Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

'15 OL Steven Gonzalez Commits to Penn State

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
March 29, 2014 at 5:13pm
95 Comments

The Nittany Lions had been making a push for a while and continue their hot early start.

UrbanCulture's picture

We really need a commitment soon. Or a class leader. 

+3 HS
laishley15's picture

Damn!  Sucks the staff was never able to get him on campus for a visit.

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Seriously.  In all the interviews it sounded like we were pushing for him hard and the interest was mutual... but then he doesn't even visit us before making up his mind? wtf

+14 HS
buckeyedude's picture

That GIF sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Seattle Linga's picture

Anyone know if we were close or if he was in our top ten lineman to get?

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

Wow that sucks. He was supposed to be a big Buckeye lean.

Credit to Franklin.

+4 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

You are right Hayze , credit to Franklin. If we couldn't land him I'm glad someone in the B1G did. Coach Meyer wanted the rest of the coaches to step it up....PSU has gotten the message!!!  And this means we will get someone else just as good or better. I'm not worried I believe. 

Kid Gloves's picture

PSU has done a nice job recruiting lately - this is going to be good in years to come.

+1 HS
LouGroza's picture

Shows you that anything that any of these kids say is to be taken as just talk. He was as pro OSU as anyone and he commits to PSU? Not playing in a bowl game must be a big recruiting tool. Franklin is going to mess around and piss Urban off. 

BassDropper's picture

I can't even lie, James Franklin is absolutely owning Urban right now and it needs to stop. 

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS
Damonbuckeye's picture

Yea?? We'll see who owns who when tOSU goes to Happy Valley later on this year.. Me thinks the results will be similar to the ass kicking they recieved last year..

+5 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

We'll win, but we're not going on the road—at night—and throwing up that same score. Not happening.

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Brady Hoke has started his last few classes out like this and we still ended up doing better than him in the end. I'm not saying we're guaranteed to have a better class than PSU this year, but we're not sunk by any means. Plus, maybe it will be fun to have at least one other coach in the B1G who isn't a total incompetent boob. (lookin at you Brady)

Our Honor Defend!

+5 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

angry, didn't see your post but I said the same thing below. Pretty ridiculous to declare that Franklin "owns" Meyer 11 months before NSD. Needs to change his screen name to Chicken Little!

+2 HS
FitzBuck's picture

We just need to get targets to the spring game and Friday night lights.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+2 HS
rdubs's picture

No surprise here, he has long been thought to going to PSU and it seems we've been focusing on a lot of other guys recently.

-3 HS
BassDropper's picture

Oh really, is that so??? Please don't make excuses it makes our fan base look incredibly stupid. Gonzo was on record for the longest time stating OSU was his leader. Maybe he was playing the game, but who really knows.

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
SilverState's picture

I'm pretty surprised as well. Still:

+10 HS
Wesleyburgess1's picture

Chill guys. Looking at the scholly numbers we only need two maybe three( If Decker Leaves Early) offensive linemen this year. Im not worried at all. Were still in on Jenkins and Richmond plus a couple more. We may not win the rankings war but we will be ok in the end. Besides Urban might flip him on NSD. Now that would be better than getting him now.

-1 HS
Woodshed's picture

FWIW, IMO there is almost 0 chance Jenkins comes here and I am 100% cool with that for various reasons.

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

Okay well based on what I had read recently I wasn't surprised.  I guess we each got different impressions from what we had seen.  No need for attacks.  I am not saying that we didn't want him, he's a big time player.

+2 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Pot meet kettle. No worse than the stupid comment you made about Franklin owning Meyer after a lineman, who hasn't yet visited tOSU, commits to Penn St 11 months before national signing day. Talk about overreacting!  Franklin's the flavor of the month right now. Michigan did better to begin the last two recruiting cycles. Did Hoke end up "owning" Meyer?

+7 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Wrong. We wanted this kid, and badly. Let's man up a bit here.

+3 HS
2002osubuck's picture

They don't have any players so hes selling these kids that they can come in right away and play. We'll still get the guys we want and finish top 5 like Meyer's last 3 classes. With the playoffs coming, we need the other  B1G teams to get better players, making our strength of schedule better.

+2 HS
zoetaite's picture

He is doing the same sale pitch that Hokey Pokey has been doing. In the end it's all about results. NSD is 11 months away. A lot can and will change in that time frame.

ZT

teddyballgame's picture

Quite a surprise.

What's up with recruits not even visiting all of their 'top schools' before pulling the trigger?  Did he think PSU was going to disappear overnight or something? 

