Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Urbans comments at the after camp dinner

Woodysghost's picture
June 1, 2014 at 10:53pm
82 Comments

Saw this come across twitter today (so perhaps take it with a grain of salt). Was interested to see your guys' take on it. 

Do you think going right at Michigan and calling them out is a good thing in front of recruits or do you feel we should try and stay away from negative recruiting? 

Also apologies if this was posted somewhere already. I looked quick and didn't find it anywhere else. 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Truth hurts.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+28 HS
Woodysghost's picture

Im with you, I say give it to the kids straight and if that means bashing Michigan a little then so be it. Not like anything he supposedly said was a lie. 

+5 HS
LouGroza's picture

Urban could have heard ttun had been doing some of the same stuff to OSU and decided if that is how they want to play, let's go. That was my first thought. This is really uncommon and I will bet anything it was payback time. Don't forget, Urban will choke you out over checkers,...checkers mind you.

+3 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Is that source at all credible?  It is being tweeted by a Michigan fan.

+1 HS
Woodysghost's picture

Not sure if its totally credible. So like i said, take this with a grain of salt. 

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

I'd like to believe it's a total farce because we don't need to explicitly negatively recruit Michigan at a camp; I have no problem if it's a 1-on-1 visit. Honestly though, it might have happened. If it did, I could easily see the times being exaggerated, though. Some of the most common lies. Probably more like 6-7 minutes talking and a 3-4 minute video

+2 HS
rosycheeks's picture

There's a lot of lying that goes on in recruiting. Obviously Urban's looking to take the high road and be honest with these kids. Kudos to him. No one wants to see some poor innocent kid ruin his life at Michigan.

+28 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Firstly, I wouldn't trust this is completely accurate. Even if it is, I have no problem with it. Usually I would prefer to stay away from it and sell yourself.  However, recruiting is extremely competitive.  scUM is a competitor and has never made any bones about coming after the best of the best in OH. Our product is very, very good right now, and product performance vs scUM speaks for itself. And the fact is, scUM staff has underperformed. You wanna win at a high level, come here. No, go somewhere else. 

BroJim's picture

Give the kids the information, give kids your point of view about the information, let them make the decision. What's wrong with that?

IDK about the whole "player's fault" bit. Indeed, taking this with a grain of salt.

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
Northbrook's picture

Did he mention MSU?

+1 HS
hodge's picture

It's pretty tough to look objectively at Brady Hoke's tenure and not see issues.  And with Ohio State and Michigan both recruiting the same calibre of player, it's a pretty honest assessment -- the same way it'd be honest for Hoke to mention that Meyer's had past issues with burning out spectacularly (a tactic that, coincidentally, is more effective the better the Buckeyes are).  

Call it negative recruiting if you will, but as BroJim mentioned above, it's really about making sure these young men make the most informed decision possible.

+4 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Don't know if true or not, but their records speak for themselves. Urban has 2 national championships and did win 24 straight here while Hoke has done nothing.

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I feel like he told them exactly what was going on up there. The coaches don't develop. They basically still have a bunch of 4 & 5 star high school kids competing against college kids the way I look at it. Yeah you get older and mature but does your game mature when you head up to AA? You'll get bigger from weight programs and accustomed to the system and scheme but are you really getting better? They've had ridiculous offensive line classes the past 3-4 years and you can't end up with a single positive rushing yard in two straight games? That's sorry. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Jordan Wagner's picture

Damien Harris did not visit as the tweet claims. 

Osubuckiii's picture

What he states doesn't seem accurate.  Hilliard had to leave early to get back to Cincinnati.  Just some troll trying to make some noise.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Woody would have gone right at TTUN as well as ripping his hat to shreds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Negative recruiting happens every day, I'm sure Hoke does it in between bites as well.

+7 HS
Oyster's picture

Probably chews with his mouth open too.

+1 HS
jpbuckeye's picture

...and knuckle dragger.

Would someone give highlights  of the comments? I can not open link at work (I know perhaps I should not be here during work hours :-)

NYCBuckeye's picture

A random screen shot of a facebook post from a random guy on twitter with ~150 followers?

Yeah, seems legit.

+11 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Who the hell reffered to us as Suckeyes? Thats what I want to know first. Secondly he didnt lie and recruiting has changing drastically in just the last 10 years. I know first hand sec schools will talk mad shit about their division rivals then turn around and tell you committing to KY,Vandy,Or Tenn will put you in the league faster then playing for USC,ND,tOSU,UM,Ore, they have entered crazy town where they recruit so hard against each other but then try to keep the kids in conference. At least we have stayed recruiting at a top 5 level because the other B1G schools have been getting choked out the last few years. I do not mind coaches showing intelligent recruits information about how mediocre our bitter rival has been. Good job.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

FROMTHE18's picture

Many of these kids are getting recruited by SEC schools and negative recruiting is something that is a part of life down there, so they are used to it Im sure. It happens everywhere and don't believe for one second Michigan and other B1G schools don't attempt to negatively recruit against OSU. But, as some have said, its twitter, who knows whats legit and whats not legit. If it is legit, Im okay with it. 

