Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

OSU 2015 LB Class

jonping67's picture
June 8, 2014 at 5:35pm
44 Comments

Sh'mar Kilby-Lane did not commit to the good guys, but was his offer committable? Many people have posted "Offer Nick Conner". Folks, he is not good enough to get an offer with only 2 or 3 LB scholarships available, so who will be the 2 or 3 commits at linebacker?

Inside LB - 1. Hilliard  2. Holland

Outside LB - 1. Baker  3. Deberry

Nick Conner will only get a committable offer if we can't land 2 out of the 4 above.

Knarcisi's picture

3.  Hilliard, Baker, and Conner

JDunc686's picture

Why isn't Conner good enough?

buck-I.8's picture

Because the staff have seen him play, and don't think he's worthy of an offer yet...? They aren't just going to offer people just to put offers out there. 

+10 HS
jonping67's picture

No, I don't think he's worthy of an offer due to the 4 LB's I posted. OSU had a big haul last year and they are now going to be picky. Hilliard said it last week, "OSU can be picky with who they accept a commitment from.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

SKL offer was definitely committable. I also believe that Conner will earn his offer at camp on the 19th, the same way Tyler Green earned his today and committed.

+3 HS
JDunc686's picture

Nope, Jonping said he isn't good enough, so thats a wrap...

+15 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

What the hell did I just read?

+5 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

oh this is gonna get good..

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Having 4-5 guys higher on the board =/= not good enough

+5 HS
buck-I.8's picture

When those guys have an offer and he doesn't, yeah, that basically means if those guys are still on the board he isn't good enough "for an offer", which is what OP said.

+4 HS
JDunc686's picture

Except guys don't get offered until after camping every single year, doesn't mean they aren't good enough, just means the coaches might want to see them in person in a different setting.

+2 HS
buck-I.8's picture

So there's a handful of guys that got offers without camping, and a handful that could get offers at camp? I'm not math major but the way I see it Instant committable offer > Conditional offer based on potential camp performance. 

JDunc686's picture

I'm not an English Major, but just because prospect A is held in higher regard than prospect B, doesn't mean prospect B isn't good enough to be worthy of an offer.

+2 HS
buck-I.8's picture

Well the point was that he isn't good enough to get an immediate offer on the sole contingency that one of our other targets committed elsewhere. If he comes into camp and shows that he is good enough and changes the coaches' perceptions at that time, maybe he gets one, but at the moment, he is not good enough to be offered, as evidenced by the fact that he doesn't have an offer.

+3 HS
JDunc686's picture

The original post states plainly that he isn't good enough to get an offer.  Where I disagree with your logic is that it seems like you are saying that Conner is only good enough for an offer at the exact moment he is offered.  I would argue that a player can be good enough for an offer before he gets said offer.  Example:  Tyler Green was just as good at football yesterday as he is today.

+3 HS
buck-I.8's picture

Now, that's where I disagree too, but for the opposite reason. The conditional of the argument isn't how good he is at football, it's whether his skill makes him worthy of an offer at this point. If he gets offered, it will likely be because we missed out on other targets. The condition deals with the other prospects, not Connor. He is a passive participant as far as we're concerned here.

In the case of Green, there isn't a level playing field. While the LB situation is clear, the S situation isn't. There are not a clear, elite top few that are likely joining the class. Thus, Connor may be good enough for an offer in a vacuum, but not if it means he's taking a spot reserved for one of those top guys. 

Agree to disagree, though. I respect your opinion on the issue, and I always want to see Ohio guys end up at OSU. 

+2 HS
JDunc686's picture

I respect yours as well, good discussion!

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

wtf hilliard at ILB? lmao

Class of '16

-1 HS
JDunc686's picture

I don't agree with the posters assessment at all but Hilliard did get moved to ILB by 247Sports this week, this was brought to my attention yesterday

ab1993's picture

check again it still says outside linebacker

Class of '16

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Pretty sure it was Scout that moved him to ILB.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Yup, many believe he will end up at ILB, but he could certainly play either inside or out. Scout moved him in the middle of the week.