+1 HS
kholmes's picture

Yeah..i find this one along with Clark's commitment to be bizarre. Perhaps coaches are trying to get soft commitments early telling recruits they are OK if they visit elsewhere after committing so they might as well do it now. Clark already has visits schedule to Nd, OSU, and UM but it still is good from UNC's perspective as 1) it creates buzz about the program getting big time recruits and 2) ties the recruit to the school so that school will have an insider's track with the recruit as the "incumbent" school so will make their chance better in long run than if the recruit waited and the school was just one of many. I guess the test is how many of these guys who pull trigger early without visiting their top schools end up making visits to other schools. 

+3 HS
LouGroza's picture

The PSU roster is depleted. What they do have for the most part is not what we know of as PSU talent of a few years back. They are offering immediate playing time. They have a long way to go and will need a few years of top notch classes to get back to where they once were. To act like a great class puts them anywhere but marginally better is not practical. Anyone remember 63-7 in 2013? Urban doesn't take the first kid that comes along that says they will play for him. He is and has been selective. This initial burst of energy Franklin has put into their recruiting is by no means indicative of Urban and OSU being out recruited at this time of year.

+3 HS
YoungBUCK14's picture

Gotta figure he'll make his way to Columbus for a visit, kid loves the Buckeyes, 

On another note James Franklin is a snake

BUCKEYE BORN AND BRED

-4 HS
BassDropper's picture

yep, Franklin is a snake because he is getting top notch recruits...what does that make Urban?

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
YoungBUCK14's picture

BUCKEYE BORN AND BRED

+12 HS
BassDropper's picture
-1 HS
YoungBUCK14's picture

Gotta love the challenge recruiting in the B1G, going to be huge in the long run but Franklin just strikes me as being a little slippery/sneaky, bringing his SEC tactics up onto our moral highground 

BUCKEYE BORN AND BRED

-3 HS
BassDropper's picture

Well so far there is no substance to that statement. You know what the SEC fans say about Urban and how he isn't supposed to get "SEC talent" to come play in the B1G. That's just a ridiculous statement, and our fans are starting to sound like those same SEC fans.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
YoungBUCK14's picture

Woah woah woah I'm not one to be taken that seriously just a slight jab following a heavy buckeye lean commiting to PSU before visiting us. No need to start on what what those outsiders say of our beloved Urban. Go Bucks

BUCKEYE BORN AND BRED

-3 HS
My2Sons's picture

our 'beloved' Urban?  He's the Buckeye's head football coach, not my deceased dad or grandmother.

-2 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Damn I'm kind of butt hurt abt this one. Oh well onto real life concerns lol

O'Deez330
stark county football

BukFan's picture

When does PSU start only getting 1* recruits??  Did this narrative just go up in flames??

-1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

O'Brien's first class certainly wasn't full of stars, that's for sure. Still, I know what you're saying, and their demise was greatly overplayed.

-1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

PSU is positioned better than any team in the B1G to compete with OSU in recruiting.  Michigan, remarkably, still seems to be able to recruit nationally, but the pool of high school talent in Michigan is shallow.  MSU might have turned a corner, but though they might be more competitive regionally in recruiting, it is hard to see them reeling in many of the big fish nationally.  PSU has a good local talent pool, good access to the talent in NJ and the Mid-Atlantic, a national reputation, and a coach who knows the south.  Even before the scandal, PSU was a moribund program under JoePa's Zombie regime.  The program needed to be completely purged, and BOB did a good job transitioning them through the worst of it.  Now Franklin is there with a ton of energy, pitching an historic program to kids who will never be affected by the sanctions.  IF PSU can hold on to Franklin, they should be a formidable program in the coming years.

scrappled's picture

As a Penn State fan who has occasionally stopped by to commiserate, this is exactly what I've dreamed for Penn State since the late 1990's.  PSU fans owe Bill O'Brien all the gratitude imaginable for holding things together and modernizing the program in two short years.  The S&C program was completely scrapped and built back up from zilch.  BOB brought in enough good recruits to remain competitive, if not exactly threatening, on a regular basis.  Now Franklin has a real race car to drive -- sanctions are being reduced and we have the location, stadium, fan support, and resources to compete with anybody.  Many of us keep saying "if they can coach as well as they can recruit..." but I give them the benefit of the doubt for doing anything at Vandy.

Exciting times.  Our division is going to be insane, especially once we really ramp up in a year or two.

+3 HS
weimerad's picture

What a joke seriously. OSU was his leader for months and then Franklin and Penn St swoop in and get a commitment after only a few weeks. You guys can all say I'm crazy or overreacting or whatever, but Urban has real trouble getting commitments from the OL position. I had Gonzalez being the 1st OL to commit and soon as as close to a lock as there is. I know there are plenty more OL out there but I'm very disappointed by this

-5 HS
rdubs's picture

I would hardly say that last year's class is an indication that Urban can't get OL recruits.  Jones, Jones, Knox, Trout, and Taylor.  If we do that well every time we'll be fine.