+1 HS

The reason we lovehate Mgo.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/urban-negative-recruiting-michigan

I think it's hilarious how they went from predicting M*chigan winning the BigTen to hanging their hat on a one point loss at home.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Man, that site is hideous... we're pretty lucky.

+6 HS

I enjoyed this:

Hey!!

Hoke is undefeated in moral victories against OSU. And the new Michigan standard is moral victory >>>> actual victory. Can't recruits see and understand this?!?!?!

+4 HS
CTBuckeyeFan's picture

My personal favorite:

Not unlike the rest of us.

I contend that Michigan gets a different kind of recruit. For the most part, we have kids that do better in the classroom and are more involved with community service. Great talent with a propensity for bad behavior is not welcomed at Michigan like it is at Ohio.

Convicted felon on the team, rapist kicking field goals for them, sociopath at LT.......... Oh the irony.

+11 HS
teddyballgame's picture

As I recall we were one play away from beating OSU last year

And they've subsequently folded in the following two games...

I think we take it to them this year

+7 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'd rather lose two close games to top-10 teams than get embarrassed by a Kansas State team that lost to an FCS team earlier in the same season.

But hey, moral victories are TSUN's thing now, right?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

If I recall, Michelin and Alabama lost their last two games last fall as well. (Enter cliché about glass houses)

Lost their final 3. M*chigan was a false start call away against from losing 6 straight games.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

You are correct, sir. Kudos.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

LOL. Their delusion has no bounds. 

jmoore3309's picture

I can't lie, popping over to Mgo every now and then does wonders.  Having survived the late 80's an the 90's, it is a clear example of Kharma.  The thing that brings me the most joy however is the fact that their fan base hasn't realized yet that in the modern era of the game, their brief period of dominance has been an anomaly.  While our recent run has been extremely one sided, and probably due to end at some point, it is most likely that we will remain on the positive side of things into the future.  Unless of course, the significant talent advantage that Ohio enjoys over Michigan (high school) is suddenly flipped.  Nah, that ain't happening.  

Go Bucks!

+5 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I can't lie, popping over to Mgo every now and then does wonders.  

I used to go over to Mgo quite a bit during the early Tressel years. I was a great feeling after the 90s. But one can only take so much of that horse shit.

Byaaaahhh's picture

the recruits was eating it up

Just... so hard to give this post credibility when the language makes me cringe. 

+11 HS
nm_buck's picture

Like we never get negatively recruited....

+7 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Negatively Recruited - have you ever watched Espin?

+7 HS
BHT's picture

Could someone enlighten me: where is the lie?

+4 HS
Furious George 27's picture

This lost credibility when I read it was an 8 min video.... 8 mins is not long enough to cover all that is wrong with *ichigan football.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+20 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Find it funny they tried to make themselves feel better by calling us "Suckeye", while following it up with "[Suckeye] players crushing *ichigan players"...

haha, just found that funny

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I can't see Urban saying some of these things. I think there is probably some truth to it, just not the exaggerated story posted above. 

+2 HS
KingsRite's picture

It's a Rivalry and it's recruiting. Whether correctly portrayed or not...I don't see a problem here. Maybe he put the Marcus Hall | | at the end of the video for good measure. ;)

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

jameslee203's picture

Love it!!! I hate Mich and jabba Hoke too.  Hoke built his first two classes on tat-gate.  Think on the Kyle Kalis recruitment before you lecture urbs about right and wrong.

+5 HS
osubuck57's picture

Negative recruiting happens everywhere. If you don't think coaches bash OSU, I got a dollar condo I want to sell you!! Have zero problem with Urban doing some of the same, IF in fact it happened.

SCOTTC.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well said 57 - now that's the truth!

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I'll bite for a dollar. 

+2 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Woody would be proud!

razrback16's picture

Don't have a problem with it against Michigan since they took advantage of us when we were down a few years ago. Hoke told recruits like Kalis and Thomas that we were getting heavy sanctions and would be terrible for years to come and they shouldn't have to suffer those sanctions, etc. While Hoke to a degree was being honest about those recruits not deserving sanctions, so is Urban, here. Telling it like it is. Their coaches (especially on offense) have done just a terrible job of coaching up those players. And it's a fact that Urban came in and took a very poorly coached team from 2011 and turned them into a 12-0 squad with mostly the previous regime's players who were recruited to run a different system and then followed that year up with another 12-0 regular season and lost to two really good teams at the end in two very competitive, hard-fought games.

Go for it, Urb.

