Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Larry Scott

GirthBrooks's picture
June 5, 2014 at 12:51am
70 Comments

Jeremy recently cast his crystal ball for him to OSU. Also some buzz on other sites for the good guys.........

305Buck's picture

Yup, read that Ohio State turned the tables on his trip last weekend. Hopefully we can wrap him, SKL, Taylor, Jefferson and Hilliard up before the end of the month.

+5 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I honestly think, all though I know some will disagree. If we land Scott we are then out of it for Harris. I know the probability of us taking 2 RB's is high and all that jazz, and its just a gut feeling nothing concrete. Scott is a man child and a true Ohio beast, but I think Harris might have the higher ceiling with all the extra speed he brings to the table. I'd be pretty conflicted if I had to choose just one because I have a higher love for hard nosed Ohio high school football players, but I also love me some good old speed.Bring it Larry.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+7 HS
1967Buck's picture

You maybe right Groveport. I would take both of them and be very happy. Peace.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

We're taking two running backs. One will hopefully be Harris, the second is either Scott, Weber or possibly Hines, who we may take regardless, since he'd play the H.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
Buckabroad's picture

That could be. While I really want Harris to become a Buckeye badly, I really want Scott as well. He has a punishing running style that would pay huge dividends imo in the Midwest in late autumn. To me, Harris and Scott are very different types of RBs who would compliment one another well (the "cheetah and the bull"). Since we took no pure RBs in the 2014 class, both should know that OSU would prefer to take two RBs in this class. I hope that Harris and Scott see this as well, because both together would be a fearsome duo. This tandem could go a long way towards bringing the Buckeyes into the playoffs in the future.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

If we land Scott we are then out of it for Harris.

Are they even the same type of RB? I look at Scott like LenDale White, and Harris like Reggie Bush.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS

Harris is a big back with speed, Scott is more of pure power.  Sure they are not identical or anything. I think it would have more to do with both being good enough to carry a team,both being top 5 type of talents.I think we would still get 2 quality RB's no matter what just not confident it would be "those" two.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

mtrotb's picture

I am not going to put down Larry Scott, but show me where he is ranked in any top 5?  Also, two years ago Bama signed 4 backs-Henry, Tenpenny who both played as true frosh and Jones and Kamara-since booted, who both redshirted.  Bring them in and let them compete.

mtrotb

+1 HS

Never said I didnt want both,yeah if we can land both  I would be happy as hell, Bama brings in an abundance of 5*'s at a lot of positions but dont act like its common for everyone to do that.USC in the Carrol days would bring in multiple 5* QB's  but not everyone was that lucky. Scott now sits rated as a top 10 RB,I believe after his senior season he will have worked himself into the top 5,Ratings do change and he isnt far off to begin with.

-1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture
+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Don't rule out landing both. Remember Alabama's classes where they landed 3-4 five star RBs over two years? There are plenty of opportunities in OSU's offense for a RB. There will be enough carries to go around. Plus, there will be space, eligiblity wise, between the 2015 class, and those ahead of them, so I wouldn't worry too much. You could be right that they miss on Harris eventually, but if he's the #1 RB in America, I can't imagine that another RB committing would affect him too much, unless it's a fellow top 10 caliber player.

That being said, count me in the minority that would rather have Harris and Weber. But, Scott is an Ohio kid, so if he wants to join the good guys, more power to him. I just refuse to believe that a player of Harris's caliber would be deterred by a little competition.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

-1 HS
skid21's picture

Remember Alabama's classes where they landed 3-4 five star RBs over two years?

I love my Buckeyes but when have we done that lately?

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I love my Buckeyes but when have we done that lately?

Hopefully never because taking 4 RBs in a single class is foolish...unless you're Nick Saban and can just run off the two who don't finish on top.

That being said Ohio State took 2 top 10 RBs in 2013 (Elliot & Wilson). That followed a top 10 + top 15 in 2012 (Dunn & Ball).

skid21's picture

And where is the publicity about how this hurt Bama in recruiting?