+6 HS
teddyballgame's picture

You're might be onto something here.  Both Jamarco Jones and Demetrius Knox flirted with decommitting/taking other visits ...gave us some scares.

Probably didn't help that word got out that Warriner was interviewing for other jobs in the offseason either.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Wait. What? Meechy flirted with decommitting? Horse manure. Dude was never going to be anything but a Buckeye. I was a little worried about Jones though.

SonOfBuckeye's picture

...Urban has real trouble getting commitments from the OL position

247 (2014) Top classes by position: OL

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

+16 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

long way to go before NSD 2015, much can change.

weimerad's picture

Plus Penn St is the favorite for Sterling Jenkins and the addition of Gonzalez only helps their case. 

I have this feeling that OSU will not get any of their top  4 or 5 OL targets. And that includes Drew Richmond. I'm vey concerned that he ends up at Tenn

-1 HS
MAVBuck's picture

Big surprise! Think there's a chance he flips?

jamesrbrown322's picture

Gotta admit that this is kind of shocking. I thought he was an OSU lean all along.

I get the feeling that PSU is going to get Wimbush and Fitzpatrick too. But hey, it's been a while since I was a 17 year old kid, so what do I know about their thought process?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Woodshed's picture

They aren't getting Fitzpatrick. Probably get wimbush though.

sivaDavis's picture

Once again guys, it's March lol. What's Urban's saying about committing early? There are gonna be flips, decommitments, in home visits, official and unofficial visits, etc. Long way to go, I'd be willing to say if he's as high on Urban's radar as I think he is, he'll take an official to Columbus. TTC -Trust The Closer.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Ericgobucks's picture

I agree with you, it's just this lack of momentum that is frustrating considering with who we are and what we have done recently. It always works out, but it's been too quiet for too long. 

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I agree. The lack of commits is seriously affecting my 11w hits. 

I know it will pick up, it just seems like we have no momentum, when the opposite is true. 

Knarcisi's picture

You're an Ohio Valley guy. What town?

Seattle Linga's picture

Stalker.............J/K

Knarcisi's picture

In the Ohio Valley, there was nothing better to do. I formed some bad habits. 

HotSauceCommittee's picture

Buckeye Local school district. 

You? 

Knarcisi's picture

Shadyside. Graduated in 91. 

sivaDavis's picture

When you're going after the cream of the crop, the recruiting is going to be slow. You have late commitments and kids that wanna wait and take all these officials. Every year we doubt our class and every year it comes out top 5. I'm frustrated as well but it happens. These early commitments rarely stick and kids still hear from coaches from now until February. It's a long ways away. I'm looking forward to this season, then after that starts I'll start paying more and more attention to this recruiting process. It's just so damn early guys, so damn early.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed SD - Too much time - way too much time.............

+1 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

I know it's frustrating for me, too. There's not even Buckeye Basketball to keep me distracted. 

Eph97's picture

Franklin is off to a hot start as expected, just like Hoke was. He can sell early playing time and say whatever he wants to recruits without a record to hinder him. His on field results will determine how he does going forward. Hoke's recruiting has started to flounder based on his on field results. My guess is Urban will close strongly just like's done in the past. If anything, I expect recruiting to be even stronger with the Larry Johnson addition to the staff. It's early and OSU doesn't have to be desperate to take recruits.

+3 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

James Franklin using the same techniques as he did in the $EC. Money talks. Of course, im only saying this because Ohio State is off to a slow start and Penn State is not.

Buckeye fan from PA

-4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

In the past we've had a ton of early recruits committing, but Urban said he was going to be a lot more choosy going forward and maybe his plan is to get the elite cream of the crop when it's all said and done. I trust his recruiting method. 

BengalErnst's picture

Moving on to the next one. This train doesn't stop.

Nicholas l Ernst

+2 HS
Duccivespucci's picture

I just don't have that great of a feeling for this class. I know it's early and will pick up but there seems to be a lack of cohesivenous. No real leader. All it takes is 1 guy to do that. I figure it will be an ok class, somewhere between 10-15 rank. That's fine since the last 3 classes have been top 5. It will probably be a 1 year thing once people see how things unfold on the field. 

Franklin is no joke, and he's much more accomplished the Hoke in my opinion. To win and be bowl eligible at Vandy in the SEC is far better then playing in bowls at San Diego St. The B1G East is going to be ligit sans Maryland and Rutgers.

Michael

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

You know what?  This is not going to ruin my mood with getting Anthony Lee and not having to suffer another year watching Amir Williams. We have plenty of time to flip him or find other OL. I'm good. 

BuckeyeLuv's picture

Next man up! We r THE BUCKEYES!

Always BuckeyeLuv!