305Buck's picture

Hilliard will play ILB at Ohio State. Same position SKL got recruited for as well.

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

why would we want to recruit him at ILB when we have Kwon?

Class of '16

-1 HS
305Buck's picture

Grant gone after this year, and Cam Williams will never see the field here. Booker may end up inside as well, but right now he's on the outside. That's why Hilliard is being recruited as an ILB. And with this new defensive scheme, you need athletic ILB that can drop back in coverage a lot.  

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

"Cam Williams will never see the field here"

Amen

+2 HS
d5k's picture

From my understanding, the Will and Mike roles in the new scheme are more interchangeable than in the past.  The Sam role however is a hybrid LB/Safety capable of covering a slot receiver but still with a LB body.  Kinda like the Star in the old scheme.  I'm guessing Sam Hubbard might join Worley/Lee as the depth for the Sam spot.  Booker will likely backup Perry at WIll and Kwon/Grant are battling obviously for the Mike spot.

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Yes, there are several highly rated prospects out there that we offered before Connor. There were several we offered before Darron Lee, who looks to start this year over Trey Johnson. If the staff didn't think he was good enough they wouldn't even be recruiting him. Maybe they want to make sure he is athletic enough to play linebacker in our system. If Connor makes it to camp later this month, I think he is gonna get his offer. 

+6 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

This recruiting class and the way the staff is approaching the offers is so different from the last couple of years.

+5 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Any news on DeBerry? I'm assuming that losing SKL will shift the focus. I think they'll just be content with three LBs. And if those 3 are Hilliard, Baker, and DeBerry, that's pretty damn good in my book!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

With Clelin Farrell committing to Clemson, and Tim Settle favoring Clemson, I think DeBerry may end up there as well. The day Farrell committed to Clemson, he tweeted "Congrats to my bro @Cle_Missile for committing to Clemson today!!! I might join him."

Hayze's picture

Doesn't mean anything IMO.

Sure DeBerry could end up at Clemson, but he won't go there just because one of his friends went there.

+2 HS
s.pasadena fl's picture

Booker is the reason Hilliard is looked at on the inside at OSU. Would play outside at ND or Michigan.

Ed Hopper

2002osubuck's picture

Conners a solid player and will earn an offer when he comes to camp. From what ive seen, he's a really smart player and that's the key to running our D. The guy in the middle has to be the QB on D. I'd be really happy with Conner, Hilliard and Baker.

Mortc15's picture

No one has mentioned the big thing about Conner's recruitment. Until MSU, no other major program had offered him yet either. Between wanting to see more and being able to wait because of that, I would say that's why he hasn't yet been offered. If they're going to offer him at all, it'll be after he camps in a few weeks, IMO. 

Buck-I4Life

+5 HS
sivaDavis's picture

It's not that Conner isn't good enough, there are just guys ahead of him that are thought more highly of by the staff, that's all. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I would have been very happy had SKL committed to OSU.  However, I didn't feel it was a huge loss when he committed to FSU.  What I don't like is the idea that he's still in play, that Urban might flip him.  Maybe he is still in play, but to me SKL isn't a "chase him until signing day" player.  He's made his choice, and it's time for the Buckeyes to move on.  Get Conner in camp, and if he looks good offer him.

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

According to 247 they will be surprised if Conner is NOT a Buckeye. Said that buckeyes are still in contact with him all the tine

UrbzRenewal's picture

As long as SKL is still in play, which TOS' OSU sources strongly believe, Conner will not receive an offer. He's certainly a long play. He may receive a conditional offer, but I think they'll wait on SKL for a while.

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Hilliard. Baker. 

The end.

Buck Wild's picture

He has spoken...so let it be written, so let it be done...

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

+1 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

You don't think there will be a 3rd LB commit?

Jordan Wagner's picture

I think Nick Conner is definitely Ohio State caliber. A class of Hilliard, Baker and Conner would be pretty dang good. The cool thing? All are from Ohio.