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Who said there was any? You asked when Ohio State had last signed multiple blue chippers.

teddyballgame's picture

I don't think it's that big of a deal to him.  Here's what Harris had to say about it in a recent interview:

What if OSU takes a RB before you decide?
That wouldn’t affect me at all. I don’t mind playing with another back. It has its advantages. It’s less of a beating on you as a back and you get to share some reps with another great player. But at the same time, I would like to play in a one-back offense. Either way, it doesn’t bother me. I couldn’t care less either way.

+3 HS

Thats a nice find Teddy, I dont think Ive ever seen a recruit actually admit that if they take another top player at their position then they will certainly look elsewhere. They dont want to seem weak and come off as scared of competition. Would be absolutely mind boggling if we can land Harris and Scott in my opinion.I fully anticipate Scott tearing it up this year and improving on his ranking Nationally. While it has been done before and will be done again we have to admit it is rare to get 2 blue chip prospects at a "me"position.I consider those QB and RB mostly because you can carry a team on your back,there are exceptions.Kids will look you straight in the face and say his commitment doesnt affect mine and then the next week schedule more visits. Recruiting is a very  hard thing to pinpoint and will never be an exact science. I notice young Harris mentioned wanting to play in a single back offense so hopefully he is true to his words and is willing to compete for that spot with a kid that might be just as good. Things are looking brighter in Columbus,Ohio.

luckynutz's picture

Either way you look at it, the depth chart is stocked in the backfield. EzE, elliot and ball all have 3 years. Rod Smith wont factor in. But Curtis Samuel will. And depending on how he fills outs, parris campbell might as well. Meyer prefers to have a multitude of guys available at all times.

We still need a faster guy with size similar to EzE and that would be Harris. Always room for the next Carlos Hyde and that would be Scott. We are loaded but we lose Smith after this year and I would probably expect a xfer out of the group. Samuel has 3-4 solid years back there God damn I'm excited.

luckynutz's picture

You misssed my point. The point was made that scott committing might scare off harris. I was pointing out that the depth chart has enough talent. Coming in, he would have to compete either way. And as far as a transfer...if dunn was going to tranafer, he would have already. They gave him a redshirt his sophomore year. And he came back hungry. and ball ia putting in work also. If the writing was aleady on the wall, why would a 5 star guy absorb a redshirt and commit himself to the program? Dunn isnt leaving. Neither is ball.

The point i waa making was that whether or not scott commits...harris is staring competitikn straight in the face. And he knows that. He wants to win, be succesful and set himself up for the NFL payday. Where better to do that than working with coach drayton and facing off with a boayload of talented rbs?

By the time he got on campus how much eligibility would Dunn and Ball have? Not a whole lot.One of those kids might want to take a shot at playing time. Kids look at it differently when it is a  highly rated player in the same recruiting class at the same position. Competition is everywhere but you want to maximize your opportunity. I see what you are saying and from the beginning I said this was just a gut feeling,a feeling I have from watching how it all unfolds in high school football for many years. I think its a possibility we can get both but if Scott explodes next year like I think he will then I think that chance would slim down a tad. We have a great staff and Urban has said as long as he coaches here our offensive identity will be inside power zone running the rock. That makes me happy. We need stars at that position to continue the success we are accustomed too.

luckynutz's picture

Dunn and ball would have 2 years of eligibility. And 3 years in the system and coach micks strength program. Same amount as ezekiel elliot as far as eligibility. And yes...urban meyer is committed to the power spread. And has been blessed with a number of pieces that fit it like a glove. Hyde was just the beginning. Dont sleep on either dunn or ball. Elliot may be a meyer guy...but dunn showed up this spring. And ball has been a guy who is willing to do whatever it takes to get any kind of time on the field.

+1 HS

Every word Ive seen this Spring was EzE is going to be the main man and Samuel if he can prove he can hang onto the ball and take a few balls up the gut are going to be the 1-2 punch. Rod Smith was up there then disappeared with his "Full workload". One of Dunn or Ball is going to carve out some reps this year and one is going to be riding a lot of pine. Not enough footballs to go to everyone that deserves one. I would actually cheer one whichever one decided to leave so that they could fulfill their dream. Either could start on multiple B1G teams.

luckynutz's picture

Dunn would be the more likely of the two to move along. And in my estimation he woukd have taken his redshirt season to find a new home. But he used it the right way. To better himself physically and mentalky, and come back ready to fight for touches. I just dont see i from either guy. Dunn woukd have worried me last offseason...but after the live he has gotten from his position coach this spring i dont think hes given up.

