that some do on here. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but I don't believe that Ohio State offers Waller unless they know that he will commit. I think it's 'if we offer you right now will you accept… right now?' If Waller says 'yes, I will accept if you offer', well, I believe that's the only way Meyer extends a scholarship opportunity to him. Burrow is in the fold and the staff obviously feels good about him, so that gives them a little leverage regarding Waller's recruitment. Someone mentioned in another thread that Meyer has mishandled the recruitment of quarterbacks the last two years. As you might expect, the commenter took somewhat of a beating from the 'Meyer/Ohio State can do no wrong contingent', but I thought he made a valid point. I think Urban has had more egg on his face specific to recruiting the QB position than is acceptable to him, and I don't believe he's going to allow Waller to add to that embarrassment. Obviously, the recruiting here has been elite under Meyer… with two glaring exceptions: tight end and quarterback. 

+5 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I get what you are saying and what the person who questioned it originally. However there's no evidence that we "missed" other than rankings, at which point the Smith vs Zwick argument comes into play.  Neither collier nor burrow are chopped liver and I think we should stop acting like they are. They weren't first picks, but rarely do you get your first choice. Either way, these guys were selected and I think this fact is getting lost. However, its impossible to claim that Meyer missed the mark the past two years at QB when neither of those recruits have taken the field. 

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I wonder if Waller or Gibson has more Forum Topics...

+2 HS
Hayze's picture
+18 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Jason has given us the ability to have unlimited Fire Fickell threads...

+2 HS
juniorbuck's picture

I love Waller. I would really like to see a quarterback in our offense that can spread the ball to all of the weapons we'll have on the perimeter. Whether it be Barrett, Collier, Burrow, Waller, etc, I just can't believe how much much success Urban has had with QB's that struggle throwing. Give me any of those guys over a run-first QB.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I like your thinking Junior and for as much talent as the running QB's bring to the field there is nothing like a QB that has pin-point accuracy, balls of steel and has some mobility.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I like your thinking Junior and for as much talent as the running QB's bring to the field there is nothing like a QB that has pin-point accuracy, balls of steel and has some mobility

It sounds to me like you're describing Joe Germaine or Craig Krenzel. Not a bad thing.

allinosu's picture

That's not Gibson.

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Not. Going. To. Happen.

BuckNutzGasMan's picture

I wish I could downvote this. I NEED Waller! :-)

+15 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

As Birm said, 

+2 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

I love you Birm I got faith will happen, or he'll go to Alabama in be just like that last big time dual threat ..... Who!!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

Ahh Saturday's picture

Why. Not.

I thought the Buckeyes wanted 2 QBs in this class and they ain't getting Gibson, so . . .

+5 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

If that's true I'm going to assume it's because they feel really good about who they have or are going to get.

TraSmith4's picture

So. What. Is. Going. To. Happen. BIRM? 

What do you apparently know that you are not telling us????

-1 HS
BengalErnst's picture

This is like the ultimate pretty girl keeping you on the hook as backup while she's going after the bigger more attractive male..

Nicholas l Ernst

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

If it makes you feel better, she and I are very happy and doing well. Time to let it go man...time to let it go. 

+5 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Waller to Alabama........WILL NOT HAPPEN!    Unless the 2015's arrive early!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Although Torrance Gibson is a drama queen, he has the potential to be elite.  I hope he visits and we move up on his list.

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

FWIW, Joe Burrow's brother posts on Bucknuts, and he posted today that he has some inside information on the Waller situation that he can't share, but wait and see what happens.

+4 HS
BengalErnst's picture

Tell him true buckeye fans come to 11W

Nicholas l Ernst

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Just another note in all of this is that Blake Barnett could factor into the equation here. He just visited Bama and subsequently cancelled all other visits that he had planned. He is soon expected to decide between Bama and Oregon, obviously if he were to choose Bama then you would have to assume that Waller would cross them off the list. Northwestern is a true sleeper for Waller if you read his comments about them he believes that he could be a 4 year starter for them.

Whats the deal with Kiffin going after dual threat QB's now? I remember as soon as he was hired at Tenn his first move was to chase off Tajh Boyd and tell him he didnt fit his system. What a clown and I seriously wonder where this change of heart has come from.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

In other speculative and far more likely news, I may extend a scholarship offer to another Corona.  

And then in true James Franklin fashion, I will revoke the scholarship offer after 20 minutes. 

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

+1 HS

It's Monday and I've not said this in two days so I figure I'll put it out there for your consumption.

Travis Waller will not get a Buckeye offer. 2015 QB recruiting is done unless Joe Burrow decides he'd rather play somewhere else.

Crimson's picture

Oh god!  Joe Burrow is decommitting.  The sky is falling!  Run for it!!!

+7 HS

Been two days? You just hit us upside the head with this hammer yesterday in your Sunday recruiting breakdown. Let us have hope instead of strangling us all at once Birm.

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

Now what are we supposed to do about future QB threads?

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

We could move on to future RB threads... I heard that there's a stud 5th grade RB out of Cincinnati, but Les Miles and Lane Kiffin have already offered him, so OSU better get in there quick!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kiffin already offered his dad a BMX mike so that's going to be tough to beat. 

BTW the kids name is Billy McGilicutty

+3 HS
EwanJobi's picture

Well, it definitely doesn't help when we keep getting love from eligible QBs in the 2015 season.

Does Deondre know were only taking one QB?

KB3RG's picture

After being at Auburn, the Tennessee trip is cancelled. Off to Ohio state tomorrow morning.
Dre (@Deondre_3) 

Woodshed's picture

Great point. It looks like OSU is doing nothing to deter him from making his visit.

buckguyfan1's picture

Cuz we're taking 2 top QB studs next year.

No, probably not. One every year is the ideal.

OSU069's picture

No Haskins and Henry? 

Woodshed's picture

Those 2 would NEVER go to the same school IMO.

KB3RG's picture

I do not see Waller getting the offer either unfortunately. I really liked what I saw in Waller but if you think about it, after this season I see Barrett winning out the starting job for next season and be there for 2-3 years.  Then 2016 class to add in a QB such as Haskins/Henry/Guarantano/Pass and Collier/Burrow will battle for the backup spot under Barrett. Clark then comes in for 2017.

305Buck's picture

Meyer took 3 QBs in his 2007 class at Florida, and 2 in his 2010 class, so never rule out the possibility of more than one QB being in any of his classes.

+1 HS