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

We are being negative recruited to death.. LJsr is losing a shit load of battles out in his main area and I have to say Im surprised. I remember when he first got here all the former players kind of joked about wondering if they could trust him to be loyal. Well he has given the conspiracy theorist some nice stuff to discuss. Where are your recruits LJ?

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-4 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Johnson recruits DC/MD/VA and Gonzalez is a NJ kid... what's your point?

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS

My point is is that Im pissed a heavy Buckeye lean committed to PSU before even visiting. Im highly intoxicated and making up shit as I go,please do not provide a speed bump along this journey.

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

You're intoxicated at noon on a Sunday...? What are you doing with your life?

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Johnson doesn't get every recruit ever, and he won't. To boot, find a better X's and O's coach—and that's what we need!

HilltopHustle's picture

This really floors me. Wow. Nothing else to say other than Penn State is going to be "back" within a few years, which is good for the conference as a whole.

FROMTHE18's picture

next season (2015) they will be one of the favorites to win the B1G no doubt. 3rd year starting QB, decent depth (especially considering how the y got hammered by the NCAA). I think 2015 will be the first true Urban/Franklin battles for supremacy, both should have top-5/top-10 worthy teams. 

Woodshed's picture

No way. It takes much more than a qb to be top 5-10. They have no depth now and will have 1 more class to add depth between now and then. Then that (lack of) depth has to be developed. 

People are vastly underestimating how crippling these scholarship reductions will continue to be.

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

I don't think they'll be in the top 10 in 2015 either because of said depth, though, we won't be either. We have to get the job done this year.

HilltopHustle's picture

Thinking 2015 is probably when they're competing as well. We'll be breaking in a new QB, some additional turnover, and Michigan will likely be undergoing their own coaching change (we'll see about that). As a whole, I don't think anybody in the East goes unbeaten in 2015.

-2 HS
ab1993's picture

breaking in a new QB

that has been here as long as Braxton or a redshirt sophomore. We shouldn't be worried about the QB situation.

Jesus Christ you sound like one of them....We have top 3 classes loaded up in back to back to back years and you think PSU with a "Handful" of good recruits is coming to sit on the iron throne? Absolutely redonkulous I say.

+3 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

When did I say that Penn State overtakes Ohio State? Competing ≠ Beating. I do think they'll compete, and why shouldn't I (or you) think otherwise for 2015?

ScarletNGrey01's picture

Franklin has a really good reputation, he is in that "honeymoon" mode, he's the new shiny toy and we can't discount that in spite of their recent issues they have, similar to us, a huge fanbase.  As much as we'd like every top recruit to sign up with the bucks, there are other programs and good coaches out there that are going to get their share.  Urban has had, what, three top five-ish top ten minimum recruiting seasons in a row?  Let's not get snarky just because another school nabbed a kid we wanted, in Urban I Trust, we'll get our share and have another good recruiting class and they'll be coached up better than any other school.

The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. -- Woody Hayes

Pa_snoborder's picture

Lets see what the scoreboard says about this. 

"No one puts baby in a corner!" - P.Swayze.

+1 HS

Anyone know if Franklin is a really tan white guy or just a super pale black guy? I have to say I find his complexion puzzling.

-1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Says the guy who criticized my opinion, can't read, and has a quote from Lil Wayne as his signature.

otrain2416's picture

Franklin just landed LB Josh Barajas who just recently picked up an OSU offer as well. Franklin is honestly killing it but its so early I'm not too worried. PSU has definitely won the March recruiting trophy and look to upset Michigan in its annual May recruiting championship. 

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

Franklin is killing it. Just got a commit from the #3 LB in the country. This is great for the B1G. The B1G won't be a laughing stock much longer due in large part to coaches like Urban, Dantonio, Franklin and Anderson. The B1G East is going to be one of the most competitive divisions in all of college football. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, and Michigan.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

And the B1G West has Kirk and Bo... they're a powerhouse duo.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

HilltopHustle's picture

Love this. These divisions are so misaligned that it's funny, but we all wanted geographical alignment and—well—here we are.

otrain2416's picture

In the defense of the alignment, no one knew that Sparty was going to have the breakout year it did especially after watching the first few games where they could barely score an offensive TD. Also no one knew O'Brien was gonna leave and Franklin was gonna come in and recruit like he is. 

HilltopHustle's picture

No doubt. It's really good for us too in the sense that we may be able to afford a loss one day and still manage to get into the playoff, which is something we never thought possible before.

otrain2416's picture

Ya I completely agree, I love the competitiveness it brings to the league. Plus Penn State is finally recruiting like I thought Penn State should be. Its just unfortunate that the division seems real unbalanced. 

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Is this recruitment over Birm or do you think he will be willing to come visit?