Crimson's picture

Every word Ive seen this Spring was EzE is going to be the main man and Samuel

To be fair, we've all heard this from the press, but we've heard nothing from within the football staff.  Honestly, I'm not expecting EZE to be #1 this year because he got backup carries last year.  I'm expecting that someone will step up, and I know at least one of Smith, Dunn, and Ball is capable of being an Ohio State starter.

+1 HS

Yea thats fine I have friends that get to watch practices so I'll put my money on EzE being the workhorse unless something bad happens. I think Smith will sneak in and could take that spot  "if" he finally gets his shit in order. All 4 players could start for almost any team in the B1G. What I think will separate that is EzE's top end speed. Kid ran a 4.4..We all have an opinion and I will respect you for yours. There is no wrong angle to route for.

Crimson's picture

It's nice to hear someone with a source rather than that he was the main backup last year.

+1 HS

Yea it isnt much info but when I hear something solid from people I have known my whole life I'll defend their word. EzE has a "chance" to be one of the greats here. Like I said before Dunn and Ball are no slouches and either could start for most B1G teams. One of them is going to have a major role this year and one of them isnt. Rod Smith is a true wild card at the moment. Earlier observations were he was tearing it up and looking like a Heisman candidate. Still a whole fall camp to observe and  get things sorted out. I'll tell you one thing for certain and that is folks are going to be highly impressed with our running game this year. Might even shock a few people how good we are going to be. Brax will be running less and passing more and the box is going to open up a little freeing RB's for home runs.

+1 HS
Max Power's picture

Yes, Ball EzE ans Dunn have 3 years of eligibilty. But, I have a feeling that either Dunn or Ball will transfer at seasons end, depending on who is left on the sidelines more. If we land Harris and/or Scott, I would assume that the Dunn/Ball carries will be depleted even more. I would be ecstatic to have both in this years recruiting coup. Nyheim Hines has slot/H back written all over him if we get his Herbie Hancock on NSD. (Althought the same was said about Curtis Samuel and he is, presently, at RB eliminating even more available carries for Dunn and Ball. Pure speculation though. The offseason makes me over think everything out of.sheer boredom)

luckynutz's picture

I dont get why people think dunn or ball will leave. The competition is still open. And if they were scared they would be gone already. These guys understand what they signed up for. Being a running back at The Ohio State University is a privilege. 5 heisman running backs. The only two time heisman winner. You dont just come here and start. It is earned. And if they werent on board to earn it theyd be gone.

Groveport_Buckeye's picture

Harris and Scott would be nasty!!!!

+7 HS

Hey if we can land 2 of the top 5 RB's in the Country I will do a Bosa back flip and post it on this site. It would be highly entertaining and I'd celebrate from the local I.C.U.

+7 HS

Just use a trampoline!!!

+1 HS
+1 HS

Yea see Hines would most likely play the Pivot/H and be more of what Dontre is going to be this year.Kid is a super burner with good hands. Dont think his recruitment  would be effected by any of the top RB's.

+1 HS

Yup, I don't see him as a RB at TOSU. Scott looks like a perfect fit for the power spread and I think you have to keep recruiting Harris b/c of how good he is. Definitely a nice problem to have.

Danify's picture

Something is positively moving toward Ohio State in Larry Scott's recruitment as Birm CB'd him to the good guy. That's when I know we have a legit shot.

crusher's picture

Totally agree Danify. I've been following recruiting hard core since 2002 and out of everyone in the business I respect the opinion of Birm the most. Dude is the best. If Birm cast a crystal ball for a recruit I really start to pay attention. I hope he is right about Scott.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

305Buck's picture

Now hearing Scott is a silent commit. Commmitted in the past 24 hours, its just not out yet. Stay tuned.

And no we wouldnt be out of it for Harris.

Im just speculating, but I think this isnt out yet because the staff wants to be 100% sure that it wont affect Harris.

+6 HS
Jangs78's picture

"Now hearing Scott is a silent commit. Commmitted in the past 24 hours, its just not out yet. Stay tuned."