-1 HS
CTBuckeyeFan's picture

Hoke told recruits like Kalis and Thomas that we were getting heavy sanctions and would be terrible for years to come and they shouldn't have to suffer those sanctions, etc. While Hoke to a degree was being honest about those recruits not deserving sanctions

The irony is, the only sanction they would have endured was an undefeated season without a bowl game while The Fat Man subjected them to an 8-5 season and a loss in the ever prestigious Outback Bowl.

Seems to me having Hoke as a HC is a far greater sanction than anything the NCAA did to us.

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture
+5 HS
Burnsy's picture

That's a beautiful graph! I knew Hoke was overrated but this really helps put it into black and white. Thanks.

+1 HS
CentralFloridaBuckeye's picture

Wow, excellent info!  This shows is pretty clear.  Thanks for finding this.

Go Bucks!!

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

If people recall, there were a number of times through the year that Hoke did subtly blame the players as opposed to the coaching...which is a no no in most people's books. So whether this is true or not (the tweet), it was something I noticed a few times when UM lost. 

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
zacisone's picture

Urban is Urban. I don't think the man lies a lot so I am not going hang him out for telling the truth. That is IF he even said those things. Go Bucks!

Zacisone

Damonbuckeye's picture

I seem to remember when JHoke first got to scUM his recruits were talking cash money isht about tTOSU, burning recruting letters and talk about blood on the field that idiot qb Morris said he was going 4~0 against tOSU etc. etc. Jhoke didn't have 2 words to say about it and I feel the same way now that the shoe is on the other foot for scUM..

-1 HS
Art Harrell's picture

The Great Woody Hayes is smiling------------------------Go Bucks

buckeyedude's picture

"Recruits 'was' eating it up."

I don't know if I believe this, but if true, I'm sure it wasn't hard for Urban to find video of Buckeye players crushing Michelin players.

What if Urban just said, "You know what men? Michigan sucks." Would that be considered "negative recruiting?"

BucksFan2000's picture

If we're playing "JV or all balls", this is all balls.

+1 HS
LouBuck35's picture

Upvote for any reference to the DFG.  Get it on!

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+1 HS
Adam21's picture

One of my favorites from the mgo thread...

My buddy's Daughter is friends with one of the recruits that took his offical visit there this weekend and told her pretty much the same thing.

So, the game of "telephone" went from the recruit to the recruit's friend to the recruit's friend's parent to the recruit's friend's parent's buddy. Yeah, I'm sure that is accurate...

Not to mention that "official" visits are happening now?

+4 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

There be trolls in here I say, Trolls!

This be troll work, and any scUM that buy it (and most will since they are scUM) deserve the delusions that come with it.  The dude that posted this (edit: fb guy) has a history of questionable posts.  That said, truth hurts!

Go Bucks!

Woodysghost's picture

As in I have a history of questionable posts? 

I think he's referring to the guy that posted it on Facebook.

Go1Bucks's picture

Thanks BvW.  Yes, that FB guy.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
SFBuckeye's picture

I'm good with the TSUN bashing, but I'd prefer he directed his venom towards the SEC.  He has to have some good anecdotal evidence to benefit TOSU.

iamcbs's picture

I believe this whole thing is garbage, UFM wouldn't spend 10 minutes talking about TSUN, with a room full of recruits. TROLL, TROLL, TROLL.

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep, I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion~Alexander the Great

Toilrt Paper's picture

I would think all recruits would know all about U of M's failures before Urban brought it up.

BUCKSOMIES's picture

True or not, scum still sucks.

KBonay's picture

I'm just going to leave this here.....

+14 HS
otrain2416's picture

This is clearly Gardners natural position 

+6 HS
razrback16's picture

"I mean, we always have room for improvement, but this is definitely a championship-caliber football team that will win in the Big House, you know, against Ohio State. We don’t feel like we’re inferior to anyone in the country and we’re going to give it our all."

- Devin Gardner, June 2013

----------------------

Love it, Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

+1 for the angle I have never seen before!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice find K

+1 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

Look, I have a good friend who has a son who is best friends with a guy who has a cousin, and the cousin said his girlfriend was close to a girl who dated the friend of one of these attendees at the camp. 

His girlfriend said this was all bullshit.  And I believe her.

+8 HS
skid21's picture

Has there been ANY verification of this from anyone creditable? This has been all over social media but I have yet to see any creditable source saying it actually happened. Does that even matter anymore?

lsjSnail's picture

the mgo thread is a fucking hoot. Most delusional group of fans possible.

-1 HS

Tell you guys what. I was a happy camper when the wifey arrived with dinner tonight. Hoke would be jealous.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

That was actually Hoke's midday snack.  I'm not sure what you're talking about.

+2 HS

Well played indeed.

Seattle Linga's picture

If that is his mid-day snack what's this?

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Coffee break!

Go Bucks!