Where does one hear this type of info???  I'm starting to feel out of the loop!  haha  Is it all just Twitter and blog comments and chatter or does it have substance?

305Buck's picture

Someone passed the info to me after hearing it from someone very close to the staff.

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

"I would be shocked" - bucknuts staff on asking about a silent commitment from Scott

Byaaaahhh's picture

It's been seven hours COME ON MAN.

osu407's picture

For those of you who are concerned with how this affects Harris, back in the end of March Birm said they wouldn't affect each other.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football-recruiting/2014/03/346...

It's in the comments.

+4 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Christmas in July?

FROMTHE18's picture

how many RBs are we looking to take? 2? There are so many options but I really dig Harris and Hines. 

Hayze's picture

Ideally the staff wants 2 RBs and one 'fly' back (Prercy Harvin). 

Harris and either Scott or Weber for the RBs and EGW (or Hines if we turn EGW loose) for the fly back.

I don't think taking Scott would impact Harris. It will impact Weber, IMO.

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Is the staff higher on Scott than Weber? I know Harris is probably #1 but whose the 1B out of Scott and Weber. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Buckeye Knight's picture

I was really digging the thought of Harris and Hines, but Scott and Weber too?  Who do you slow play in this situation???

osubuck57's picture

That's the question of all questions Buckeye Knight!! All four are great players, but think it really comes down to 3..Harris, Scott, and Weber because Hines is more of a "Dontre/slot" type, so he doesn't really equate into the RB spot per say. If I had to take 2, give me Harris and Scott. And we take Hines for the slot.

Weber probably goes to MSU in that scenario.

SCOTTC.

otrain2416's picture

This whole RB recruiting this year has honestly thrown me for a loop  with the interests shifting between MSU and the good guys. It looks like guys could be shut out of our class if they decide to pull the trigger too late because I feel like at  this point in time, Harris, Scott, and Weber are all very high on OSU. Now I have not seen the staffs board, but I believe we will take 2 RBs this year if the right two want in. I feel like the pecking order is

• 1A- Damien Harris
  • 1B- Larry Scott, Mike Weber, Jacques Patrick 

Nyhein Hines- I see him fitting more in the slot/ pivot role in our offense. 

teddyballgame's picture

Hines looks like he could be a potential EGW replacement if that becomes necessary.

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Whatever position Hines ends up playing, I'd like to see him come here.  I loved that kid's film.

+3 HS

Could be. Hopefully EGW can weather the storm and find a way in this class.

BuckeyeJ's picture

Good comment OT an BK---would luv  to have Hines as the HBack. Webber/or Patrick would be and awesome backfield coming in to what we already have

buckeyeguy0615's picture

I love Hines' film and I think he's blazing fast. I hope he comes here but you can't expect me to believe he runs a 4.30 forty unless you expect me to believe a third of the guys he plays against all run 4.3's and 4.2's lol

buckeyeguy0615's picture
+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Ari Wasserman has good story at Cleveland.com about Chris Clark and how he could see himself playing for a coach like Urban Meyer and  and talks about OSU Tradition.......good read

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/06/four-star_prospect_chris_...

Definitely the last couple years, Michigan State has dominated the Big Ten,"

Going 7-6 in 2012 isn't exactly dominating.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Did he really say that? That's kind of ridiculous. 

BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Shows how important one game is. We talked about the B1G loss and bowl loss affecting recruiting. Even if OSU won the B1G and got blown out by FSU, a case could be made that it is and will always be Big 1, little 13. One game and it feels like a wide open conference.

+1 HS
buckskin's picture

Lock up the hometown Ohio guy and pair him up with 1. Harris or 2. Weber. I'd be thrilled with either combination.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie

RunEddieRun1983's picture

I love that we're staying on course with all the top Ohio guys.  I feel that recruiting in your borders is most important.  You can't land them all, and I'm sure Urbz and co. don't need to land them all, but you have to get that top tier of home grown talent.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

20156 looks like it will be loaded with quality O-Linemen.   Will be a fun pitch to sell them on blocking for this stable of running backs if we land guys like Harris, Scott, and or Weber.

BuckeyeJ's picture

After last years injurys we need all these backs. One goes down the other steps up